What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agree with a lot of what you say, but I think it is taking it too far to say that if you`re not for the Bears teaming up with Perth then you are not a real Rugby League fan. You have to admit a W.A. team with a unique W.A. identity would be the ideal scenario and more likely to capture the imagination of West Australians.
Theres a lot of 'real' Rl fans over here that are very suss about the Bears and would prefer to see a WA unique identity club rather than a Sydney relocation. WA is incredibly parochial, even people who move here from elsewhere soon fall into it lol. Its a distance thing and being told waht to do from East coast that creates it. Vlandys and Dickson need to tread lightly if they want the Perth public and companies to buy into a relocation.

The Bears partnership offers some benefits but also some risks. Its up to those with the power and money to figure out which out weigh each other. Bears fans being arrogant like Red&Black certainly wont help the feelings toward a partnership!

Perth Red

Post Whore
I`m afraid you`re going to have to get used to the hullabaloo surrounding a possible Bears comeback, and excited old Bears fans starting to build castles in the air. Murdoch and Nine are going to run with it as well as it is in their interest to sell papers etc. and build hype around their re-entry. That mightn`t be such a bad thing.
To be fair, there does seem to be some genuine good will coming out of NS, I think they know it is crunch time for them as well. But if you guys can get the backers like we hope I think those people will have the nous and oomph to keep the Bears in their place.
Mate been hearing it for 10 years so I am very used to it lol. I understand its Sydney media generated for the Sydney public.
It is already creating some angst over here though and NRL needs to help balance it out otherwise that feeling will grow. This should first and foremost be about Perth joining the NRl again, not the Bears coming back. Only way you get the Perth public on board which is what is really important.
Perth Bears wont succeed or fail based on a few thousand old Bears fans in Sydney, it will be determined by how WA gets behind the club.

Theres a lot of 'real' Rl fans over here that are very suss about the Bears and would prefer to see a WA unique identity club rather than a Sydney relocation. WA is incredibly parochial, even people who move here from elsewhere soon fall into it lol. Its a distance thing and being told waht to do from East coast that creates it. Vlandys and Dickson need to tread lightly if they want the Perth public and companies to buy into a relocation.

The Bears partnership offers some benefits but also some risks. Its up to those with the power and money to figure out which out weigh each other. Bears fans being arrogant like Red&Black certainly wont help the feelings toward a partnership!
Why would Vlandys have to tread lightly? He runs the game - he has success borne from his decisions across multiple entities not just rugby league. Clubs are eating good since he has been in charge.

Ultimately the game holds the power - not Perth, not Bears and until people realise this their back and forth is a colossal waste of energy.

If this consortium doesn’t want to play ball with the games hierarchy they’ll simply brush them to the curb and find someone else. In that instance you lose and we lose, and over what? Some sort of moral high ground? That’s the real arrogance right there mate.

mongoose

Coach
Either way - a blueprint of a model is there for this to be successful.

Whether people on here get on board or not or whether people here agree or not is irrelevant.

Peter VL has shown all indications he wants to see Bears come back in some capacity. PVL wants a Dolphins like model as he sees that as a metric to success.

So let’s boil it down to the key points -

Perth get the resources let me correct that so Rocky and Bullwinkle don’t misquote me this time, genuine rugby league resources to be able to set up properly and have streamlined pathways from the get go - like Dolphins.

Perth gets established branding, colours, existing fan-fare and genuine rugby league people from the get go - like Dolphins.

Perth gets a model built on sustainable cash flow and revenue due to that existing brand having assets and companies outside of rugby league which help grow the business portfolio and have money in the coffers from the get go - like Dolphins.

Perth has access to the east coast market share in part due to the existing brand to further help grow the club and in this instance the overall game - like Dolphins.

The last brand new club brought in was the Titans - they have struggled on and off the field. Their set up was wrong from the get go. They still have minimal fan fare away and to top it off they’re in a rugby league heartland. They’ve needed financial assistance on more than one occasion to stablise the franchise.

The last new club brought in with existing foundations was the Dolphins. Automatic set ups in place. Strong financial security and foundations. Needed minimal NRL intervention to get off the ground. Success off the field.

Peter Cummins surely must see the trees from the forest. I tip my hat to him, the fact he wants to invest in the game is great but he needs to also be smart - do it in a way that benefits the game. If this goes through then I am confident the lawyers will iron clad the agreement - I don’t see the issue. Bears will belong to Perth and Western Australia and Perth and Western Australia will be part of the Bears next chapter.

