What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSWRL Junior Reps 2009

slavetothevibe

Juniors
sorry ill just finish, antther way to do it might be to then make central coast play manly and gold coast st george to shake it up a bit in midweek.

In Sg Ball, this would have meant Manly and Newcastle would have had to win one more game en route to a semi. The 2 lowest ranked winners were Knights and Manly, and the highest ranked losers were St george and Gold Coast, again, you might want to play against the other team in that second mini round (which could contain anything between 0 and 6 games, but in reality, might only contain two or three max).

you see the thing is, everybody's complaints about this system have revolved around the fact it is sudden death, no one is taking anything away from those lower team who won their first play off game but it does seem ludicrous that the 10th, 11th and 12th teams can progress so easily after an average season where they maybe won less then half of their games.

By insterting a second round in, you give each of the top 6 a second bite of the cherry, although it is still advantageous to win this first play off games because you then get a weeks rest. This second round could even by done via "random draw" to spice it up even more. You also make the bottom 6 work slightly harder to get through. I just think it;s a little too easy to get into the 12 and then string a win together and knock out a top team. This "second round" could be changed just to the top 4 getting a second bite maybe, or even just the top 2, either way, they has to be some reward.

To be honest, the result that got my goat a bit was St George losing in teh first week after going all season unbeaten in SG ball, i felt so sorry for them, one bad day and they are out. I feel such a strong season needs to be rewarded somehow.

Last edited:

Tim Brasher

Juniors
Im of the understanding that Parramatta SG Ball Side have launched an appeal to NSWRL following their loss to Brisbane Norths on the weekend as it is believed Norths fielded several unregistered players...

Not sure what will be the outcome of this appeal and the whether a decision will be made prior to this weekends fixtures

juuniorfan

Juniors
Im of the understanding that Parramatta SG Ball Side have launched an appeal to NSWRL following their loss to Brisbane Norths on the weekend as it is believed Norths fielded several unregistered players...

Not sure what will be the outcome of this appeal and the whether a decision will be made prior to this weekends fixtures

That appeal has already been rejected already

As of the top 16

I dont like it at all, I think it should just be kept top 8! And Find another way to include the Queensland Teams, or Just play winner of the the HM or SG ball comps verse the Winner of the Meninga and Connel Cups in the ARL Gf.

Teams from 9 - 12 i really dont think deserve to make finals, like Manly, for example.

Rubber Toes

Juniors
Considering that it is only a half competition , I don't mind the 1 - 12 playoffs. If a team has had a rough draw it may give them a shot at a team that has had a soft draw. Given that 1 - 12 doesn't work in Knock out format , I can't see the harm in a final 16 NSW teams. Allow our teams to play for our Cups and the Qld teams can play for their Maninga and Connell Cups . I don't like the idea of a Qld club holding a Matthews or Ball Cup . There could then be a super playoff between NSW and Qld winners or a top 4 from each state to play in a knockout series to get a National Junior Reps Club Champion .
Junior Rep players need to get back to their junior leagues asap for the sake of junior football, so time becomes a factor . The comp starts in summer, it could start a couple of weeks earlier .

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
Make the comp the whole season long. It could then start in March and everyone can play each other.

What benefit do these boys get, going back to junior local footy.

Make the comp the whole season long. It could then start in March and everyone can play each other.

What benefit do these boys get, going back to junior local footy.

Yeah lets burn them out at 23 and forget about education.

If they want to play harder footy then junior leagues need to broaden their thinking.

eg Teams play each other once in their junior footy and the 2 highest ranked teams enter a conference system

Western:: Wests, Parra, Penrith, Canterbury and so on for other areas.

Then winners and runners up in conferences play final series.

This way club footy doesn't die out and we ease them into season long demands of tough footy.

Deetroy72

Juniors
To be honest, the result that got my goat a bit was St George losing in teh first week after going all season unbeaten in SG ball, i felt so sorry for them, one bad day and they are out. I feel such a strong season needs to be rewarded somehow.[/quote]

I was fortunate to watch both games st. george vs manly and even though manly get thrashed by st.george last round of sg ball they actually won the second half and the tries they let in was just poor defensive reads and sloppy tackling by manly. also the st.george winger had a brilliant game that night....

now move 1 week ahead to the knockout stage and manly very solid defense coupled with st. george not bothering to show up and make many of the unforced errors manly had done the week before. watching committed young men realise they have a chance to knock over the no. 1 seed will be a lasting memory of the sg ball comptition for me.

