What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organised crime and drugs in sport investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Has anyone ever considered that the ACC don't really care about locking anyone up. They just want to scare the shit out of everyone so maybe they stop doing it

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
THE AFL has refused to reveal if it will investigate serious allegations of match-fixing, illegal gambling and drug use levelled at the Brisbane Lions.

Jason McGrath, the cousin of Lions premiership player Ash McGrath, has made a series of threats to expose behaviour at the club between 2002 and 2009, as the fallout continues from Australian sport's doping storm.

The Courier-Mail can confirm that Jason McGrath, a self-confessed drug dealer, was seen in the Lions' dressingrooms and at functions at times during that period.

The newspaper made contact with Jason McGrath after he made a series of Facebook posts claiming he was ready to expose dodgy AFL practices: "If you don't think the drugs and match-fixing is real, I bet on the AFL and was involved in a game being fixed."

He told the newspaper he had been a drug supplier between 2002 and 2009 and named six Lions players from that period who were heavy users of speed, ecstasy and marijuana.

He said members of the Lions' coaching staff knew some players were regular drug users.

Lions chief executive Malcolm Holmes refused to confirm if the club would investigate the claims or pass the allegations on to the AFL.

"The Brisbane Lions do not comment on unsubstantiated allegations, rumour or innuendo," Holmes said.

The AFL has also refused to say whether it will look into Jason McGrath's claims.

The Courier-Mail can confirm the Lions administration at the time had heard suggestions about drug use by two of the players in question.

Jason McGrath claims to have been involved in fixing a match involving the Lions in 2003, another instance of spot fixing, and to have regularly received inside team information from Lions players just before games for the purposes of betting.

Jason McGrath also told of an occasion where he had delivered an ounce of speed to a Mad Monday celebration at the Broadway Hotel, another where a player was hospitalised after a binge on speed, and multiple times where players had smoked pot in his home.

He also said he had supplied cocaine to players on occasion.

Four players named by Jason McGrath are still playing in the AFL.

He also claimed he would provide to the newspaper betting slips and phone records to substantiate his claims about match-fixing, but he has since gone to ground and refused to return phone calls.

He claims to have received threats from a current player after making his Facebook posts.

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/afl...-of-match-fixing/story-fnelctok-1226579848727

Joker's Wild

Coach
The longer this goes on the worse it seems to get for the ping pongers

Mean while NRl clubs just keep getting cleared of wrong doing

Diesel

Referee

I totally agree. With links to bikie gangs, a possible Essendon tip off and now the Lions being mentioned its not looking good for them. Last week was about the NRL and it was pretty much a nothing story.

The AFL #2 man is probably wishing he had taken the NRL job if this all falls to shit for them

El Diablo

Post Whore
interesting Essential report

Drugs in sport

Q. How much of a problem do you think taking performance enhancing drugs is in these sports?

56% of respondents think taking performance enhancing drugs is a major problem in cycling, 41% think it is a major problem in athletics, 39% in AFL football and 37% in NRL rugby league.

38% of AFL football followers think it is a major problem in their sport and 26% of NRL followers think it is a major problem in their sport. 40% of AFL followers think it is a major problem in NRL.

46% of Victorian respondents think performance enhancing drugs is a major problem in the AFL.

AFL fans are like Caroline Wilson

Take Chip

Juniors
I totally agree. With links to bikie gangs, a possible Essendon tip off and now the Lions being mentioned its not looking good for them. Last week was about the NRL and it was pretty much a nothing story.

The AFL #2 man is probably wishing he had taken the NRL job if this all falls to shit for them

Sounds to me they've got f**k all on either code. This is as bad a political put up job as there is - not surprising Labor is dodging scandals left and right and the so-called "blackest day in Australian sport" is announced.

As for match fixing its a hell of a lot easier to fix a soccer match than one in league or Aussie Rules. Teams have tanked in Aussie Rules absolutely no doubt about that, to grab higher draft picks, but I doubt there's been match fixing in either code to be honest.

Take Chip

Juniors
isn't tanking match fixing?

it is imo

I guess, technically, but I count match-fixing as doing so for like a criminal sydnicate for betting purposes like what happened in Europe, or like what the mafia used to do in the USA with boxing....what the tanking AFL clubs did was to deliberately throw matches (like taking the best players off the field, changing others to different positions etc) to get better draft picks, not for money reasons.

Irony is the tanking clubs have done nothing as a result of having the better picks. One of the main culprits in Melbourne is a basket-case; if it was a horse it would have been shot about a decade ago.

Clarke

Juniors
They haven't done anything bad enough to make the Liberals a palatable option.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Wasn't that obvious?

I'm glad he didn't take the job.

it is imo

I agree

Although it's not illegal unless there is financial gain out of it.

Fire

First Grade
A short video of Jeremy Hickmans talking about our supplements. It's pretty much an advertisement for Musashi, but gives a good insight into how supplements are taken, etc. Sounds like Hickman's ran a tight ship.

f**k we were awesome, what happened :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j5NFC8kyso

First Grade
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Wasn't that obvious?

I'm glad he didn't take the job.

I agree

Although it's not illegal unless there is financial gain out of it.

I would think it is illegal as it would of in some way impacted on peoples wagers. To say there is no financial gain would be incorrect as somebody be it a punter or the bookie gained money by a false result

Matchball

Bench
I would think it is illegal as it would of in some way impacted on peoples wagers. To say there is no financial gain would be incorrect as somebody be it a punter or the bookie gained money by a false result

Bookies have most to gain from matches being fixed. They have all the money.
ACC should start there and work backwards.

Take Chip

Juniors

The biggest impact is on the integrity, or lack thereof, of the AFL. There would be a lot less impact on punters/bookies generally because those teams tanking are at the arse end of the table anyway. It's a huge issue because why would anyone want to watch or turn up to a game where you know the result beforehand; there are a lot more "upset" wins and the competition is closer in the NRL than what it is in AFL.

But if you call that match-fixing there is a lot of it going on in sport in general - for example in the women's cricket World Cup the other day Australia lost vs the West Indies, meaning the other best team in the world, the Poms, were knocked out of the tourney. Australia then went to the final and trounced the Windies; I guess I wouldn't call that match-fixing, more just throwing a game. Anyway, the Poms deserved it as Australia beat them earlier in the tourney and they lost another game they should have won meaning the tourney was out of their own hands.

docbrown

Coach

it is imo

Yes. You've predetermined the result of the match.

Remember that story about one particular sports CEO trying to get others to attend the press conference? It was assumed incorrectly by the hacks that it was the freshly appointed David Smith but it seems unlikely that Demetriou would be at Smith's beck and call.

But what if it were the other way around...?

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
If that is true about the Lions, that could very well be the final nail in the coffin for the club. They're already struggling badly with poor on field performance, no money and nose diving membership numbers.

Diesel

Referee
If that is true about the Lions, that could very well be the final nail in the coffin for the club. They're already struggling badly with poor on field performance, no money and nose diving membership numbers.

There are a lot of fickle Lions fans in Brisbane, if they aren't doing well you'd be looking at around 12000 or so, if they are doing well the 40K Gabba is sold out most games. Even with up to a 12000 strong fan base, you don't hear a lot of people talking about the Lions.

There could be a lot of hurt coming the Lions way

Status
Not open for further replies.