What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Ratings are through the roof in NZ now and the sky deal is 30 million, probably now worth 40..by the next deal, add another team in NZ team and it goes to 50 or 60 for the 2027 deal.
Outside of the noted extra game any team adds, another NZ adds an additional 20 to 30 million..instantly profitable for the NRL.
Sky has been choosing to broadcast the Warriors on their fta channel which actually shows their hand, they're invested in growing the following of the NRL ..
No doubt it's all part of the grand plan of V'landys.
Settle down mate.

Perth red was saying sky nz were going to cut the tv deal as were other trolls

fmd people just make up bs here

Christchurch would be hugely valuable to sky nz

Aussie tv has zero interest in a Perth nrl team
I honestly don't see the point in adding Perth when there are better options in Brisbane, Christchurch, Gosford, Port Moresby and Wellington. Even the Sunshine Coast has a better case than Perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ratings are through the roof in NZ now and the sky deal is 30 million, probably now worth 40..by the next deal, add another team in NZ team and it goes to 50 or 60 for the 2027 deal.
Outside of the noted extra game any team adds, another NZ adds an additional 20 to 30 million..instantly profitable for the NRL.
Sky has been choosing to broadcast the Warriors on their fta channel which actually shows their hand, they're invested in growing the following of the NRL ..
No doubt it's all part of the grand plan of V'landys.
:)

Really? Gosh we didn’t know that. Thanks for sharing.
Can you see why people are excited about New Zealand?

There's an opportunity to narrow the gap between RL and RU in NZ. If done correctly we could have an annual Australia vs New Zealand Test series to rival the Bledisloe Cup. It's just a matter of finding a spot in the calendar. Ideally we would have a 3 straight weeks of Origin in winter, followed by a Test series against New Zealand. While Queensland play NSW New Zealand can play against Samoa, Tonga and Fiji. If V'landys is serious about the Pacific then he needs to make something like this happen around June/July. The midpoint of the NRL season would be ideal.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Can you see why people are excited about New Zealand?

There's an opportunity to narrow the gap between RL and RU in NZ. If done correctly we could have an annual Australia vs New Zealand Test series to rival the Bledisloe Cup. It's just a matter of finding a spot in the calendar. Ideally we would have a 3 straight weeks of Origin in winter, followed by a Test series against New Zealand. While Queensland play NSW New Zealand can play against Samoa, Tonga and Fiji. If V'landys is serious about the Pacific then he needs to make something like this happen around June/July. The midpoint of the NRL season would be ideal.
V'landys scrapped the mid season tests.

The NRL, and therefore the ARLC most definitely isn't in favour of the Pacific internationals, and have demonstrated this via their actions.

All they care about is pillaging a few Union cast offs for the NRL clubs.

People need to settle down, 4 big crowds in NZ and suddenly the they need a billion dollar stadium and 3 new teams.

Let's see how it's all going in 2025, heck the end of 2024.

Vlad59

Juniors
Interesting dilemma the nrl faces here. On the face of it Perth is a no brainer for the 18th or 19th club and it’s my preference but you can’t deny the momentum in NZ right now. If PNG is still the go right now (which I don’t think it should be) then NZ2 may have just crept past Perth as the next other option. Mind you this is turning into Marathon event so things have time to change. I can’t see Brisbane 3 being a serious contender until the Dolphins settle in and that’ll take 5 years at least.

Dark Corner

Juniors
Interesting dilemma the nrl faces here. On the face of it Perth is a no brainer for the 18th or 19th club and it’s my preference but you can’t deny the momentum in NZ right now. If PNG is still the go right now (which I don’t think it should be) then NZ2 may have just crept past Perth as the next other option. Mind you this is turning into Marathon event so things have time to change. I can’t see Brisbane 3 being a serious contender until the Dolphins settle in and that’ll take 5 years at least.
Just rush Perth, PNG and NZ 2 in once like 1982/1988 and 1995....sooner then later...I hate the idea of PNG but wouldn't it be great if it was a successful.

final say

Juniors
Also be interesting to revisit the Google trends when the All Blacks start playing.
Why? Can't wait to get back to the safety of the All blacks?
We've covered this, it's about national pride, not a love for Union.
Paris Olympics will show the same search spike. It'll be funny when an event or 2 is trending as much as the All blacks...there's no reason not to see a spike for the All Blacks or an Olympic event NZ is a chance in.
Unless of course Kiwis stopped loving New Zealand?

Penrith fan

Juniors
The English and the Saffas have always been the problem...I bet the Japanese would love the NRL and I wonder if Peter V'landys has ever thought about taking a game to the land of the rising sun.
Yes the Japanese would embrace our game like they have baseball.

And two teams in NZ is a must.

Union is a crap slow boring game anyway.

final say

Juniors
Union isn't big in NZ, its just national pride that's big. - @final say
I didn't say that.
The All blacks are a national team, as a nation team is no metric for an appetite for Union as it will only prove Kiwis to continue to be Kiwis.
Union is big but where Union is trending as a sport needs to be decoupled from nation pride like Super Rugby....which is trending down.

Matiunz

Juniors
Yes the Japanese would embrace our game like they have baseball.

And two teams in NZ is a must.

Union is a crap slow boring game anyway.
Japan has an insane amount of money tied up in Union, the teams over there are basically Corporate vanity teams. It why you see recently high profile players (including the likes of Joey Manu) take sabbaticals to cash in- it’d be tough for League to muscle in on that

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth and Christchurch, if both have the financial backing they need, should be next two clubs in. It would seem that Vlandys is doubling down on PNG happening so like it or not that seems to be where the next club will be, unless there is a major about shift from NRL or Govt.

The talk of three NZ clubs is fanciful, given the NRL's track record in NZ getting one more would be a massive shift in policy for NRL. They have historically been quite happy to throw NZRL scraps and plunder the NZ talent for Australian clubs. If that has really changed we shall see.