What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ot- qantas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vin Fizz

Bench
Vin, that may be the case, but the $2Mil bonus he took was voted on at the AGM held last week, and he got to vote on his own bonus.

Hard to swallow DJ. I agree 100%. These high flyers build that sort of structure into their remuneration. I had a CEO who had a similar structure in place. While lots of my coleagues got the arse, he reaped bonuses for every 40Mill he saved the organisation. That's what he was employed to do, and come hell or high water he acheived it. Some of my friends benifted, others were left high and dry. It's a shit sandwich on stale bread alright.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Are you?

Really???

There is no such thing.

Unless you've got a hobby that you're magnanimously paid for each and every person who coughs up their dollars for your services is your boss and sees you as their bitch.

What a load of crap.

Ask any of my employees if they need to be a union. Not every single person needs a union. Some yes but NOT ALL!

newman

First Grade
- There was no pilots strike; their action was to not "call in" on the way to work, change the cabin announcement and wear red ties.
- there was no cabin crew strike; their action was some basic work to rule stuff.
- there was 6hours of engineering strikes in 6 months. Which combined with the baggage handlers action (unsure of the figure) cost the airline more in a few weeks than the cost of the wage increase that was demanded, but knocked back because "their wasn't money".

This is not the "devastating" industrial action that Joyce and co are sprouting about and certainly not reason alone to grind the company to a halt. There is something up here. I have a degree in industrial relations (although haven't practiced in ten years). From all of this I know that enormous QANTAS PR machine is in overdrive trying to blame what seems to be an aggressive restructure of the company on the unions (who have no PR machine, or a terrible one) and most people are falling for it hook, line and sinker.

On the other hand, there is a bubbling outrage about executive salaries and this Joyce saga might be the catalyst for some change..

One other thing.... Wether you think an industry is well paid or not, if your wage is not increased according to cpi every year, you are losing money. Going backward. And when most people are finely balanced with mortgages and living costs, this is a big deal. Regardless of where you sit in society, it is not greedy or ungrateful to expect/demand reasonably regular increases commensurate to that amount, and if you don't get them on economy wide levels it places huge pressure on consumer spend, housing indicators and GDP.

Last edited:

Vin Fizz

Bench
- There was no pilots strike; their action was to not "call in" on the way to work, change the cabin announcement and wear red ties.
- there was no cabin crew strike; their action was some basic work to rule stuff.
- there was 6hours of engineering strikes in 6 months. Which combined with the baggage handlers action (unsure of the figure) cost the airline more in a few weeks than the cost of the wage increase that was demanded, but knocked back because "their wasn't money".

This is not the "devastating" industrial action that Joyce and co are sprouting about and certainly not reason alone to grind the company to a halt. There is something up here. I have a degree in industrial relations (although haven't practiced in ten years). From all of this I know that enormous QANTAS PR machine is in overdrive trying to blame what seems to be an aggressive restructure of the company on the unions (who have no PR machine, or a terrible one) and most people are falling for it hook, line and sinker.

On the other hand, there is a bubbling outrage about executive salaries and this Joyce saga might be the catalyst for some change..

One other thing.... Wether you think an industry is well paid or not, if your wage is not increased according to cpi every year, you are losing money. Going backward. And when most people are finely balanced with mortgages and living costs, this is a big deal. Regardless of where you sit in society, it is not greedy or ungrateful to expect/demand reasonably regular increases commensurate to that amount, and if you don't get them on economy wide levels it places huge pressure on consumer spend, housing indicators and GDP.

Point 1: I'm not sure I understand your point Newm. It cost the company more than the pay rises would have cost by doing what matey?

Point 2. Exactly...so what aren't we being told about the demands then!!

The other indicator that this is an agenda'd stunt of the first-rank is that only the international pilots had any action with the company,and QUANTAS management have locked-out all pilots.Domestic and International.

No-one else but the General Manager can ground the entire fleet,the way it has been done.If we need to look for a sole culprit for this situation,then blame lays lays squarely at his feet.Nowhere else.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Just use Virgin.

Far better imo, got better service from them at Bronze than I did from Qantas Gold pushing Platinum.

I agree. My business involves me going interstate quite a bit and I only fly with Virgin. I can access my brother in law's discounted rates but as it's a stand by basis choose not to. The virgin lounge is pure class and I seriously think Virgin will take over domestic Terminal 3 in the next 5-10 years.

John Borghetti must be sitting back with a cigar right now. Borghetti and Joyce had a massive falling out in their Qantas day hence Borghetti's defection to VA. Joyce has now sky rocketed VA like you wouldn't believe.

Lastly if anyone has the chance to fly with V Australia to LA jump on. I flew with them 4 months back with the family in business and the service was truly amazing.

DJShaksta

First Grade
In many circle Snoop it was thought Borghetti should have been CEO after Dixon left.
He now runs Virgin, and they are doing very well.

Tucky

Juniors
I was reading the inflight mag on a Virgin flight earlier this year and there was an interesting article about the reforms and change they had just gone through under Borghetti.

