What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW U20's 2015

1. Alex Johnston
2. Charlie Taylor
3. Sione Mata'utia
4. Tom Trbojevic
5. Nathan Davis
6. Drew Hutchison
7. Jackson Hastings
8. Matt Lodge
9. Joey Lussick
10. Oliver Clark
11. Tevita Pangai
12. Tepai Moeroa
13. Jack Bird

14. Willis Meehan
15. Tyrell Fuimaono
16. Josh Aloiai
17. Addin Fonua-Blake

What could be the strongest squad that we could select next year? I realise a lot of players won't be released by their clubs, but let's ignore that for now.

Discuss....

junior fan

Juniors
Pretty early for this.

Although in saying that they nearly always include those playing NRL (McInness excluded) so Johnston, Moeroa, Meehan and Mata'utia are givens, should they be allowed to play. Those that debut before the game are also more than likely to be selected.

Those that played a year young last year are also highly likely. Thus Aitken, Hutchinson, Bird and Lodge should be there. That leaves it more than likely like:

1. Alex Johnston
3. Sione Mata'utia
4. Euan Aitken
6. Drew Hutchison
8. Matt Lodge
10. Willis Meehan
12. Tepai Moeroa
13. Jack Bird

You can take Josh Aloiai out as he isn't eligible for State of Origin he is a NZer.

At this point I'd go

1. Alex Johnston
2. Michael Morgan
3. Sione Mata'utia
4. Euan Aitken
5. Taane Milne
6. Drew Hutchison
7. Jackson Hastings
8. Matt Lodge
9. Grant Garvey
10. Willis Meehan
11. Vincent Leuluai
12. Tepai Moeroa
13. Jack Bird

14. Addin Fonua Blake
15. Nathan Davis
16. Tevita Pangai
17. Cheyne Whitelaw

Last edited:

Son of Minto

Bench
That NSW side is really strong. Another win for them I think.

Tried to come up with a Qld side but I haven't seen much of the guys eligible for next year. I assume the guys still eligible from this years side will still be there (Val Holmes, Brenko Lee, Jayden Nikorima, Joe Ofahengaue, Luke Bateman).

Big Pete

Referee
Yeah, it's pretty rough coming up with a Queensland team.

Reckon you'll see a few Broncos boys in the mix - the likes of Paul Byrnes, Jordan Drew, Jayden Berrell, Jai Arrow & Ash Taylor.

Not overly familiar with the Cowboys. Do know you've got a couple of really good young guys coming through, the likes of Cooper Bambling, Regan Grieve & Coen Hess but they maybe too young to nab a spot.

Do the Titans have anyone to contribute?

Son of Minto

Bench
Shaun Hudson a chance for a centre/wing spot. James Iodice could nab a spot on the bench. Both from the Titans.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Coen Hess get picked, possiby even start. Bambling might miss out, I think Nikorima/Taylor will be the halves. Andrew Niemoeller played U18s last year and seems to be going fine, another for a bench spot maybe. Regan Grieve a chance, maybe 2016.

We'll get a good indication of the side when the junior emerging squad gets picked in December.

Based on this years side/previous Qld sides/NYC

1. Valentine Holmes
2. Paul Byrnes/Josh Birch?
3. Brenko Lee
4. Shaun Hudson/Jordan Drew/Marion Seve?
5. Byrnes/Birch/Elijah Alick?
6. Jayden Nikorima
7. Ashley Taylor
8. James Iodice? Cant think of too many props.
9. Jayden Berrell
10. Joe Ofahengaue
11. Harry Pondekas
12. Luke Bateman
13. Jai Arrow

14. Cooper Bambling/Jake Turpin/Duncan Paia'aua (he played U18's, mightve committed to NZ?)
15. Andrew Niemoeller
16. Alex Barr/Sam Gee?
17. Coen Hess

Big Pete

Referee
Not sure on Hudson, hasn't really stood out in 20s while Drew would have played 20s Origin this year had it not been for injuries.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Queensland selectors skip an age group and go for somebody like a George Fai, Lindsay Collins or Keegan Hipgrave at prop. I reckon they'll at least be ahead of Gee.

The NSW team for next year looks strong. It will be VERY interesting to see what happens with Tom Trbojevic since Euan Aitken is the incumbent. Maybe he'll be put on the wing but i would be very surprised if he can't get a spot. Another player to watch out for is Latrell Mitchell, in reality he'll be in the mix since south's probably wouldn't release Alex Johnston.

Tucantango

Juniors
Pretty early for this.

Although in saying that they nearly always include those playing NRL (McInness excluded) so Johnston, Moeroa, Meehan and Mata'utia are givens, should they be allowed to play. Those that debut before the game are also more than likely to be selected.

Those that played a year young last year are also highly likely. Thus Aitken, Hutchinson, Bird and Lodge should be there. That leaves it more than likely like:

1. Alex Johnston
3. Sione Mata'utia
4. Euan Aitken
6. Drew Hutchison
8. Matt Lodge
10. Willis Meehan
12. Tepai Moeroa
13. Jack Bird

You can take Josh Aloiai out as he isn't eligible for State of Origin he is a NZer.

