What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and its clubs are expected to palm-off expansion until 2014 or 2015

Of the three favourites which two teams make the most sense?

• Brisbane II

Votes: 137 67.8%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 55 27.2%
  • Western Australia

Votes: 182 90.1%

• Total voters

A band aid solution which will last for a few seasons at best. Plus the Knights never had strong links in the CC, it was pretty much forced on both parties after the Storm left to create their own NSW Cup team which has since been disbanded and united with Cronulla in the NSWCup and brokered a partnership with Easts in Q-Cup. All band aid solutions as far as the CC is concerned.

AuDragon

Juniors
Considering Newcastle Knights have officially left the Central Coast, to have their own reserve grade (NSW Cup) team based in Newcastle, your comments above wreaks of irony. Because it is now officially untapped. So quick NRL, get the CC Bears up so we can set up the CC Cubs through out the grades and utilize those resources.:)

BTW: if you're from Brisbane and obviously of Portuguese heritage then I have to ask, Carole Park or Pinkenba?:D
Neither. I live in Runaway Bay on the Gold Coast, but work in Brisbane... ;-)

And the question was whether there were MORE untapped resources in the CC than SEQ... :p

Goddo

Bench
A bit in the SMH about a new Fuzzy Wuzzy memorial

Kokoda's chief urges NRL to use Fuzzy logic

THE chief of Kokoda, which was the scene of the famous World War II battle, has made an emotional appeal for NRL chief executive David Gallop and those involved in selecting the code's expansionary teams to ensure Port Moresby makes the cut.

Chief Benjamin Ijumi was in Sydney this week to attend the unveiling of the Fuzzy Wuzzy Angel statue at the Kokoda Track Memorial walkway in Concord, and he took time out to push Port Moresby's case to join the game's elite in 2015.

The Fuzzy Wuzzy Angels were stretcher bearers for the Allies during the war and they forged strong friendships with the Australian Diggers. The chief said Port Moresby's entry into the NRL would only strengthen the ties that bind the two nations.

''It would be an extension of the mateship, of the special bonds that were established in 1942,'' he said. ''[An NRL team] would allow young people to become ambassadors for Papua New Guinea.''

While Perth and another Queensland team are favourites to get the nod, Ijumi wanted to see more of his countrymen join the likes of PNG-born Newcastle forward Neville Costigan and Gold Coast winger David Mead in the NRL. ''A lot of the younger generation would like to play rugby league in Australia,'' he said. ''I think the door should be open under the seven principles [that bind the two nations] that was agreed on by our then prime minister, Sir Michael Somare, and [Australian counterpart] Kevin Rudd during the Fuzzy Wuzzy commemoration at the Australian War Memorial in 2009. I was there with my two [surviving] Fuzzy Wuzzys and sport and rugby league [and providing more opportunity to play in Australia] was one of those [principles] that was mentioned.''
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...fuzzy-logic-20111105-1n0zy.html#ixzz1cxmWjXDC

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
A better option right now would be to give some PNG kids spots in youth team/feeder competitions to get more of them up to first grade standard.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I was there with my two [surviving] Fuzzy Wuzzys and sport and rugby league [and providing more opportunity to play in Australia] was one of those [principles] that was mentioned.''

The NRL and PNG Govt need to be banging down the door of the Govt to use this to lever opportunities for PNG kids to come over and play at SG Ball, Q'land and NSW cup level. That has to be the first steps. More rep games for their jnrs would also help against state sides, SG ball rep side, Australian schoolboys etc.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/nrls-expansion-doubts/story-e6frg7mf-1226197224491

NRL's expansion doubts

by: Stuart Honeysett
November 17, 2011 12:00AM

THE independent commission may not have assumed power yet but it is already coming to grips with some of the major issues confronting the code after chairman-elect John Grant told a function last week the game might not be ready to expand in 2015.

Grant's assessment was delivered at a Men of League lunch in Brisbane last Thursday and is a huge blow to several of the franchises, including Central Coast, Perth, Brisbane Bombers, Ipswich and Central Queensland which are all banking on two teams being added in four years.

