What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW halves 2015?

NSW halves?

• Maloney 7 Austin 7

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Dogs halves must stay

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Pearce 7 Maloney 6

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Adam reynolds 7 Austin 6

Votes: 36 63.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ram raid

Bench
I know it's eons away but it's something I can't help pondering. I guess because there's not much to think about in the off season ..

There's a lot to think about.

J Reynolds and Hokko are the incumbents in a winning team. So it's hard to justify replacing them ... or is it?

On the form they showed at the back end of the year Hokko and J Reynolds are the last people you would pick.

On form I think Pearce should get the 7 jersey. And James Maloney the 6 for the sake of having a combination.

But picking Pearce would represent a step backwards, picking a half back who has already failed countless times.

What about Adam Reynolds? I'm clearly biased, but I think he's good enough. And Andrew Voss agrees with me

Usually when Origin comes around, there is a lot of media hype about whoever the competitions leaders halves are being in the realm for selection. This is how J Reynolds and Hokko fluked their way into the Blues this year. And got the win .. can't be taken away from them.

Next year when May comes around, I assume Easts, Bunnies, Panthers and Canterbury will all be up there.

So that assumption leaves us with a lot of prepackaged halves combinations to select from: Pearce/Maloney, A Reynolds/Keary, Soward/Wallace, J Reynolds / Hodkinson.

And then there's all sorts of mix and match options .. Soward/Pearce? A Reynolds/Soward?

Or how about a roughy .. Aiden Siezer and Albert Kelly?

Man, picking the NSW halves is so much fun.

ram raid

Bench
Would be a good combination. Soward with the organising and precision kicking game, and Pearce with the running game. I can't see it happening though. Daily likes to pick club combinations.

rabbitohs95

Bench
I've hated them both at some stage in their careers but i think Soward and Pearce would be the best combination. Soward has the kicking and goal kicking, Pearce has the running and the organisation.

No way Keary will play for NSW, i don't even think Reynolds could persuade him.

wittyfan

Referee
Luke+Brooks+Mitchell+Moses+Wests+Tigers+Training+NFO2Zg0WRfVl.jpg

maple_69

Bench
Maybe 2016.
It's hard to deny Pearce. Then again he's been in outstanding form before at club level and done SFA for the Blues. He's just not up to Origin level. Outstanding club level half though.
I think Soward and Maloney could go ok. Hopefully it's on form and not based on club combos just cause. Plenty of solid options now though and a lot more on their way through.

With Hayne gone you could even go a 1. Moylan, 6. Soward for the combination.

adamkungl

Immortal
Soward and Pearce easily the best options. Sowards 2014 form equal or better than his best at Saints.

PhilGould

Bench
The only thing stopping Pearce would be some kind of proof that he's not good enough for Origin. If only someone had proof.

Never mind. Maybe he'll come good in his 14th game.

timka4

Bench
Hodkinson deserves a repick imo. But J Reynolds needs too and should be dropped. Didnt do anything except kick that ball away from DCE

The Options

Halfback:
Hodkinson - Positives: Incumbent, won it last year. Negatives: Honestly i think he is pretty average and got in the team because the Dogs were on top of the ladder and he is a great goal kicker and field goal kicker.
Pearce - Positives: Probably the most talented of the NSW halfbacks, great form over the back end of the season. Negatives: Played terribly for NSW in the past, can't kick goals, not a good field goal kicker.
A. Reynolds - Positives: Just won a premiership, in good form, looks composed in club games, good goal kicker. Negatives: Untested at rep level, a perception that Souths forward pack makes him look good.

Five-Eight:
J. Reynolds - Positives: Incumbent, won it last year, playing style suits origin, plays with Hodkinson. Negatives: Didn't play very well in origin this year, average form over the back end of the season.
Maloney - Positives: Played origin before and was OK, good goal kicker, plays with Pearce. Negatives: poor defender (crucial in origin), didn't have an outstanding season this year
Soward - Positives: Most in-form NSW five-eight, good goal kicker, possible combination with Moylan at fullback. Negatives: Played average at origin level before, getting older.

Smokeys: Jarrod Mullen, Aiden Sezer, Luke Brooks

Unless someone stands out early next season, i think Daley would stick with Reynolds/Hodkinson.

Personally, i think Adam Reynolds at Halfback and Mitchell Pearce at Five-Eight would be the best option and would complement each other very well. Reynolds has a great kicking game and can kick goals whilst Pearce has an excellent running and passing game. We all know Hodkinson and J. Reynolds are average and that Hayne and Gallen won us origin last year, and Hayne will not be there this year. To me, A. Reynolds/Pearce is the best combination.

isaiah

Bench
I know it's eons away but it's something I can't help pondering. I guess because there's not much to think about in the off season ..

There's a lot to think about.

J Reynolds and Hokko are the incumbents in a winning team. So it's hard to justify replacing them ... or is it?

On the form they showed at the back end of the year Hokko and J Reynolds are the last people you would pick.

On form I think Pearce should get the 7 jersey. And James Maloney the 6 for the sake of having a combination.

But picking Pearce would represent a step backwards, picking a half back who has already failed countless times.

What about Adam Reynolds? I'm clearly biased, but I think he's good enough. And Andrew Voss agrees with me

Usually when Origin comes around, there is a lot of media hype about whoever the competitions leaders halves are being in the realm for selection. This is how J Reynolds and Hokko fluked their way into the Blues this year. And got the win .. can't be taken away from them.

Next year when May comes around, I assume Easts, Bunnies, Panthers and Canterbury will all be up there.

So that assumption leaves us with a lot of prepackaged halves combinations to select from: Pearce/Maloney, A Reynolds/Keary, Soward/Wallace, J Reynolds / Hodkinson.

And then there's all sorts of mix and match options .. Soward/Pearce? A Reynolds/Soward?

Or how about a roughy .. Aiden Siezer and Albert Kelly?

Man, picking the NSW halves is so much fun.
might not be albert kelly, he's off to england

WellsNZ

Juniors
Pearce was electric through the end of the season, but Hodkinson and Reynolds got the job done, they should get the chance to do it again.

Hodkinson was clearly playing injured at the end of the year, I don't think you can put much stock into how he was playing.

NSW chopped and changed halves so often during the Queensland streak. Now that they've finally found a pair that did the job, I sure as f**k don't want to see them just chop and change again. I'd be bringing back as many from that series winning side as I could.

Latest posts