At this point I'd go

1. Alex Johnston
2. Michael Morgan
3. Sione Mata'utia
4. Euan Aitken
5. Taane Milne
6. Drew Hutchison
7. Jackson Hastings
8. Matt Lodge
9. Grant Garvey
10. Willis Meehan
11. Vincent Leuluai
12. Tepai Moeroa
13. Jack Bird

14. Addin Fonua Blake
15. Nathan Davis
16. Tevita Pangai
17. Cheyne Whitelaw

JF,

I believe your on the money with that team. Though it will be interesting to see if the likes of Johnson and Mata'utia will actually be released by their clubs. If not I will take Matt Dufty as a smoky for full-back. This kid is lightning quick with great footwork.

I have been watching Aitken as of late and he is going gang-busters. He is such a strong finisher. I am interested if anyone has a view on Milne. I honestly have not seen him play this year, but I do know he was on the cusp of NRL selection at the beginning of the season. I was at the Tigers v Dogs game on Thursday night and watched Morgan score a solo 70-80m try where he ran over the top of Marshall-King in the process so he is looking good.

As with the halves you can't go wrong with Hutcho and Hastings. A great combination.

As with the forwards I believe it will come down to injuries! As with all the positions I suppose!

Last edited:
Was Harold matts player of the year a few years back. Always had huge potential dropped out to pursue music with his brothers and is still caught between the two.

Trueeeee. Never knew that, how do you actually know all this lol?

Ok so you've probably got the ideal team nailed down with your earlier post, but what would be a more realistic team?

I can't see Johnston, mata'utia, Moeroa and Meehan being released for this.one. who would grab those openings?

junior fan

Juniors
Trueeeee. Never knew that, how do you actually know all this lol?

Ok so you've probably got the ideal team nailed down with your earlier post, but what would be a more realistic team?

I can't see Johnston, mata'utia, Moeroa and Meehan being released for this.one. who would grab those openings?

Haha. Have 3 boys, one played against Jakiel. So know that age group well. All my boys played junior reps ironically for 3 different clubs so have seen a lot of the talent coming through over the years.

So hard to know at this stage. Guess it depends which kids start next year in first grade and which don't. Will the above be in the top 17 in their respective clubs when at full strength? If they aren't I assume they will play. Someone like Meehan with cordner and guerra ahead in the back row would struggle and with young guns like Evans and Napa preferred on the bench. Even mata'utia will Uate and McManus come back in once injury free depends who plays at the back perhaps gidley? Johnston a given in souths team. I would think Moeroa better than good chance although should they get Watmough that might change.

For Johnstons spot I believe all the logical candidates have been mentioned Dufty and Trbojevic would be favourites. Latrell is a year younger and is electric. All 3 play 18s origin this year and wouldn't be out of place.

Mata'utia spot would possibly see Morgan shift to centre and then Trbojevic, Nathan Davis or even someone like Jesse Ramien could be a bolter for the spot.

Forwards are a far tougher pick. Assuming someone from the bench would step up. Then if it's a back row spot perhaps tyrell fuimoano.

Haha. Have 3 boys, one played against Jakiel. So know that age group well. All my boys played junior reps ironically for 3 different clubs so have seen a lot of the talent coming through over the years.

So hard to know at this stage. Guess it depends which kids start next year in first grade and which don't. Will the above be in the top 17 in their respective clubs when at full strength? If they aren't I assume they will play. Someone like Meehan with cordner and guerra ahead in the back row would struggle and with young guns like Evans and Napa preferred on the bench. Even mata'utia will Uate and McManus come back in once injury free depends who plays at the back perhaps gidley? Johnston a given in souths team. I would think Moeroa better than good chance although should they get Watmough that might change.

For Johnstons spot I believe all the logical candidates have been mentioned Dufty and Trbojevic would be favourites. Latrell is a year younger and is electric. All 3 play 18s origin this year and wouldn't be out of place.

Mata'utia spot would possibly see Morgan shift to centre and then Trbojevic, Nathan Davis or even someone like Jesse Ramien could be a bolter for the spot.

Forwards are a far tougher pick. Assuming someone from the bench would step up. Then if it's a back row spot perhaps tyrell fuimoano.

Ahhhh that explains a lot lol. How big is Jakiel BTW? When i saw him play for the U20's he didn't look too much smaller then Pauli Pauli!

I thought Meehan and Moeroa wouldn't be available since they weren't available this year or was that because they were injured? Both are aspiring Olympians so it wouldn't surprise me that they're too busy and plus Meehan was in the junior Kangaroo's last year when he was 18.

Moeroa would be in the top 17 at Parra. Most have been really impressed with the kid and he's gone from strength to strength in a struggling Parra outfit. He would be there next year even if we get Watmough and the return of Manu Ma'u.

Sione would also be in the knights top 17 by now. He has to be there somewhere especially if Boyd leaves next year.

Yeah I pretty much agree with everything you've just said. I haven't seen Duffy play but I've seen Lateral and Tom Trbojevic and they both look really talented. I really wonder when they'll get a 1st grade debut, I haven't seen a whole lot of them but how far off would you say they are? Are they as talented as Sione?

Latest posts