What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Expansion Priorities

reanimate

Bench
When the central coast is ready to gobble up Manly and take over the whole North coast, then and only then should they get a team.
They cocked up the merger with manly, why bow down to them now with another NSW team.

NSW is a bane on the games existence. They had 20 years to grow the code, done nothing but go backwards most the clubs,. Needed a billion dollar Tv deal, and even now most clubs have their beaks out like baby birds still wanting a feed off the NRL .
Parasites, they are worse than Victoria, sucking the funds out of the economy.

You want the damm bears back, move a Sydney team their or stick the bears where the sun dont shine.
They want to move to AFL or Union, good, bye bye, weak muppets. Probably full of yobsters anyhow this area, complete muppets.

The Bears situation can be easily fixed by telling the Bears bid that they're no chance of getting a team in the NRL unless they pack up the bid and relocate to another state or to NZ. Their hold on the North Shore, i.e. their farcical relationship with Souths, would also have to be terminated and the area rezoned to be held by another team. The Bears/Souths relationship does absolutely nothing for the game on the NS, I can't believe it's allowed to exist.

Last edited:

georgesnmith

Juniors
down the track one of the new licenses should take the bears name and logo.

they could maybe even play one heritage game at NSO.

Central coast will get a team one day but i hope its after perth, brisbane, wellington and png

taipan

Referee
Mate the sharks are like every other Sydney club, up to their eyeballs in debt and have huge bills to pay from all these so-called developments.
Who gives a bullocks if they can stay afloat, if they had any power they would be taking over other areas, not fighting for survival with a 4 million bill already for court cases and fines.
They are living on borrowed time, what was their blockbuster figure, with the saints, two men and a dog.
Mate the code wants to grow areas with millions of new fans, you know, big cities like Perth, Brisbane and Wellington even in areas where juniors will grow, we will not be fighting over Monday Night Shark TV crowds and viewers going backwards and averages and kids being locked out.

I love the Sharks, i love the Tiger sharks even more, the Wellington Sharks has a nice ring to it.
The code needs to weld the axe, and with John Dolye now in charge of strategy, Sharks are as good as gone.
Only a code locked into going backwards would keep 9 Sydney teams in this comp.

No company worldwide would lock themselves into Sydney the way the NRL has done.

No, it is either growth or die, and someone with guts needs to make those decisions.

As every other code is growing in every other city, the NRL cant survive without expansion and revision and solidarity brother with less teams for Sydney.
Less in this case is better.

You are completely out of the loop.The Sharks do not ,have not paid one cent toward toward the development.The Developers got the land for the residential,and the club will receive the profits from the sales of unit no
313 up.$43m expected.
There is no debt other than the $3.5m owed to the private backer and the legals /fines.The $600,000 fine will be spread, get the facts right .
In fact the developer as the junior Cron Caringbah club lost it's field ,will be getting a brand new club house and ground at Cronulla high..
And in regard to the local derby ,which agin you have no clue,the crowd who actually attended was 14,800.In today's Leader the thunderstorm and lightning influenced 3,000 paid up fans(people who paid to go) stayed away.
Compared to what the Broncos get in a city of 1.5m <that I hardly pweak.If Qld can't get crowds for the current expansion clubs,then Perth warrants a team more so than Qld
Before you go into a rant check the facts.

Memo the code doesn't have to lock itself into just Sydney,they can expand as they were supposed to do in 95.There can be 20 teams in 2 divisions if need be.

Last edited:

oikee

Juniors
The Bears situation can be easily fixed by telling the Bears bid that they're no chance of getting a team in the NRL unless they pack up the bid and relocate to another state or to NZ. Their hold on the North Shore, i.e. their farcical relationship with Souths, would also have to be terminated and the area rezoned to be held by another team. The Bears/Souths relationship does absolutely nothing for the game on the NS, I can't believe it's allowed to exist.

I have to agree with you.

oikee

Juniors
You are completely out of the loop.The Sharks do not ,have not paid one cent toward toward the development.The Developers got the land for the residential,and the club will receive the profits from the sales of unit no
313 up.$43m expected.
There is no debt other than the $3.5m owed to the private backer and the legals /fines.The $600,000 fine will be spread, get the facts right .
In fact the developer as the junior Cron Caringbah club lost it's field ,will be getting a brand new club house and ground at Cronulla high..
And in regard to the local derby ,which agin you have no clue,the crowd who actually attended was 14,800.In today's Leader the thunderstorm and lightning influenced 3,000 paid up fans(people who paid to go) stayed away.
Compared to what the Broncos get in a city of 1.5m <that I hardly pweak.If Qld can't get crowds for the current expansion clubs,then Perth warrants a team more so than Qld

Memo the code doesn't have to lock itself into just Sydney,they can expand as they were supposed to do in 95.There can be 20 teams in 2 divisions if need be.