looking at the sg. competition draw st. george did not have a very hard draw anyways ie: central coast, titans, sharks, tigers, storm(hm), bears, panthers, jets, manly - congrats that they won 8 and draw 1 but IMO kudo's to manly for taking the week to work on certain area's and showing up on the day

in future i would like to see atleast the top 2 get a second life and the last qualifiers work extra to make the playoffs BUT for the hard working parents still carting their teenage boys to games each week having to get to the ground extra early so the boys can assimilate to conditions not to forget getting the boys to training atleast 3 times a week - i see this as a gift from the football gods that should a team showup ready to play on the day then all previous results go out the window and for every person querying the system there are very happy parents and families getting ready for st mary's on saturday

cant wait for this weekend

rambo1

Juniors
Allow our teams to play for our Cups and the Qld teams can play for their Maninga and Connell Cups . I don't like the idea of a Qld club holding a Matthews or Ball Cup .

http://www.ourfootyteam.com/news_09.php#sgBall1gameFromGF280409a

NORTHS DEVILS RIGHT TO PLAY IN SEMI FINAL

Story By :

Saturday's Semi Final ARL National Under 18's Comp clash between the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs and Brisbane's Northern Devils will go ahead as planned.

ourfootyteam spoke with QRL Managing Director Ross Livermore this morning and Mr. Livermore said "it's all just a storm in a tea cup"

"All the 4 (North's Devils) players that were queried about were all eligible to play, they are all registered with the QRL and the local club the Northern Devils"
We asked Mr. Livermore a hypothetical question.

If the Northern Devils win the u18's Grand Final, does that make them the 2009 SG Ball Champions?

"No, if the Northern Devils win the Grand Final, they become the Nations U 18 champions and the runner up will be the 2009 SG Ball Champions"

So if a NSW team wins the U18's Grand Final, they will be the National U 18's Champions as well as the 2009 SG Ball Champions.

ourfootyteam would like to thank Mr. Ross Livermore for taking the time to speak with us today and thank him for his interest in our breaking story.

Rubber Toes

Juniors
Thanks for that news Rambo .
I have enjoyed this years concept with the inclusion of Qld teams , and although Qld clubs are not playing for Matthews or Ball Cups , I would prefer that all Cups are decided before the inter state clashes .
Are the Maninga & Connell Cups decided before the Qld teams mix with the NSW Comp ?

juuniorfan

Juniors
If the Northern Devils win the u18's Grand Final, does that make them the 2009 SG Ball Champions?

"No, if the Northern Devils win the Grand Final, they become the Nations U 18 champions and the runner up will be the 2009 SG Ball Champions"

So if a NSW team wins the U18's Grand Final, they will be the National U 18's Champions as well as the 2009 SG Ball Champions.

So what thats saying, is if Norths Devils win this week against the dogs, and just say Manly beat Melbourne, Manly are SG ball champs?
Even if they lose the grand final their SG ball champs.

Thats a bit dumb, thats why I believe the Two States merge their Grand final winners after both competitions are finished!

rambo1

Juniors
So what thats saying, is if Norths Devils win this week against the dogs, and just say Manly beat Melbourne, Manly are SG ball champs?
Even if they lose the grand final their SG ball champs.

Thats a bit dumb, thats why I believe the Two States merge their Grand final winners after both competitions are finished!

Yes, that's right. Ourfootyteam.com interviewed QRL boss Ross Livermore so I guess you could say it's gospel.

Fin077

Juniors
Harold Matts GF

Parramatta V Bulldogs

SG Ball

Dogs 62
Norths 10

(Half-Time)
Melbourne 18
Manly 10

Rubber Toes

Juniors
H/Matts :
Parra 40 smashed Wests 16.
Wests were gallant but Parra were to good, even without their two main point scorers available .

Bulldogs 26 luckily Newcastle 24
Newcastle held up over the line with a minute to go. So close.

Dogaholic

First Grade
Brisbane devils find Hell on Earth

Story & Photo's BY pk :
The Bulldogs have smashed the Brisbane based Norths Devils 62-10 in the SG Ball Cup semi-final at St Marys Stadium St Marys on Saturday. The match was played in fine conditions.
The Bulldogs have firmed into premiership favouritism after yesterday’s outstanding display and will play the Mexicans from across the border Melbourne in the grand final at St Marys Stadium next Saturday.

Melbourne Storm defeated Manly in the other semi final 28-14 and it sets up a delicious decider with a state of origin feel about it. So can the Storm beat the Bulldogs next week?

