What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ot- qantas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quigs

Immortal
Power to the workers.

(hey DJ my ex brother in law was an engineer at Qantas for zonks... been retired about 10 years now. He retired to Emu Park. He got out when the first wave you speak of was hitting the fan. Ferrington is his surname)

My opinion from a long way off - if you have three different unions inc the normally conservative pilots battling it with da lil Irishman then there must be some reasonable grounds for complaint.

That payrise to foureyes was a joke particularly at this time.

But who in the State of Farry O'Barrell is already lining up for the fight... Police, Nurses, Ambos, Teachers, Public Servants.

It's all happening Reg.

In one of my former working lifes, I was involved at an airport. During my time in my supervisory position I took a stand and defended my small workgroup from the might and power of two airline companies.

Our odds where a hiding to nothing. My employer, an Australian wide company was being squeased by the balls by the Airlines companies and refused to / or could not go to bat for us. This was happening at three Regional Queensland Airports.

Long story short ..... in the end the Airlines directed that company ordered me from the Airport as they had considered and assessed that I was a threat to the wellbeing and safety of their aircrafts. When I got the call I was directed to get my subordiate to come on duty, pack and box all my property and convey it to my residence and of course..... I .... like Elivis ..... had to leave the building.

I look on that day as one of the proudest days of my working life.

Farkkkk em and f**k the little foureyed irish prick.

Windy70

Juniors
DJ. I'm with you on the top dogs ripping companies off. Happens every where. You should see what they have done to our airline in Vanuatu. I just don't agree with puncturing the tank when your asking for more water. Being a boilermaker and working in the maintenance industry my whole life I understand that we are the in the trenches and get forgotten about. But I just struggle to understand the philosophy of damaging the very company that pays your mortgage every week.

But like I said, I have had stuff all to do with unions so really don't understand the process. To me it is this guy in a suit (the union dude) telling me I have to do this or that in order to get something which I, personally, may never have asked for. I just don't like , or understand that. I have no doubt Unions do some good, but the power they wield and the effect of there calls on individuals is astounding.

sharknows

Bench
I can see both sides, but I am not a fan of unions, have refused to be a member my whole life. Makes no sense to say "we want more money" so "let's cripple the company and make them lose money".

Just stupid.

That's pretty narrow minded statement. So you don't believe that workers should be paid a fair wage & work under reasonable conditions & terms of employment?? And I bet you don't mind taking the pay rises the union wins for you.

Windy70

Juniors
That's pretty narrow minded statement. So you don't believe that workers should be paid a fair wage & work under reasonable conditions & terms of employment?? And I bet you don't mind taking the pay rises the union wins for you.

Read my next post mate. I understand the good they do but I have also seen the negatives. But yes, all workers deserve fair pay and conditions and I would not say no to a payrise. But that means nothing in the full scheme of things and the effects on a person to person, family to family basis that is happening as we speak. Is it fair? f**k no. But it is happening.

redback

Bench
Power to the workers.

(hey DJ my ex brother in law was an engineer at Qantas for zonks... been retired about 10 years now. He retired to Emu Park. He got out when the first wave you speak of was hitting the fan. Ferrington is his surname)

My opinion from a long way off - if you have three different unions inc the normally conservative pilots battling it with da lil Irishman then there must be some reasonable grounds for complaint.

But who in the State of Farry O'Barrell is already lining up for the fight... Police, Nurses, Ambos, Teachers, Public Servants.

It's all happening Reg.

In one of my former working lifes, I was involved at an airport. During my time in my supervisory position I took a stand and defended my small workgroup from the might and power of two airline companies.

Our odds where a hiding to nothing. My employer, an Australian wide company was being squeased by the balls by the Airlines companies and refused to / or could not go to bat for us. This was happening at three Regional Queensland Airports.

Long story short ..... in the end the Airlines directed that company ordered me from the Airport as they had considered and assessed that I was a threat to the wellbeing and safety of their aircrafts. When I got the call I was directed to get my subordiate to come on duty, pack and box all my property and convey it to my residence and of course..... I .... like Elivis ..... had to leave the building.

Well put mate.

azzah72

Bench
Power to the workers.

It's all happening Reg.

Here Here

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I am an owner of Qantas. I fully approve of Joyces pay rise & strategy. The option is to return to the communistic/labor/Union ways & have the government take ownership of Qantas again so they can compete against other national owned carriers.
If the qantas employees dont like the working conditions, move on.

& on a hilarious note, i expect we should see the coward liar on here most of the week, seeing he has so much time on his hands , being "on strike " & all. lets see how the coward weezles his way of this lunch time tomorrow when he is at his real job & cant post.

Rexxy

Coach
Police, Nurses, Ambos, Teachers, Public Servants.

those professions have had it pretty good in the last 20 years. Plenty of people in other industries whose wages/professional fees have fallen heaps - that's if their industry is lucky to be still be around.

Take a cameraman who used to get a grand a day, with camera. Technology drove down the price of equipment, lower levels of entry and all these "schools" turning out "graduates" - which basically means "any merkin with a rich dad and a HD camera."

And a comms graduate was never as good as someone who started in the mail room.

Back to Police Nurses etc...they sail above restructures, re-evaluation, re-engineering, re-training and ultimately the accountability of the market. Conditions are good, wages indexed. Then they moan like a car with a f*cked diff, when they are asked to do something vaguely different to spec.