Maybe you should do some research and check your own facts. You saying that two teams in Sydney, at the local derby that had less than 15 thousand, for two teams mind you, is better than one team the Brisbane Broncos that has had 42 thousand and 33 thousand for their two home games. ???

As for your other figures, it is much the same as South Oz AFL. They were carrying on like pork chops throwing our tens of millions of dollars figures.
Here i will show you how any club can make themselves look like billionaires. This is what they announced.
40 odd million win for selling of two liciences, Power and Port i think. Plus they also said that they will benefit from another 60 million direct from the AFL funding them.
That is the whole state of South Australia, which is basically only 1.5 million anyhow.

Now the reality, this was over a fifteen year period.
So break down 100 million over 15 years comes to 6 odd million a year for the whole state of AFL in this city.
Now compare that to the NRL, and how much they spend on each of our two states for rugby league.
200 million over 4 years, so 50 million a year for the two states.
That is outside the clubs payments.
So NSW close to 30 million, Queensland maybe a bit less around 20 million, each year.

So South Australia afl are going to have around 6.5 million funding,
Queensland NRL is going to have around 20 million
NSW will have around 30 million funding.

That is all outside the 50 million in profit the nrl is now banking each year.

The sharkies on the other hand did a scale of what they would make for the sale of that development, and the result was they would recieve 1.5 million a year over the next 20 or 30 years.
Mate, that will be chewed up by ground repairs , players wages going up, staff and other items.
The Broncos spit out 1.5 million just for upgrades of Gym equipment and training gear.

The sharkies are toast, the longer they fight their existence, the harder it will be for anyone to even want a part of them.
Sometimes the best decisions are the hardest to make. I could be wrong but if the Sharkies fight this, i will give them 5 years before its all over for good.
The more Dave smith travels around the countries to see opportunities our code is missing out on, the faster his mind is being made up.
Their are millions, millions waiting for a NRL team while sydney splutters, flounders with huge crowds of 15 thousand to blockbusters.
That is why other codes are walking in and grabbing ground off our heartlands, they see a code that cant grow and just walk in and take over.

georgesnmith

Juniors
313 up.$43m expected.

must say its looks a most impressive property development

didnt realize they were doing the other side as well with the car park

oikee

Juniors
The game will never have the funds or players to prop up 20 teams, ever.
The AFL is not ever going to move forward with 18 teams to prop up..

The NRL would be in the box seat if two Sydney teams merged, and 4 new teams were introduced into huge cities.
18 teams is perfect for rugby league, as long as 2 of those new teams are expanded Brisbane teams.
Brisbane is our heartland and needs 3, not 2 teams.

It will take the game into a whole new league if we can grow the game with a second NZ team and Perth, along with 3 teams for Brisbane.
Imagine the growth the game could produce.
People with common sense need to make this happen, fools need to be shown the door, the code has been stagnated and held back for 20 years now, and Sydney has gone nowhere in that time, except backwards, with clubs needing bailing out every year.

georgesnmith

Juniors
The game will never have the funds or players to prop up 20 teams, ever.
The AFL is not ever going to move forward with 18 teams to prop up..

The NRL would be in the box seat if two Sydney teams merged, and 4 new teams were introduced into huge cities.
18 teams is perfect for rugby league, as long as 2 of those new teams are expanded Brisbane teams.
Brisbane is our heartland and needs 3, not 2 teams.

It will take the game into a whole new league if we can grow the game with a second NZ team and Perth, along with 3 teams for Brisbane.
Imagine the growth the game could produce.
People with common sense need to make this happen, fools need to be shown the door, the code has been stagnated and held back for 20 years now, and Sydney has gone nowhere in that time, except backwards, with clubs needing bailing out every year.

so you want a 20 team comp even though your first sentence is we dont have the players or money for it?

:lol:

HardcoreWally

Juniors
so you want a 20 team comp even though your first sentence is we dont have the players or money for it?

I think he was trying to say he wanted 18 teams, but that would require 4 Sydney teams to merge.
Only having 2 merging would create 1 less (15) and then another 4 would take it up to 19.
Perhaps he meant 2 mergers, not 2 teams merging?

Perth Red

Post Whore
down the track one of the new licenses should take the bears name and logo.

Why? Apart from some nostalgia factor that will mean zero to the city and even less to most NRL fans these days what value does it bring? There is, arguably, far more value to a new city club to have a new identity that a city can call its own.

taipan

Referee
Maybe you should do some research and check your own facts. You saying that two teams in Sydney, at the local derby that had less than 15 thousand, for two teams mind you, is better than one team the Brisbane Broncos that has had 42 thousand and 33 thousand for their two home games. ???

As for your other figures, it is much the same as South Oz AFL. They were carrying on like pork chops throwing our tens of millions of dollars figures.
Here i will show you how any club can make themselves look like billionaires. This is what they announced.
40 odd million win for selling of two liciences, Power and Port i think. Plus they also said that they will benefit from another 60 million direct from the AFL funding them.
That is the whole state of South Australia, which is basically only 1.5 million anyhow.

