What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our side for 2011 and 2011 team discussion

perverse

Referee
Who knows, Josh Ailaomai could turn into the next Fui, or say Redman or Marlborough your next Buderus...anything could happen!
agree with your sentiments... but gee - sh*t is getting desperate when statements like this are floating around, lol.

Noname36

First Grade
you guys are nasty enough in your back row without adding more firepower

That's the problem. Our backrow is great but they're wasted because our props are about as effective as wet paper towel. :(

FMD we need props badly. I honestly believe we're a decent frontrower away from a top 4 finish.

timka4

Bench
likkiliki will destroy, you guys are nasty enough in your back row without adding more firepower

i don't know why you guys went bad this year, i had you tipped for premiers... i lost money :(

1. We used Dureau far to often (although a couple of times we needed him)

2. Fair few injuries and like others have said, no depth.

3. We aren't a premiership winning side yet

Noname36

First Grade
So our prop rotation will probably consist of;

8. Costigan
10. Kaufusi

15. Tui
16. Fass
17. Edwards

18. Tolar - Who I hope we only have to use when there's injuries (unlikely I know)

And what's going on with Taufua? Is he under contract for next year?

Man I hope we get another (decent) prop before next year. Not holding my breath though...

cram

Bench
Serc it's looking like we may need to organize that mass suicide pact for this year :(

Stadium opening game for best impact....lol

Jono078

Referee
I don't think we'll be in the 8, but the positives are

We'll have Gidley from game 1.

Mullen showed what he can really do late this year which is promising.

Cory Paterson returns, hopefully to early year form and even better. Taia starting the season fit and firing also.

There's some positives, not sure if it's enough to get us in the 8 though.

perverse

Referee
not having to use Dureau will be a positive early on if Henry kicks on, which i expect he will... but may not. not that i'm against using Gids or Rogers in the halves at this stage either. halves i'm actually not too worried about next year really... it's just a matter of getting the best combo. i've got my fingers crossed for Henry+Mullo being the pick of the litter.

the problem will be putting enough space between the halves and the defensive line. i feel a bit sorry for Henry if our forwards are the same or worse than last season. talk about a baptism of fire.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
You have your thoughts, I have mine. I think the top side is a top eight side for sure. The only problem, as I mentioned in another thread, is the lack of depth, particularly up front. Cross is a loss, but it's not like we've got no one else. Taufua, Tuimavave, Edwards anyone?

God damn you come up with some weird stuff in your posts! Next thing you'll be talking up Dureau. Oh wait. :sarcasm:

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Am I right in saying that Joey never played in any rep teams as a kid? If so, you never know when a future gem is sitting right under your nose :)

Who knows, Josh Ailaomai could turn into the next Fui, or say Redman or Marlborough your next Buderus...anything could happen!

Joey came to the knights in 1989 I believe. I have a feeling the amount of talent scouts in rugby league have improved remarkably since then.

Apey

Staff member
I guess I haven't been hit by the Captain Emo bug that seems to be rife around this place ...

in other words, you are deluded?

Our forward pack sucked this year. At this stage, it's looking to be the same or possibly even worse.

Serc

First Grade
Serc it's looking like we may need to organize that mass suicide pact for this year :(

Stadium opening game for best impact....lol

:lol:

I thought you'd just bought yourself a new season ticket for next year...is that going to become an honourary donation to the club?

And I am eyeing off that round 4 date for a visit to EAS...will see how things go but I definitely won't forget my razor!

Jobdog

Live Update Team
:lol:

I thought you'd just bought yourself a new season ticket for next year...is that going to become an honourary donation to the club?

And I am eyeing off that round 4 date for a visit to EAS...will see how things go but I definitely won't forget my razor!
:lol: The razor part is probably the most important judging by everyone else's ideas of how badly we're going to go. All I hope is that the players don't have the same sort of idea. I don't know, maybe I've got my head stuck firmly in the sand, but it's the off-season, I'm allowed to talk up my own teams chances :fist:

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I think everyone's forgetting that we only finished four points outside of the top eight and considering it was, what, about four or five matches we lost by eight points or less, I don't think you can blame our so-called "soft" forward pack for those losses. Sure, we're not really a premiership threat at the moment, but with a bit more luck on the injury front (which I think we're overdue for), a top eight spot certainly isn't out of the equation.

I think everyone's forgetting that we only finished four points outside of the top eight and considering it was, what, about four or five matches we lost by eight points or less, I don't think you can blame our so-called "soft" forward pack for those losses. Sure, we're not really a premiership threat at the moment, but with a bit more luck on the injury front (which I think we're overdue for), a top eight spot certainly isn't out of the equation.
Problem is JD we get the same results every year. There is no improvement. That is everyone's point here. As a squad we play at the same level most weeks which is without any upping the intensity until the game is out of reach. I think our players are too comfortable with the coaching setup. Your coach cannot be your friend and expect success as well. He is the boss. End of story. Brian Smith was exactly that. A mentor and not a life coach. Bennett is the only bloke who seems to know how to balance it perfectly. The lads who play for him can go to him if they need to but he will not give them any added sympathy as a player when it comes to game day. He picks the best performed squad regardless of circumstance.