What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our side for 2011 and 2011 team discussion

Jobdog

Live Update Team
What's wrong with it?

The only issue I can see is that we've got an unknown quantity at halfback, although his credentials are fairly decent...

Adsy

Juniors
1. Kurt Gidley (c).
2. Akuile Uate.
3. Junior Sau.
4. Adam McDougall.
5. James McManus.
6. Jarrod Mullen.
7. Beau Henry.
8. Antonio Kafusi.
9. Isaac De Gois.
10. Neville Costigan. - Praying that he starts at prop.
11. Cory Patterson.
12. Steve Southern - Lets be honest people he wasnt brought for the Centurians.
13. Zeb Taia

14. Matt Hilder.
15. Richie Fa'aso.
16. Joel Edwards.
17. Evarn Tuimavave.

18. Ben Rogers.
19. Wes Naquima.
20. Mark Tafua.
21. Cameron Ciraldo.
22. Dan Tolar.
23. Con Mika.
24. Kyle O'Donnell.
25. Marvin Karawana.
26. Keith Lulia.
27. Kevin Naquima.
28. Pete Mata'utia.

New updated list.

Likiliki doesn't even make your top 28, Baron?

I'm also pretty sure Tetavano and Mc'Donnell will have first grade contracts next year.

Joker's Wild

Coach
We are the new Canberra. We sign very few players each year and rely on our locals and players noone else seems to rate. As a result most fans of other teams right us off and we keep running middle of the pack.

macavity

Referee
We are the new Canberra. We sign very few players each year and rely on our locals and players noone else seems to rate. As a result most fans of other teams right us off and we keep running middle of the pack.

We wish - they are on an upward trajectory, and if it wasn't for the injury to devon-head, they would be contenders next year.

We on the other hand, are currently the epitome of long-term mediocrity.

Noname36

First Grade
We wish - they are on an upward trajectory, and if it wasn't for the injury to devon-head, they would be contenders next year.

Canberra have been mediocre for a lot longer than we have. The last time they were a genuine title contender was pre super league. They're on the improve now no doubt, but it's about bloody time. They've finally got it right with all the kids, and it's something we should be looking at doing. Looking at all of the young talent coming to the club next year I think there's certainly positive times ahead. We might have to wait a year or 2 for them to find their feet, but I can't knock the clubs forward planning.

Joker's Wild

Coach

They're on the up now but 3-4 years ago were virtually in the same position we are in now.

Swings and roundabouts macca

macavity

Referee
They're on the up now but 3-4 years ago were virtually in the same position we are in now.

Swings and roundabouts macca

We had probably the greatest player of all time fall into our lap.... take out that wildcard, and tbh we probably wouldn't even be around in our current form right now.

timka4

Bench
Canberra are useless when Campo isn't firing. Plus once most of their the junior players contracts run out in 1-2 years, a few of them will be poached from another club most likely anyway

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
We had probably the greatest player of all time fall into our lap.... take out that wildcard, and tbh we probably wouldn't even be around in our current form right now.

Yeah but the thing with Johns is, the coach built the team around him, so if he wasn't there the team played crap. We had many rep players there at one stage and even if Johns didn't come along, we would have had Kimmorley who had a good career.

Pre 2004 and such we were still competitive most games as we still had BK and Bedsy ect but after that it just got worse and worse without Joey.

macavity

Referee
so what we are agreed on is that we had Johns (x2), Kimmorley, Matt Gidley, Tahu, Chief, etc... all come along in the space of 10 years.

That probably isn't going to happen again folks. Look at our juniors, do we really see anyone remotely in that sort of class?

sneaky_is_here

Juniors
What's wrong with it?

The only issue I can see is that we've got an unknown quantity at halfback, although his credentials are fairly decent...