Find out later in the week with our exclusive preview of the grand finals! You want news on the junior reps? Look no further than ourfootyteam.com for all the latest breaking news on the grand finals.

So what happened to Norths Devils? Did this team really beat Parramatta last week? One wag suggested that the Devils left their form behind in a suitcase at Brisbane Airport yesterday.

Defeating the Eels last week in Brisbane suddenly catapulted the Devils into the semi-finals of the strongest rugby league age competition in the world – but this time it was in Sydney and against the might of Sydney powerhouse club the Bulldogs.

I posed the question in our exclusive preview earlier in the week; Can Norths Devils travel and continue their great form?

Er.....well, no is the obvious answer to that now.

The Devils found they were in a hell on earth at St Marys yesterday and nobody could help them.

But that’s enough of the Devils. Yesterday belonged to the mighty Bulldogs.

They were sensational. They are strong up front and have strike power all over the field and they have flair. Eat your heart out Parramatta – these boys aren’t robots and they like to throw the ball around and that’s why they’re in the grand final.

The scoring started in the 3rd minute when second rower Chris Thomas stormed onto a good ball from his skipper and half back Liam Ayoub and found the line. Dogs 4-0.

Six minutes later best on ground and five eighth Aidan Sezer seized upon an opportunity after a Devil’s loose pass was batted back infield by their centre Joel Bailey. Like a thief in the night Sezer grabbed the ball and ran ten metres to score. Dogs 10-0.

In the 19th minute Dogs hooker Mark Gordon noticed the Devil’s defence asleep and scored from dummy half five metres out. Dogs lead 16-0.

Two minutes later that man Sezer was in the action again when he broke the line fifty five metres out and passed to flying fullback Nathan Massey who was in support to score a great try. Dogs lead 22-0.

Just when you thought the Sezer show was finished he noticed there was no opposition fullback at home in the 29th minute. Fifty metres out he calls for the ball then expertly chips the ball over the confused Devil’s defence. He then regathers the ball on the bounce and scorched the St Marys turf to score a great try. Dogs lead 28-0.

Big Dogs winger Ratu Tagive scored a good try right on half time after good lead up work by Chris Thomas, centre Richard Irwin and Massey put him over in the corner to give the Dogs a half time score of 34-0.

It took six minutes of play in the second half for the Dogs to continue the slaughter. Massey and Sezer combined again after the latter chipped for him to regather and score twelve metres out. Dogs 40-0.

Skipper Ayoub was next on the try scoring queue. He noticed his halves mate Sezer was going pretty good with the chips and you could hear him thinking aloud in the 48th minute and twelve metres out from the Devils line; should I chip and try and regather?

Yes son – go for it! And he did. Dogs 46-0.

Goal kicking centre Ali Hijazi was next. He saw his backline partners Massey and Sezer waiting for the ball and their mouths drooling for another score. He got sick of kicking all the goals and not scoring a try. So he fixed that in the 50th minute when he picked up the ball from dummy half and found the white line. Dogs 52-0.

The Devils finally got on the board with a try to centre Aaron Whitchurch after good lead up work inside in the 55th minute. Dogs 52-6.

Five minutes later the Devils went in again after winger Michael Lucas scored in the corner after the Bulldogs argued he had stepped into touch. Dogs 52-10.

The Dogs finished off the slaughter in the 63rd and 70th minutes of play through tries by winger Chris Taripo and Alai Taufaao.

Fulltime 62-10.

Best players for the Devils were NSWCHS rep and lock Chris Binge and centre Aaron Whitchurch.

The Bulldogs had many stars. None better that sensational five eighth Aidan Sezer who set up numerous tries, scored two tries himself and kicked nine goals for a personal tally of 26 points. Well done Aidan. You entertained us all.

Other great players were prop Teni Waipouri, half Liam Ayoub, hooker Mark Gordon, second rower Chris Thomas, Massey and Hijazi.

I’m already drooling at the mouth waiting for the clash of Waipouri against Melbourne’s giants Sepati Afu and Jordan McLean next week.

Bulldogs 62 (N Massey 2 A Sezer 2 C Tarido R Tagive L Ayoub M Gordon A Aualiittia A Taufaao A Hijazi tries A Hijazi 9 goals) def Norths Devils 12 (M Lucas A Whitchurch tries P Hegarty 2 goals)

PK’s Best & Fairest:

3 – Aidan Sezer Bulldogs five eighth
2 – Teni Waipouri Bulldogs prop
1 - Ali Hijazi Bulldogs centre