Good luck to them. But they are now the new upper middle class. And the lone wolves who went nomad all those years ago because they had something to say, and something to prove are now all busted units, looking for part time jobs driving water trucks just to keep ourselves in schooner. Then, for a final stab at middle aged relevance decisions start to get riskier, the calls are bigger - and what happens if it turns to shyte? A pension, and a landlord and a buch of war stories the grand children are sick of hearing.

redback

Bench
I am an owner of Qantas. I fully approve of Joyces pay rise & strategy. The option is to return to the communistic/labor/Union ways & have the government take ownership of Qantas again so they can compete against other national owned carriers.
If the qantas employees dont like the working conditions, move on.

& on a hilarious note, i expect we should see the coward liar on here most of the week, seeing he has so much time on his hands , being "on strike " & all. lets see how the coward weezles his way of this lunch time tomorrow when he is at his real job & cant post.

Owner??? hahaha mate you have a few shares and you claim to be an owner. You obnoxious baboon!

And if I post, I hope it finally shuts you up once and for all! I'll even start up a new thread called..."this one's for the Neanderthal", just so you don't miss it!

Vin Fizz

Bench
It's a joke. Joyce should resign immediately.

How can he vote to give himself a 71% pay increase but deny workers a 3% increase.
Hypocrisy at its best.

Not sure about that DJ. When an EBA is agreed to, the pay rises are implimented over the term of the agreement (ie 2% every say 6 months for 3 years). Those pay rises are set and, pending accaptable performance as ticked off by your manager, happen automaticaly. Mr Joyce is on a contract, not an EBA, however its has the same rules in that way. His pay rises are structured during the term of the contract but are subject to Board and Shareholder (his bosses) scrutiny in terms of performance review. It's just like an EBA. It would be completely different if it were a new contact he was negotiating. The amount of his salary though is another arguement, but I suspect that is what truely angers people.

Last edited:

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Owner??? hahaha mate you have a few shares and you claim to be an owner. You obnoxious baboon!

And if I post, I hope it finally shuts you up once and for all! I'll even start up a new thread called..."this one's for the Neanderthal", just so you don't miss it!
I forgot Mondays are apparently the days off for the tip scavengers. Better make it Tuesdays. Or perhaps you are in the forces?

Frenzy.

Immortal
those professions have had it pretty good in the last 20 years. Plenty of people in other industries whose wages/professional fees have fallen heaps - that's if their industry is lucky to be still be around.

Take a cameraman who used to get a grand a day, with camera. Technology drove down the price of equipment, lower levels of entry and all these "schools" turning out "graduates" - which basically means "any merkin with a rich dad and a HD camera."

And a comms graduate was never as good as someone who started in the mail room.

Back to Police Nurses etc...they sail above restructures, re-evaluation, re-engineering, re-training and ultimately the accountability of the market. Conditions are good, wages indexed. Then they moan like a car with a f*cked diff, when they are asked to do something vaguely different to spec.

Good luck to them. But they are now the new upper middle class. And the lone wolves who went nomad all those years ago because they had something to say, and something to prove are now all busted units, looking for part time jobs driving water trucks just to keep ourselves in schooner. Then, for a final stab at middle aged relevance decisions start to get riskier, the calls are bigger - and what happens if it turns to shyte? A pension, and a landlord and a buch of war stories the grand children are sick of hearing.

The way nurses are paid from the lowest pleb to the apex leaders is way out of whack though Rexxy.

Short story - plebs earn more than managers. The overarching statement that nurses are underpaid is simply incorrect. Pleb nurses are overpaid. Experienced nurses that go into management are underpaid. Higher hourly rate (which IMO as a nurse is acceptable) but in many healthcare environments managers can not work evening and night shifts, overtime, weekends and /or public holidays. The plebs can work all of that, at a lower hourly rate admittedly, but in the end earn 50-75% more than their managers.

Different argument, I know, but a good opportunity for a rant.

Don't start me on university "trained" nurses either. Fekkin useless animals.

By the way, I can't remember a year, in the last 15 at least, where nurses haven't had a 2.5-3% pay increase. Some years it was 4% depending on the negotiation that happened. Generally the negotiation covers a three year period. We are always also backpayed to the beginning of the previous financial year

I suspect it is the same in other public service areas

DJShaksta

First Grade
Vin, that may be the case, but the $2Mil bonus he took was voted on at the AGM held last week, and he got to vote on his own bonus.

DJShaksta

First Grade
I remember EBA 5 and 6 when I was at qantas. long drawn out process.
Qantas negotiating team - if you could call them that" laughed at anything more than a 2.5% increase each year for 3 years. When told that 2.5% was less than CPI, their reply was "oh well".
Thios was when Dixon was at the reins and members of the board all got BMW's as part of their bonuses each year.

Generalzod

Immortal
I can see what you're saying Windy but consider this:
When I moved from Engineering to Flight Ops in 2002 I went onto a Senior Prefessional award, no unions. In my new award was payrises above CPI every year plus perfomance bonuses.
The company is clearly for the office worker and not the maintanence crews who maintain the safety of the aircraft, well they did before all the major maint was shipped offshore under Dixon.
Dixon was just as bad as Joyce if not worse, he systematically pulled the airline apart and sold off bits to ensure he made profits every year. Then would pat himself on the back, outsource more work overseas and give himself a huge bonus.

When Dixon retired he took a $70Mil payout plus more in shares.
The engineers want 3%, hardly seems fair does it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2lDIHyqo7Q&NR=1

These CEO's have a lot to answer for...

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Are you?

Really???

There is no such thing.

Unless you've got a hobby that you're magnanimously paid for each and every person who coughs up their dollars for your services is your boss and sees you as their bitch.

What load of dribble

PJ

First Grade
Just use Virgin.

Far better imo, got better service from them at Bronze than I did from Qantas Gold pushing Platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts