What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ ANZAC Test Team predictions

ozenzud

Juniors
SKD will have to be one centre would he not? Particularly if Kata is out. Kata should really be playing for Tonga anyway

JJ

Immortal
Neither SKD or Kata should be anywhere near a centre jumper for the Kiwi's IMO

jaseg

Juniors
Takairangi injured his knee, Kahu still injured? Otherwise it looks like we're down to Hiku, Beale & SKD for the left centre spot...

I'd almost be tempted at this point to move Rapana there and play Fus on the wing alongside Vunivalu... I can't remember probably, but did he come through at the Titans as a centre? Or am I thinking of Tomane?

gordynz

Juniors
Kidwell's selection for our Outside Backs is crucial. There is no way he can select either SKD or Kata, and to be honest I hope he doesn't pick Nightingale despite how well he's been playing for the Dragons.

Whare and Kahu should be our centres with Rapana and either Vunivalu/Fusitua on the wings. In the forwards, the likes of Bromwich, Luke, Mannering and Taumalolo are all guaranteed to be starting which leaves two spots up for contention. Personally, I hope Kidwell starts Blair in the Front Row with Bromwich and move Taupau into the Second Row alongside Mannering but I can see him showing faith to Proctor/Mau.

The bench is anybody's guess, a great problem to have when you look at the depth we've got these days. I initially said we should go for four big body's but after watching Nikorima play these last few weeks I have to chuck him in there.

1. RTS
2. Vunivalu/Fusitua
3. Kahu
4. Whare
5. Rapana
6. Foran
7. Johnson
8. Bromwich
9. Luke
10. Blair
11. Taupau
12. Mannering
13. Taumalolo

14. Nikorima
15. Asofa-Solomona
16. Proctor/Mau
17. Tapine

Cold Roses

Juniors
Vunivalu isn't eligible for The Kiwis. We definitely need Whare and Rapana there, which leaves Kahu as the next best option. Putting him at centre or wing on the left is a good option, it just depends who we can pair him with. Fusitua was all at sea on the left side during the Four Nations game.

Nikorima is a must off the bench. He's the sort of player who could turn the game for us by running at those big Australian forwards late in the game.

Cold Roses

Juniors
Neither SKD or Kata should be anywhere near a centre jumper for the Kiwi's IMO

SKD was huge for us in the 2014 Four Nations wins and the 2015 Mid Year test. Unfortunately his handling issues seem to have reappeared and he was woeful in the 2016 tests. When in form he can do the job for us. It's just his inconsistency which is terrifying.

Kata doesn't deserve a Kiwis jersey. He's in awful form.

Last edited:

TheDMC

Bench
Kidwell's selection for our Outside Backs is crucial. There is no way he can select either SKD or Kata, and to be honest I hope he doesn't pick Nightingale despite how well he's been playing for the Dragons.
Ideally rapana and fus as wings but if one needed in the centers then nightingale is a must on the wing t. Proven test player, in form, and his game is perfectly suited to test footy.

Cold Roses

Juniors
Ideally rapana and fus as wings but if one needed in the centers then nightingale is a must on the wing t. Proven test player, in form, and his game is perfectly suited to test footy.

We could do a lot worse than Kahu and Nightingale on the left. They are reasonably defensively sound, and it leaves our strike players (Whare/Rapana) on their preferred right side. We need to get some penetration from our backs in this game, and those two are our strongest pairing.

jaseg

Juniors
Hiku is hopeless. He shouldn't be anywhere near the side.

Yep - it's why I lumped him in with the other two.

That Takairangi injury has really hurt us. I know lots here didn't have him in their team but he was far and away the best option at left centre, I think.

Why the hell did Vunivalu put his hand up for NZ last year if he wasn't eligible lol?

I'm not convinced yet on Kahu as a centre (or really as anything beyond a decent goalkicking winger and a defensively game fullback), but it's not like we have much in the way of good options.

I also don't buy into the 'Fus can't play left' theory. It was a small sample size and he was playing outside Kata... that puts anyone at an immediate disadvantage, particularly against a good team.

Big Marn

Juniors
Is Sosaia Feki from Sharks not eligible? I would have him in the frame for selection if so.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Is Sosaia Feki from Sharks not eligible? I would have him in the frame for selection if so.
Kidwell might pick Feki, not sure about his eligibility as I have seen him play for Tonga. He's playing solid enough. Nightingale, DWZ, Fustiua and Kahu are playing well on the wings for their clubs, its a good headache for Kidwell.

TheDMC

Bench
Should be a cracker of a test - we look likely to be able to field a near full strength kiwis team, first time in ages I think. Means we will be evenly matched overall, perhaps stronger in the forwards and weaker in the backs.

JohnDoe

Juniors

Definitely eligible, born in Auckland and has been named in Kiwi train on squads before. Probably the only reason he's yet to plau for the Kiwis is because of injuries.