What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our weakness

Twenty10

Juniors
As good as the signings of Hunt and Graham are, it’s obvious we have a lot of issues in the outside backs. Looking across the nrl next year most teams will Be stronger, and most have some backs that can cause damage. We don’t. Our centres and wingers are a massive weakness. All well and good having great halves, but who will run off them?!! We need a strike centre and a fast winger. It’s so clear to all of us. Why ain’t it clear to the club. I also think we ar struggling at dummy half. Anyway... let’s see if there are any signings to come.

Bench
Of course Mary is the week link. But have to agree with twenty10 we sadly lack speed in the wings and centerd. I like Atkins and Lafai would benefit from a decent coach.
Nene has not shown much to make that spot his own. Nighty is a class player and should be looking at stepping aside now in favour of one of your Juniors.
People who say wingers don't win games should take a look at the storms wingers, each got 20 plus tries.
Lafaii and Aitkins would benefit from a desent coach. They both have the potential but they both should be on the radar and if they don't perform should be replaced.
Hunt and Graham are great buys for us but I'm worried that Mary does not have the game plans to exploit these players. The Power gsme, allbeit a good tool eventually fails due to the pressure of week after week games

TruSaint

Referee
Mann must be in our 13 IMHO.

Be it FB, centre of wing. He is one of the few strike players we have who also possesses ball skills and great reads in defence. Aitken, even though i rate the kid, is built and plays like a second rower. Nene has one year to prove his worth as he was very poor in 2017. Flo has one year left and whilst slow, can finish of a try, tackle his heart out and make runs from d/half. Lafai was better this year, and showed he is a skilful centre. Im really pleased with Dufty but am not YET sold on his defence / reads at the back..

We are 1-2 players away from being a real threat.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
No wraps on McInnes or a back up to share the workload??

No, I'm not a fan of McIness and your mention of a "back up" only highlights a further weakness. That is, Saints don't have one with first grade experience, and even if it did, the coach has already demonstrated a recurring ineptitude of not using bench rotations effectively.

Life's Good

Coach
No, I'm not a fan of McIness and your mention of a "back up" only highlights a further weakness. That is, Saints don't have one with first grade experience, and even if it did, the coach has already demonstrated a recurring ineptitude of not using bench rotations effectively.
Totally agree about poor bench rotation not helping our cause.
I have hope for McInnes but he must come out of the gate pretty hard or the pressure will be on.
Let’s see what happens.

TruSaint

Referee
Totally agree about poor bench rotation not helping our cause.
I have hope for McInnes but he must come out of the gate pretty hard or the pressure will be on.
Let’s see what happens.

Agree with the rotation , or lack there of.

With Cam Mc, I am confident that this kid can play. Making 50 tackles a game takes it out of you, and he was given no " off time". That is management.

He was the top tackler in the NRL...

he has shown the ability to run the ball in rare cases, but it appears to me to be a directive of the coaching staff to have him as a tackling machine and ball distributor from D/H.

That must change. On the rare occasions he did surprise the defence and ran from H/H, he was impressive.

he is not our problem... Game plan is.

Life's Good

Coach
Agree with the rotation , or lack there of.

With Cam Mc, I am confident that this kid can play. Making 50 tackles a game takes it out of you, and he was given no " off time". That is management.

He was the top tackler in the NRL...

he has shown the ability to run the ball in rare cases, but it appears to me to be a directive of the coaching staff to have him as a tackling machine and ball distributor from D/H.

That must change. On the rare occasions he did surprise the defence and ran from H/H, he was impressive.

he is not our problem... Game plan is.
Work rate & attitude are really good. I agree that he was hamstrung by game plans that were all about passing & not using his running/kicking Game. I tend to think with Hunt arriving McInnes will thrive. I base that on the combination Hunt formed with McCullough which worked well at the Broncos.
Gut feel only but hoping it plays out like that.

TruSaint

Referee
Work rate & attitude are really good. I agree that he was hamstrung by game plans that were all about passing & not using his running/kicking Game. I tend to think with Hunt arriving McInnes will thrive. I base that on the combination Hunt formed with McCullough which worked well at the Broncos.
Gut feel only but hoping it plays out like that.

You may be right.
Cam needs a chance to be more than just a 50 plus tackler per game as that will nullify any attacking option he has.

I agree with you with Hunts arrival, and as much as I want to give Mary the benefit of the doubt re game plan, i have been let down time and time again. I hope he has learnt or will be guided.

Use the bench wisely, and utilise the skill set of our key players. Cam Mc offers more than just a tackling manual.

Old Timer

Coach
Our weakness' have been many and for many years.
  1. Half back - Now finally resolved with Hunt.
  2. Service from dummy half - Now resolved as McInnes is very good in that aspect and a huge upgrade on Rein.
  3. Barn storming prop - Now resolved with Vaughan.
  4. Ball playing FB - Likely resolved with Dufty.
  5. Lack of speed out wide that can score long range tries - yet to be resolved.
  6. Running from DH - Yet to be included in game plan.
  7. Proper utilisation of bench - Yet to be included in game plan.
  8. Proper utilisation and blooding juniors - Yet to be included in game plan.
  9. Game plan - Yet to be included in game plan.
So 2 quick wingers and a competent coach will just about see us on our way to a top 4 position and really contending for several years.
The trouble is if we get the 2 wingers and don't address the other problem will we have yet another false dawn and finish 10th - 8th.
Get a good coach and don't get the wingers we will finish 8th - 6th but never really contend.
The 9 jersey is not the issue now and under a good coach Mc Inness will flourish but under this coach like so many others we will never see the best of him.

Life's Good

Coach
You may be right.
Cam needs a chance to be more than just a 50 plus tackler per game as that will nullify any attacking option he has.

I agree with you with Hunts arrival, and as much as I want to give Mary the benefit of the doubt re game plan, i have been let down time and time again. I hope he has learnt or will be guided.

Use the bench wisely, and utilise the skill set of our key players. Cam Mc offers more than just a tackling manual.
What I am getting at with Hunts arrival is that Hunts strength is his running game. To make that happen you need a D/H to get the roll going by running as well which is what worked well with McCullough.
I think Hunt is enough of a quality player to dictate that on field therefore taking SuperCoach out of the equation(so to speak). It’s then up to McInnes to lift & deliver. I guess I have taken the long way of saying I expect Hunt to drag our attack into a more modern, creative style by improving those around him.

TruSaint

Referee
You too....boring

Our year, i have stuck by Mary for his entire tenure, giving him the benefit of the doubt. Even as an apologist, he is indeed complicit in our poor performances the last few years. Blind Freddy could see that with the talent at hand, he has mismanaged game plans, positional placements, selections, bench rotation and so forth. he cant be given a free pass any more.

ouryear

Juniors
Our year, i have stuck by Mary for his entire tenure, giving him the benefit of the doubt. Even as an apologist, he is indeed complicit in our poor performances the last few years. Blind Freddy could see that with the talent at hand, he has mismanaged game plans, positional placements, selections, bench rotation and so forth. he cant be given a free pass any more.

Well I did put him in my top 5.

He is ONE of the reasons, but if you are the BIG BOSS, as in our CEO and Board, And firstly you hired him, then you kept him in the job, then you are at more fault. (Aren't you?!)

Mary is THEIR invention.

Widdop as our captain is the boards fault too.....they hired the guy who put him there!

Just on a side note....Widdops haircut on the footy tonight, sort of says it all.