It was probably all Virgin PR spin, but Borghetti came across very well in the article and said he was very much involved with Virgin staff at the "coalface" on a day to day basis.

snoozer

Bench
What a load of crap.

Ask any of my employees if they need to be a union. Not every single person needs a union. Some yes but NOT ALL!
obviously you have good pay and conditions as an employer.

this is not always the case.

i've had a few employers that would've f**ked me over royally if it wasn't for unions.

Quigs

Immortal
Er'e ye go lads...

Just found this one on the net. Linked off a lefty site I go to. It's from the brother of a Qantas Pilot .....

It's a good read.

---------------------------------------------------------

From my brother who is a #qantas pilot:
I just woke up in Honolulu to find a note under my hotel room door saying that after I do a Maximum Weight Takeoff (185,000kgs) with 70,000kgs of fuel tomorrow and safely fly 250 passengers home over the Pacific Ocean for 10.5hrs tomorrow (at times up to 3 hours flight time from any runway) I will be locked out of work for an indefinite time. The Pilots HAVE NOT had 1 stop work meeting OR strike, THIS IS THE COMPANY MANAGEMENT INDUSTRIAL ACTION, not ours.

I can 100% guarantee myself and the 2 other pilots operating my flight tomorrow will be doing our job, shame our management have not been doing theirs.

I would like to write what I really think but will not due to fear for my job.

Updated - I am officially locked out also…here in Honolulu so flight will not depart until this has been sorted out...

For those unsure of what Qantas Pilots have done to provoke this lockout:

-Our negotiating team was at the negotiating table yesterday and due to continue discussions Monday.

-The height of our industrial action was non conformance with the uniform (Red Ties) and in flight announcement policies.

-Not one flight delayed by even 1 minute due to Qantas Pilot industrial action.

We are now locked out…

Vin Fizz

Bench
Er'e ye go lads...

Just found this one on the net. Linked off a lefty site I go to. It's from the brother of a Qantas Pilot .....

It's a good read.

---------------------------------------------------------

From my brother who is a #qantas pilot:
I just woke up in Honolulu to find a note under my hotel room door saying that after I do a Maximum Weight Takeoff (185,000kgs) with 70,000kgs of fuel tomorrow and safely fly 250 passengers home over the Pacific Ocean for 10.5hrs tomorrow (at times up to 3 hours flight time from any runway) I will be locked out of work for an indefinite time. The Pilots HAVE NOT had 1 stop work meeting OR strike, THIS IS THE COMPANY MANAGEMENT INDUSTRIAL ACTION, not ours.

I can 100% guarantee myself and the 2 other pilots operating my flight tomorrow will be doing our job, shame our management have not been doing theirs.

I would like to write what I really think but will not due to fear for my job.

Updated - I am officially locked out also…here in Honolulu so flight will not depart until this has been sorted out...

For those unsure of what Qantas Pilots have done to provoke this lockout:

-Our negotiating team was at the negotiating table yesterday and due to continue discussions Monday.

-The height of our industrial action was non conformance with the uniform (Red Ties) and in flight announcement policies.

-Not one flight delayed by even 1 minute due to Qantas Pilot industrial action.

We are now locked out…

Lots of others in our industry quietly and just as professionaly going about theirs also. Reminds me of a little joke Quigs..... actualy 2.
How do you know there's a pilot at the party? Dont worry....they'l tell you.
Whats the difference between God and a pilot? God doesn't think he's a pilot.

Anyway it is a good read but FMD they head for the high ground (pun intended) dont they?

drago brelli

Bench
Qantas hasn't paid a dividend for 2 yrs and the share price has hardly risen above $1.05 and the mad Irishman gets a 71% pay rise. Ship this fool back to Belfast.

Sharkie73

Bench
That little Irish git announces he's going to cut a 1000 jobs to save money then has the hide to give himself a 2mil bounus!! sorry thats when I started to back the unions.When all this is over his only claim to fame will be the destruction of an Australian Icon well done you little wanker.

Since 73

First Grade
That little Irish git announces he's going to cut a 1000 jobs to save money then has the hide to give himself a 2mil bounus!!

He doesn't give himself the bonus - it's in his contract: profit margins go up by X amount by this date and I get 2 mill bonus. A month out from the date he does the figures and calculates how many jobs have to go to reach said profit margin for the year and thus takes the knife to those jobs.
Easy as Todd laying on 4 points.

That's why he's moving hell and high water to halt these pay rises; they'll bite well into profit margins for the next bonus.

spider

Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/travel/live-coverage-qantas-ordered-back-in-the-air-20111031-1mqtm.html#ixzz1cIkgbetx

ACTU boss Jeff Lawrence says unions will do "whatever it takes" to help get 108 planes back in the air today.

its also interesting that juliuh is now voicing a critical approach agaisnt qantas for disrupting the service. WTF has been going on for the last 2 months juliuh?

me thinks FWA have put their foot down and know what will occur if its not resolved within the time frame granted, and she's riding their coat tails for votes

Status
Not open for further replies.