It was only early this season that NRL chief executive David Gallop admitted it was unlikely the competition could be expanded by two teams for 2013 but he personally believed 18 teams was viable for 2015.

However, when questioned at the lunch about the prospects of expansion, Grant said he admired the commitment and passion of the bid teams but the timing still might not be right by then.

"There's not a process or opportunity that's been announced," Grant told the function. "The date given by David Gallop was a bit pre-emptive -- 2015 is an optimistic timeframe."

The Central Coast Bears had obviously not caught up with Grant's speech after issuing a press release yesterday which welcomed the advent of the independent commission after it helped to resolve a funding dispute between the clubs and the NRL on Tuesday.

"It is only a matter of time now until the commission hands the game a new broadcast deal, which will be the catalyst for expansion of the competition to 18 teams," the statement said.

"The Central Coast of NSW can be cautiously optimistic that we will have our own team soon."

It is not surprising Grant had a cautious view about expansion as most of the 16 clubs in the NRL operate at a loss.

The recent funding dispute started after clubs balked at signing agreements to play in the NRL for the next seven years unless their annual grants were increased by $2.1 million.

In the end, they eventually settled for a $500,000 increase which will be paid only when the next broadcast deal has been negotiated and only if the commission believes the game can afford it.

Goddo

Bench
I think he is just being cautious. 2015 will probably happen.

But from an NRL perspective there is a lot of lead up that would need to be done - I guess he is looking at that and making no promises.

I'd expect the NRL to expand first grade squads by 2 or so players in the years leading up to expansion to improve depth (and then reduce squads when they expand), as well as some sort of in depth study into which locations would be most beneficial. TV deal, sponsors and stabilising clubs has to happen first too.

Not good for the Bears bid you would have to think - 2 years ago they were miles in front (although I was cautioning against hasty expansion in unneccisary locations). With further delays they are no chance. Got to admire their optimism.

Flapper

First Grade
If the TV networks came out and said you wont get anywhere near the AFL's TV deal without 2 new teams they'd be announced tomorrow. I don't understand why the NRL doesnt see the benefit on an extra game a week to show. Surely I'm not totally stupid here?

Raiderdave

First Grade
it'll happen

don't sweat it Reds & Bombers ;-)

you'll be on the Paddock in 2015 ... the extra 2 years will ensure both franchises are 100% ready by then.

Goddo

Bench
I think expansion is at the end of a long list of things on the agenda. Thats all, its not a high priority right now, so they want to talk it down.

6 months from now when things are more settled they will start pushing expansion.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I think expansion is at the end of a long list of things on the agenda. Thats all, its not a high priority right now, so they want to talk it down.

6 months from now when things are more settled they will start pushing expansion.

Agree.

beave

Coach
Better to be talk down the chances of new teams and then surprise everyone at the last minute with actual expansion than to have it the other way around I guess.

If the TV networks came out and said you wont get anywhere near the AFL's TV deal without 2 new teams they'd be announced tomorrow. I don't understand why the NRL doesnt see the benefit on an extra game a week to show. Surely I'm not totally stupid here?

Networks aren't stupid, they'd rather quality of qty and if they rush teams thats what will happen.

2015 at the earliest.

Shore up what you have before expansion.

BuffaloRules

Coach

The problem is the other clubs...

All they think about is having to divide the pie 18 ways instead of 16....

They obviously dont believe that adding 2 teams will grow the pie enough...

firechild

First Grade
Why would the QLD Super 15 Rugby franchise and Essendon be worried?

Perhaps not worried but possibly interested since they both have a better chance of being part of the NRL than the Bears. I'd suggest the Reds have a greater shot at the title than the fumbleball team though.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Perhaps not worried but possibly interested since they both have a better chance of being part of the NRL than the Bears. I'd suggest the Reds have a greater shot at the title than the fumbleball team though.

The Bears were defrauded in 1999 - 12 years ago.
Do you honestly think any Bears' fan reacts to jibes from Manly scum any more?

As long as rugby league continues to be a "protectionist" sport - propping up Cronulla, Manly and 8 other bankrupt clubs, it will just keep plodding along like it always has.

Latest posts