If people from either side do not want to get board then they miss out and highlights the unquestionable fact that those people are not real rugby league fans and do not give a shit about the sport, believing their opinions somehow hold more validity than that is actual reality. Jump on or jump off I say but no one will miss you if you jump off.
you would have to not understand the history of the sport to think "rugby league people" are always good for the game, particularly in administration roles.

Why would Vlandys have to tread lightly? He runs the game - he has success borne from his decisions across multiple entities not just rugby league. Clubs are eating good since he has been in charge.

Ultimately the game holds the power - not Perth, not Bears and until people realise this their back and forth is a colossal waste of energy.

If this consortium doesn’t want to play ball with the games hierarchy they’ll simply brush them to the curb and find someone else. In that instance you lose and we lose, and over what? Some sort of moral high ground? That’s the real arrogance right there mate.
The people pushing for a WA team are very arrogant and entitled. They want the ARLC to prioritise Perth over every other location.

Perth Red

Post Whore

because we want the club to succeed. And being East coast arrogant isnt going to help it do that. In fact its one sure way to see it struggle at the beginning.

Of course it does, but that doesnt mean we cant discuss the merits and pitfalls of different options on a discussion forum lol

Or maybe they know whats best for Peth and the hierarchy will listen to them? At this point all we know is what we know:

NRL is keen on Perth
Vlandys is keen on a perth partnership with bears
Go anywhere Bears will go anywhere
Perth Bid want to go it alone but open to discussions if they have to
WA govt will back whoever gets the license

Thats about it.

Pippen94

First Grade
because we want the club to succeed. And being East coast arrogant isnt going to help it do that. In fact its one sure way to see it struggle at the beginning.

Of course it does, but that doesnt mean we cant discuss the merits and pitfalls of different options on a discussion forum lol

Or maybe they know whats best for Peth and the hierarchy will listen to them? At this point all we know is what we know:

NRL is keen on Perth
Vlandys is keen on a perth partnership with bears
Go anywhere Bears will go anywhere
Perth Bid want to go it alone but open to discussions if they have to
WA govt will back whoever gets the license

Thats about it.

It's PNG first mate. After that is pure conjecture.

Steel Saints

Juniors
I like the idea of the Perth Bears. Perth can have some of the pathways from the north shore, while the old Bears get the logo and colours back in the big time.

For a new club in a non heartland area, it makes sense, otherwise where are they going to get the players from? Penrith?

I disagree with the one game at NSO, even if it's branded as a "heritage" game. NSO is not NRL standard anymore, just like Leichhardt Oval. Bears could have three "home" games at the SFS 2.0 against Roosters, Bunnies or Dragons.

Meanwhile HBF Park needs to be upgraded to 25,000 or 30,000, plus a COE. Forget about Optus stadium. That is not a rugby league venue.

Canard

Immortal
If people from either side do not want to get board then they miss out and highlights the unquestionable fact that those people are not real rugby league fans and do not give a shit about the sport, believing their opinions somehow hold more validity than that is actual reality. Jump on or jump off I say but no one will miss you if you jump off.
That's the sort of unbridled arrogance and total ignorance I expect from those Bears fans, who live in there own bubble.

Bukowski

Juniors
That's the sort of unbridled arrogance and total ignorance I expect from those Bears fans, who live in there own bubble.
Its ridiculous. I have to give up the team I currently follow to jump to the bears to prove I'm a league fan. I assume very league fan in Brisbane has to follow the broncos or redcliffe to qualify as a fan.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its ridiculous. I have to give up the team I currently follow to jump to the bears to prove I'm a league fan. I assume very league fan in Brisbane has to follow the broncos or redcliffe to qualify as a fan.
There is two very clear options for the NRl
1. A perth bid that wants to stand alone
2. A partnership between the Bears and the Perth bid

They will no doubt try and lean on the Perth bid to go with the Bears. If they will say Bears or nothing is the big question. If they do the Perth bid has already said it will look at the Bears, if they dont then expect them to go it alone.

Bukowski

Juniors
There is two very clear options for the NRl
1. A perth bid that wants to stand alone
2. A partnership between the Bears and the Perth bid

They will no doubt try and lean on the Perth bid to go with the Bears. If they will say Bears or nothing is the big question. If they do the Perth bid has already said it will look at the Bears, if they dont then expect them to go it alone.
Correct, the bears only get in if Vlandys says is has to be the bears.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Correct, the bears only get in if Vlandys says is has to be the bears.
It'll be interesting if the Perth bid turn around and say no we cant work with them. Whats the NRl do then? look for other perth backers, look to another city and walk away from the WA Govt or give NSFC the license and hope they do the right thing in Perth? As I said going to be interesting times!

Latest posts