What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW 16s and 18s

theuglypuppy

Juniors
Iuta, Pole'o, and f**ko-f**ka all put their hands up., Interesting that the doggy's possibles not given a proper chance to show their best, that means that any probables that they were being compared to got an easier run to the position. The Brisbane boys were dominated, and I think that the doggy's were not under the pressure that the Illawarra team put them under.

If you are going to use the possibles/probables format then all of the possibles probables need to be there. I suggest the following change to, that the possibles forwards play with the probables backs as one team and the reverse in the other. That way you get to see what happens when the backs are under real pressure.

Last edited:

Tucantango

Juniors
Iuta, Pole'o, and f**ko-f**ka all put their hands up., Interesting that the doggy's possibles not given a proper chance to show their best, that means that any probables that they were being compared to got an easier run to the position. The Brisbane boys were dominated, and I think that the doggy's were not under the pressure that the Illawarra team put them under.

If you are going to use the possibles/probables format then all of the possibles probables need to be there. I suggest the following change to, that the possibles forwards play with the probables backs as one team and the reverse in the other. That way you get to see what happens when the backs are under real pressure.

UG,

I could not agree with you more! The non-selection of the above three Bulldog players is an absolute travesty. I challenge anyone to show me who out-played them throughout the whole competition.

Better still can someone tell me why Salesi Funaki wasn't selected? Are the selectors kidding? The omissions of Addin Fonua-Blake (poor discipline) and Tevita Pangai (maturity) I can understand, but Funaki? NSW will miss him!

Regards,
Tuc.

theuglypuppy

Juniors
UG,

I could not agree with you more! The non-selection of the above three Bulldog players is an absolute travesty. I challenge anyone to show me who out-played them throughout the whole competition.

Better still can someone tell me why Salesi Funaki wasn't selected? Are the selectors kidding? The omissions of Addin Fonua-Blake (poor discipline) and Tevita Pangai (maturity) I can understand, but Funaki? NSW will miss him!

Regards,
Tuc.

I can understand with Pole'o somewhat, missed first two games and then played in centres (despite being form fullback in bulldogs comp last year), for much of this competition. But surely that should at least put him as the utility reserve.[Especially as he is also capable at lock] I still think the selection process is nowhere near as open as it should be, if an employer used hidden processes for reaching such a decision there would rightly be an outcry.

aqua_duck

Coach
I reckon Jack wighton will be in the centres and Tom Rouse (player of the year in SG Ball) will be 5/8th or half

overandout

Juniors
Forget Sam Williams, this kid will the be the Raiders main man in a few years.

Absolute gun.

You may well be right,just turned 18 youngest in Raiders squad plays/has played 1,3,4,6,7 leads the team when he has to and takes a more backseat role when Williams plays.

Noa

First Grade
You may well be right,just turned 18 youngest in Raiders squad plays/has played 1,3,4,6,7 leads the team when he has to and takes a more backseat role when Williams plays.

Look forward to seeing him and McGahan come up againt each other in the GF. Both the same age (youngest in there squads), both super-talents but very different in style. Wighton likes to beat you with the ball in hand and will need a organising 7 next to him, McGahan likes to beat you with a pass and is an onfield general..

At this stage Id give the edge to McGahan because his game looks so mature already and he has a great kicking game.

overandout

Juniors
Look forward to seeing him and McGahan come up againt each other in the GF. Both the same age (youngest in there squads), both super-talents but very different in style. Wighton likes to beat you with the ball in hand and will need a organising 7 next to him, McGahan likes to beat you with a pass and is an onfield general..

At this stage Id give the edge to McGahan because his game looks so mature already and he has a great kicking game.

You may be right but long term it will be interesting to see.

Things may seem a little different if Raiders where running closer to full strength more often but as you know there has been a lot of shuffling and disruption to the roster this season so that could have skewed things McGahans way a little.

After watching Curtis Sironen again in the 20's this kid will be the first picked in the NSW under 18's. I really doubt their is a better player than him in NSW that plays #6 and is under 18.

girvie

Staff member
Under-18s players who have played in the NYC

Outside backs
James Roberts - Souths
Nesiasi Mataitonga - Cronulla
Tyrone Phillips - Souths
Jacob Gagan - Parramatta
Evander Cummins - St George
Brendan Liaina - Manly
Pat Mata'utai - Newcastle
Vai Toutai - Parramatta
Geordie Connelly - Newcastle
Tony Satini - Penrith

Halves
Curtis Sironen - Wests
Jack Wighton - Canberra
Samisoni Langi - Canterbury
Tom Rouse - Newcastle
Ryan Gowing - Canberra
Mitchell Cornish - Canberra

Props
Paul Tuigamala - Manly

Hookers
Luke Vescio - Manly

Backrowers
Joseph Ualesi - Parramatta
Sione Masima - Cronulla
Ben Roose - Newcastle
Jeff Lynch - Canberra
Tokerau Raru - Cronulla
Arnold Woulf - Souths
Clarrie Moore - Sydney

Haven't included Qlders.

Any I missed out?

half_back

Juniors
Under-18s players who have played in the NYC

Outside backs
James Roberts - Souths
Nesiasi Mataitonga - Cronulla
Tyrone Phillips - Souths
Jacob Gagan - Parramatta
Evander Cummins - St George
Brendan Liaina - Manly
Pat Mata'utai - Newcastle
Vai Toutai - Parramatta
Geordie Connelly - Newcastle
Tony Satini - Penrith

Halves
Curtis Sironen - Wests
Jack Wighton - Canberra
Samisoni Langi - Canterbury
Tom Rouse - Newcastle
Ryan Gowing - Canberra
Mitchell Cornish - Canberra

Props
Paul Tuigamala - Manly

Hookers
Luke Vescio - Manly

Backrowers
Joseph Ualesi - Parramatta
Sione Masima - Cronulla
Ben Roose - Newcastle
Jeff Lynch - Canberra
Tokerau Raru - Cronulla
Arnold Woulf - Souths
Clarrie Moore - Sydney

Haven't included Qlders.

Any I missed out?

Great work Girvie. Definitely a solid team based on these players. Find a few front rowers and the team is set. Prefer Rouse and Wighton in the halves, Outside backs and back rowers a tough decision.

girvie

Staff member
I'd settle for the 4 SG Ball grand final props. Klemmer, Latu, Steele and Mason.

s1ng0709

Juniors
I'd settle for the 4 SG Ball grand final props. Klemmer, Latu, Steele and Mason.
I agree with the doggies props, i reckon both would've played 20's already if their 20's were'nt going as good as they are. Alot of the 18's players that have played 20's are from weaker 20's teams so i would'nt rule out a few boys from sg ball being named in the nsw 18's!

Last edited:

billy2

Juniors
Geordie Connelly has been playing centre and fullback at the Knights in NYC, but he's basically a 5/8.
Bad luck for him that he has basically been dropped from NYC because he was playing out of position and he never got a shot at Ball when the Knights needed a 5/8 for about 5 games.
He must think the football gods hate him.

girvie

Staff member
NSW won the main game tonight 18-6.

John Fomai, Brad Dietz and Dylan Russell tries; Brendan Cox 2/3 and Deejay Harris 1/1 goals.