Now the reality, this was over a fifteen year period.
So break down 100 million over 15 years comes to 6 odd million a year for the whole state of AFL in this city.
Now compare that to the NRL, and how much they spend on each of our two states for rugby league.
200 million over 4 years, so 50 million a year for the two states.
That is outside the clubs payments.
So NSW close to 30 million, Queensland maybe a bit less around 20 million, each year.

So South Australia afl are going to have around 6.5 million funding,
Queensland NRL is going to have around 20 million
NSW will have around 30 million funding.

That is all outside the 50 million in profit the nrl is now banking each year.

The sharkies on the other hand did a scale of what they would make for the sale of that development, and the result was they would recieve 1.5 million a year over the next 20 or 30 years.
Mate, that will be chewed up by ground repairs , players wages going up, staff and other items.
The Broncos spit out 1.5 million just for upgrades of Gym equipment and training gear.

The sharkies are toast, the longer they fight their existence, the harder it will be for anyone to even want a part of them.
Sometimes the best decisions are the hardest to make. I could be wrong but if the Sharkies fight this, i will give them 5 years before its all over for good.
The more Dave smith travels around the countries to see opportunities our code is missing out on, the faster his mind is being made up.
Their are millions, millions waiting for a NRL team while sydney splutters, flounders with huge crowds of 15 thousand to blockbusters.
That is why other codes are walking in and grabbing ground off our heartlands, they see a code that cant grow and just walk in and take over.

I am not going to spend my waking hours arguing with a guy who looks though the world thru a Queenlander's eye and gives not a stuff about tradition and fans in other clubs.Super league lessons have not been learnt.
Xcept to suggest I am for expansion including more Brisbane/Qld teams.

That being stated ,I note the Brisbane population is 2.2million ,and there is one team only ,who can get 26,000 members and average approx. 30,000 crowd.That population is almost 9 times larger than the Shire,yet average bit more than twice as much.
Some people even suggest another Brisbane team could dilute the bronocs numbers,I don't know TBH.

taipan

Referee
must say its looks a most impressive property development

didnt realize they were doing the other side as well with the car park

Without the development,there no doubt would be a Perth's Sharks.
This will position the club ,in a strong position.Not reliant just on poker machine monies.

The other side is retail ,including a high profile supermarket and medical centre,and other green grocery,cafe outlets.

georgesnmith

Juniors
Without the development,there no doubt would be a Perth's Sharks.
This will position the club ,in a strong position.Not reliant just on poker machine monies.

The other side is retail ,including a high profile supermarket and medical centre,and other green grocery,cafe outlets.

ive been to shark park many times, esp in 2001 to watch preston and peachy tearing up the nrl.

good luck with the development cause it could make your club dwarf mine (dragons lol)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Was said many a time on here that Vlad had no trouble propping up 2 teams ,but when he introduced another 2 then someone would miss out on all the extra benefits .
Looks like its the Kitty Kats left to die while the 2 new teams get extra $$$ ,extra benefits etc..

EL D .Maybe its time to dig up Bea's old laugh a minute thread .QLD is now an AFL state .

Garbler

Juniors

Amazing, I hate to take so much joy in their failings but damn it I just hope the GC AFL team will go the same way once its hand outs are cut off too. There are fields no one is using with AFL posts on them on the GC just so they could mark their territory and keep up appearances as the dominant winter code behind the barrasi line. They piggy backed off the iconic beach culture up here by co-opting the lifesaving org. red and orange. Evangelical in nuisance and self importance, they bled money from the loose public purse held by the ALP, charging ratepayers & taxpayers so they could build a stadium they could profit off from non AFL events meanwhile selling it as necessary infrastructure when it is obviously oversized for their own needs. So many reasons to dislike them up here...

Would love to know the logic behind the move towards Springwood/Southwest Brisbane other than expected population growth. Amazing they think they can play purely by the numbers when their product is significantly miserable.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Amazing, I hate to take so much joy in their failings but damn it I just hope the GC AFL team will go the same way once its hand outs are cut off too. There are fields no one is using with AFL posts on them on the GC just so they could mark their territory and keep up appearances as the dominant winter code behind the barrasi line. They piggy backed off the iconic beach culture up here by co-opting the lifesaving org. red and orange. Evangelical in nuisance and self importance, they bled money from the loose public purse held by the ALP, charging ratepayers & taxpayers so they could build a stadium they could profit off from non AFL events meanwhile selling it as necessary infrastructure when it is obviously oversized for their own needs. So many reasons to dislike them up here...

Would love to know the logic behind the move towards Springwood/Southwest Brisbane other than expected population growth. Amazing they think they can play purely by the numbers when their product is significantly miserable.

bit more funny business http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-...ed-environmental-concerns-for-stadium/5503778

reanimate

Bench
On the topic of expansion, what's happening with the Bears now that the Roosters have inked a deal with Wyong?