What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW 16s and 18s

isaiah

Bench
Look forward to seeing him and McGahan come up againt each other in the GF. Both the same age (youngest in there squads), both super-talents but very different in style. Wighton likes to beat you with the ball in hand and will need a organising 7 next to him, McGahan likes to beat you with a pass and is an onfield general..

At this stage Id give the edge to McGahan because his game looks so mature already and he has a great kicking game.

gf of what, lol
the nyc comp?
which of the raiders or storm will knock nz or bulldogs out in the finals series of that comp?

girvie

Staff member
NSW supporters can take heart from the performance of their generation-next, as the Blues pipped Queensland 18-16 in a thrilling under-16s Origin league curtain-raiser at Suncorp Stadium on Wednesday night.

The Maroons launched several raids at the NSW line in the dying stages but the Blues held on grimly, despite being reduced to 12 players after Addison Demetriou was sent off early in the second half.

Queensland raced to a 10-0 lead after 11 minutes through tries to winger Ryan Mitchell and second rower Luke Bateman, who backed up a break by fullback Paul Byrnes.

The Maroons defence looked impenetrable until late in the first half when NSW scored off a heavy weight of possession, with winger John Fomai steaming onto a cut-out pass to cross in the right corner.

When Blues hooker Brad Deitz burrowed over the tryline early in the second half, the scores were locked at 10-all.

NSW halfback Brendan Cox booted a penalty goal midway through the second half to give the visitors a 12-10 edge.

But Queensland's numerical advantage was wasted in the next set, as Blues fullback Dylan Russell scored a superb long-range try.

With the home side trailing 18-10, the Queenslanders lifted and came back into the match following a try to interchange forward Jack Anderson with six minutes left, but they couldn't crack the Blues 12-man defensive line again to snatch victory.

Young Newcastle forward Luke Yates was named Players Player while Euan Aitken was man of the match.

NSW Under 16’s - 18 (J Fomai, B Deitz, D Russell tries; B Cox 2, DJ Harris goals) def. QLD Under 16’s - 16 (R Mitchell, L Bateman, J Anderson tries; D Paiaaua 2 goals).

http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.asp...d=37219&title=nsw-under-16s-salute-at-suncorp

RHCP

Bench
Was he injured for most of Harold Matts or something?

Haven't heard his name before now.

Tucantango

Juniors
Any got an opinion on Luke Yates? Any good?

Not a bad player had a great Matts season. Hard runner and defender. Nevertheless, during the first half of the NSW game where he made a great break, he had an unmarked Addison Demetriou screaming down the right hand side in support, Yates with the QLD fullback in front, hogged the ball, instead of drawing and passing, and definite try was bombed! I was not impressed! He was lucky NSW won for that would have been a definitive moment otherwise.

billy2

Juniors
Yates didn't play rounds one and two.
He is named in every other side of the season, but I watched a few games and I really didn't notice him till the last round of the season, when I thought he was MOTM and very impressive.
I didn't see any of the away games, but i read all the match reports and he didn't get too many mentions.
Anyway - last round game against Manly he was very good.

girvie

Staff member
Yates was playing lock for Newcastle and was captain.

Looks like he started at prop in U16s Origin.

shasha

Juniors
Now the under 16's are finished with.
What would most people's NSW 18's side be??

Are they playing before Game 2 in sydney?

Doga

Juniors
Queensland Under 18s
1. Zac Santo (Cowboys)
2. Mitcham Ardler (Titans)
3. Tautau Moga (Roosters)
4. Jerome Leedy (Norths Devils)
5. Matthew Berwick (Broncos)
6. Luke Abdul-Rahman (Cowboys)
7. Kurt Mann (Knights)
8. Chris Grevsmuhl (Cowboys)
9. Cameron Cullen (Broncos)
10. Stephen Coombes (Broncos)
11. Jack Kelleher (Cowboys)
12. Iain Riccardi (Panthers)
13. Caleb Binge (Norths Devils)
14. Daniel Alvaro (Broncos)
15. Heymel Hunt (Titans)
16. Anthony Gadd (Cowboys)
17. Francis Molo (Norths Devils)

Liam

Juniors
For the NSW 18s, you'd think Pat Mata'utia and Kurt Mann from Newcastle will be there.

Sidestep

Juniors
The Norths Devils players as listed; Leedy, Binge and Molo have been contracted Bronco juniors since at least U/15's. Broncs best prospect Corey Oates is injured, he is eligible to play this rep side in 2012.

s1ng0709

Juniors
After watching a few parra NYC games I think Vai Toutai has been very solid for them, I think he'll be one of the centre's for the 18's.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
PLAYER - CLUB
Nesiasi Mataitonga - Cronulla Sharks
Jacob Gagan - Parramatta Eels
David Nofoaluma - Western Suburbs Magpies
Vai Toutai - Parramatta Eels
Pat Mata’Utia Leifi - Newcastle Knights
Curtis Sironen - Wests Tigers
Jack Wighton - Canberra Raiders
David Klemmer - Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
Michael Lichaa - Cronulla Sharks
Leilani Latu - Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
Kyle Lovett - Balmain Tigers
Jordan Hall - Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
Ben Roose - Newcastle Knights
Tom Rouse - Newcastle Knights
Sam Coster - Parkes Spacemen (CRL)
Michael Steele - Newcastle Knights
Jake Trbojevic - Manly Sea Eagles
Brenden Santi - Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
Coach - Craig Sandercock
Manager - Bob Jones

http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=37557&title=nsw-under-18s-side-announced

billy2

Juniors
Clydesdale was the player of the season for the Knights IMO.

The halves and the forwards got all the kudos, but Clydesdale working hard for full games every week and getting the ball to the right players at the right time was the glue that held the side together. I thought the season would fall apart when they lost Mann halfway through the season, because Mann was killing it, but Clydesdale made Rouse look just as good as he made Mann look.
Mann is the Qld half and Rouse looks like he might be NSW half - no half looks good without a quality hooker - and they have both been fed by Clydesdale all year.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
Lichaa is a decent player from what I've seen and quite strong but IMO (maybe being abit biased) Clydesdale is a better prospect who is more in the mould of Cameron Smith/Robbie Farah in terms of his creativity.
Only reason Clydesdale isn't in NYC ATM is because he's got the 2010 NSW under 18's and Australian schoolboys hooker in front of him

isaiah

Bench
Clydesdale was the player of the season for the Knights IMO.

The halves and the forwards got all the kudos, but Clydesdale working hard for full games every week and getting the ball to the right players at the right time was the glue that held the side together. I thought the season would fall apart when they lost Mann halfway through the season, because Mann was killing it, but Clydesdale made Rouse look just as good as he made Mann look.
Mann is the Qld half and Rouse looks like he might be NSW half - no half looks good without a quality hooker - and they have both been fed by Clydesdale all year.
maybe because clydesdale cant unseat chad redman in the nyc team but lichaa has played up and made an impact off the bench

Fin077

Juniors
Could somebody please explain me how a player the calibre of Wests Fullback James Tedesco gets completely left out?

The kid scores tries, saves tries, was an Australian schoolboy and is with the Tigers 20's now and they snub him.

I really do wonder who picks these teams and what criteria they use becuase many selections in this side dont make sence!