We will constantly fall agonizingly short in games we should win. And the ones against the top 4 sides, you will probably find we were one or 2 quality players short.

perverse

Referee
What's wrong with it?

the prop rotation is a shambles. severe lack of quality up front. Costigan has to play out of his skin to emulate what he did at the back end of this year, and my tip is that he will disappoint because of these inflated expectations.

we need quality up front, otherwise we will just continue to win games where our forward pack does manage to get up and equally their opposites, and lose the rest where we get dominated up the middle.

that is what is severely wrong with the team. get it wrong up front and you're always going to struggle. i don't know why this is a shock to anyone as it was the same all last year, and our front row has seemingly only gotten worse since the start of last season unless Costigan has set a new benchmark for himself to play consistently at - which i doubt... and even if he has then i would only say our forward pack is equal to what it was last season. it certainly isn't any better.

with Cross and Costigan i saw potential. now that it has gone out the window we either need a quality Cross replacement, or we're back behind the 8 ball. the only other hope is to sit here with your fingers in your ears and hope that Stone works miracles over the off season with what we already have - and that is naive optimism at best.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
the prop rotation is a shambles. severe lack of quality up front. Costigan has to play out of his skin to emulate what he did at the back end of this year, and my tip is that he will disappoint because of these inflated expectations.

we need quality up front, otherwise we will just continue to win games where our forward pack does manage to get up and equally their opposites, and lose the rest where we get dominated up the middle.

that is what is severely wrong with the team. get it wrong up front and you're always going to struggle. i don't know why this is a shock to anyone as it was the same all last year, and our front row has seemingly only gotten worse since the start of last season unless Costigan has set a new benchmark for himself to play consistently at - which i doubt... and even if he has then i would only say our forward pack is equal to what it was last season. it certainly isn't any better.

with Cross and Costigan i saw potential. now that it has gone out the window we either need a quality Cross replacement, or we're back behind the 8 ball. the only other hope is to sit here with your fingers in your ears and hope that Stone works miracles over the off season with what we already have - and that is naive optimism at best.
You have your thoughts, I have mine. I think the top side is a top eight side for sure. The only problem, as I mentioned in another thread, is the lack of depth, particularly up front. Cross is a loss, but it's not like we've got no one else. Taufua, Tuimavave, Edwards anyone?

Somebody's gotta step up with Costigan or like Cross before him the opposition will put numbers on him and smash him every time.

As someone else suggested it maybe time for Richie to start the game even if it is just for the first 15-20 mins.

afinalsin666

First Grade
likkiliki will destroy, you guys are nasty enough in your back row without adding more firepower

i don't know why you guys went bad this year, i had you tipped for premiers... i lost money :(

Serc

First Grade
so what we are agreed on is that we had Johns (x2), Kimmorley, Matt Gidley, Tahu, Chief, etc... all come along in the space of 10 years.

That probably isn't going to happen again folks. Look at our juniors, do we really see anyone remotely in that sort of class?

Am I right in saying that Joey never played in any rep teams as a kid? If so, you never know when a future gem is sitting right under your nose :)

Who knows, Josh Ailaomai could turn into the next Fui, or say Redman or Marlborough your next Buderus...anything could happen!

perverse

Referee
You have your thoughts, I have mine. I think the top side is a top eight side for sure. The only problem, as I mentioned in another thread, is the lack of depth, particularly up front. Cross is a loss, but it's not like we've got no one else. Taufua, Tuimavave, Edwards anyone?
lol... care to share these "thoughts" as i have mine - and will proceed and continue to do so...

we have no-one else that is Cross' quality. no-one. there is not a front rower at the club that even comes close unless Costigan maintains his stellar form - which is unlikely to happen, especially when he has to be the main man and doesn't have the likes of Merrin and Saffy around to help. pretty much the entire Dragons front row, injuries and all, are better than any of our mob. Cross needed someone to help him out as it was for the vast, vast majority of the year.

i can go into far more explicit detail than this on why our front row is completely inadequate and back it up, can you even give me a broad, pie in the sky reason on how the likes of Taufua, Tuimavave (on the back of how many long term injuries now?) and Edwards are going to get us making good, quality metres? they haven't been adequate for years, what's going to change? what has changed? not one of them have the heart and the motor to do a damn thing - and trying to tell me that they do is completely futile as their body language and actions on the park as well as their statistics all point to the contrary. they are all pea-hearts and they've now lost both of their forward leaders over the past 12 months in Houston and Cross. i'll dig the stats out if you want, but i'm pretty sure you know as well as i do just how poor they are in every facet. the only one of our props worth feeding is Richie, and he's simply not a starter. he's the only one of them that genuinely fills his role with quality.

seriously, go and compare our forward pack stats to any team in the comp. any single one of them. sharks... cowboys... whoever you like. now tell me how - given that we've lost our BEST, most senior prop - we're going to even be as good as we were last year up front? Costigan has been great for about 10 games. you must have infinite faith in the bloke.