What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ v Poms in US

DC_fan

Coach

The CBS Network has access to 60 million households across America and Canada, which is quite a large number. That’s a potential audience of 150 million plus people. But, the big words here are potential audience. It would be great even if we reached one percent of those numbers (600K/1.5m). But I see that as a real reach, and most unlikely. Anyway, the game is out there for North Americans to watch if they want. It would be interesting to hear final viewing numbers.

roughyedspud

Coach
The CBS Network has access to 60 million households across America and Canada, which is quite a large number. That’s a potential audience of 150 million plus people. But, the big words here are potential audience. It would be great even if we reached one percent of those numbers (600K/1.5m). But I see that as a real reach, and most unlikely. Anyway, the game is out there for North Americans to watch if they want. It would be interesting to hear final viewing numbers.

Thanks for the lesson..but the point is why the f**k does the headline contain the word NRL!

RedVee

First Grade
Thanks for the lesson..but the point is why the f**k does the headline contain the word NRL!
Unfortunately, here 90% of ‘the great unwashed’ refer to the game as a whole as ‘NRL’. Which shits me.
So - to appeal to them I guess.

roughyedspud

Coach
Official attendance 19,320..

I'd still rather have the sold out sign up over at the 18,000 capacity football stadium than 50,000 empty seats at mile high...

Hopefully next year we'll fill that lower bowl..I'm certainly going to be looking at going...few days in Vegas then a couple of days in Denver..awesome trip that

Matua

Bench
Congrats England fans. Pulled away well at the end, but I'm still leased with the Kiwis effort and look forward to an EOYT with two full strength teams (minus the ones the NRL will screw us over with).

Lets have an Oz ref for the tour though - just for the 'look' of neutrality, it's a bit weird still having refs from the team playing these days - it's not 1954.

Pommy

Coach
Congrats England fans. Pulled away well at the end, but I'm still leased with the Kiwis effort and look forward to an EOYT with two full strength teams (minus the ones the NRL will screw us over with).

Lets have an Oz ref for the tour though - just for the 'look' of neutrality, it's a bit weird still having refs from the team playing these days - it's not 1954.

Did Madge quit his job with the NRL refs? I would say that’s a bigger conflict of interest than having an English ref.
If he has quit that job then I totally agree.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Suck shyte NZ.

I normally go for the kiwis against the Pommie bastards.

But hey you want to rest your two best and spit at international football.

f**k you kiwis, weak as, may Fiji continue to beat you and your clown administrators.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Imagine being as miserable as Paul Kent

Did you listen to what he actually said?

What he said about Jason Moore, Moore sports, and the RLIF and what their intentions behind supporting these games and the WC in 2025 actually are was pretty accurate.

What he said about the actual value to the growth of the sport in America of these games and the WC in 2025 in of themselves was pretty spot on as well.

What he alluded to about what it would actually take to crack the American market was slightly vague but still pretty spot on as well.

In fact apart from the misguided stuff about juniors in Victoria, seemingly his opinion that it isn't worth the time or money to scout the pro sports rejects over there, and seemingly his opinion that America is either to hard or expensive a market for the sport to crack he was pretty spot on about everything, you may not want to hear it but it was an accurate assessment of the actual situation.

If the plans for this 'push' into the American market remain what they currently are then in twenty years time it will be forgotten just like the SOO game played in California and the AFL games played all over the globe...

Last edited:

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Naaaa, he's a parasite on the game, always shitting on it, Report on afl you flog and leave rl to the people that actually like it and follow it.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Naaaa, he's a parasite on the game, always shitting on it, Report on afl you flog and leave rl to the people that actually like it and follow it.

I don't disagree, but in this case what he said in that discussion was a fair representation of the situation and his criticisms were mostly fair as well.

taipan

Referee
Kent may well be accurate on many of those points.Interestingly he ignored the fact CBS (a competitor for Fox in the U.S.A.) had rights to the broadcast of the match to a potential audience not actual of 60m.
Kent is stating the bleeding obvious the U.S market is hard one to even scrape the surface.

SOO in California was a one off.These Denver matches are part of a pre arranged trilogy.There was no RLWC on the horizon when California was involved.It was played on some crappy down market field in California.Denver was on a prestigious Bronco' s field.

There is already a semi pro team in Toronto,another wanting to be involved in New York.How they pan out in the next few years is open to conjecture.

The event AFAIK cost the NRL zilch.In fact Foxtel benefitted with extra content here.

If Kent had his way we'd have a national rugby league in every state ,which is great, and yet SFA Internationals.

Kent hates the NRL admin with a passion, you can hear it in his every comment on NRL 360.And they certainly have their flaws.
Ever since Gallop was given the heave ho,it's open season.
Rarely if ever I heard him have a shot at Gallop in the past and that applies ditto to Rothfield's comments.If you are New's aligned you are a protected species.Perhaps he'll have a comment about Jessica's Halloran's (a News journo), shot at the NRL over the past couple of days.Waiting......

One minute he's a legal expert, the next a financial guru, the next a marketing genius, and the business types at the commission don't have a clue.He's a rugby league /sports' journalist nothing more.
The days of Peter Frilingos and Mike Gibson are long gone unfortunately.Balanced reporting now a novelty.

Latest posts