What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Leagues Club board sacked, administrator appointed

Gronk

Staff member
The NSW prosecution service has been ordered to pay the legal costs of former Parramatta Eels chief executive Scott Seward after the DPP unsuccessfully appealed his sentence.

Scott Seward, 42, pleaded guilty in May 2017 to dishonestly obtaining financial advantage by deception. He also admitted to publishing false and misleading material to obtain advantage over his role in the NRL club's salary cap scandal.

The Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions appealed after Seward was handed a two-year good behaviour bond, but that appeal was dismissed in late last year.

The DPP on Friday in the Parramatta District Court was ordered to pay Seward's related legal costs of $58,000.

Speaking outside court on Friday, his solicitor John Sutton said "it is justice for my client... but the appeal should never have been brought (about)".

"He has been through a large amount of trauma, given he is the person who brought this matter to the authorities."

Mr Sutton said his client was "elated the appeal was dismissed and is very happy costs have been awarded".

When sentencing Seward last July, Deputy Chief Magistrate Christopher O'Brien acknowledged he did not implement the scheme to make off-the-books payments to players and managers.

"The offender was, as the CEO of Parramatta Eels, completely out of his depth and plainly unsupported by his board of directors. He is entitled to feel significantly let down by his board of directors."

Seward was chief executive of the Eels between September 2013 and June 2015, during which time the club was accused of systematically rorting the NRL salary cap through secret third-party payments.

http://www.armidaleexpress.com.au/story/5260831/former-eels-boss-awarded-58000-costs/

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
those Armidale people have their finger on the pulse
r0_0_2288_1520_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Gronk

Staff member
Stephen Kearney admits Parramatta’s boardroom brawls were too much to handle

STEPHEN Kearney thought he was ready.

A decorated playing career that saw him captain New Zealand at just 21 years of age and spend 14 seasons playing at the highest level was followed by a coaching apprenticeship at the Melbourne Storm and a 2008 World Cup win as coach of the Kiwis.

But nothing could prepare him for the political machinations that made the Parramatta Eels a basket base for the best part of three decades.

The boardroom brawls that contributed to a culture that chewed up and spat out four coaches in the space of six years prior to Kearney’s appointment in 2011 continued during his tenure, a two-year stint that yielded just 10 wins from 42 games at the helm.

Having begun the second year of his stint as head coach of the Warriors with a win last Saturday, Kearney’s challenge is to bring a level of consistency to a club that has been dysfunctional on the field.

In an extensive interview with NRL.com, Kearney has opened up about his time at the Eels and how it shaped the coach he is today.

“I freely admit that I wasn’t ready for that job at that particular time,” Kearney said of the Eels role.

“It was a pretty challenging environment. I thought I had experience in having been at Melbourne.

“The reality was I’d been part of an organisation that you just needed to squirt some oil on the wheels every now and then. It ran pretty smoothly with some pretty handy operators there.

“The complexities of Parramatta and everything that went on there, and I’m talking everything, was probably too much for me to handle

“I just knew I wasn’t ready for that particular job.

“It taught me a lot about myself and it taught me a lot about other people around you.”

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/r...to-handle-ng-0c6db4f6708727ed964048e5b7779657

Gazzamatta

Coach
Had to deal with Spags. Didnt stand a chance but couldnt coach either.
I guess he has to grab some headlines after last weeks win and before The Worriers turn to poo again. No pun intended.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Yeah, when I think Kearney I think "media tart". upload_2018-3-17_11-50-46.gif

Poor old Gazza has forgotten why he doesn't like Kearney he just remembers that he doesn't like him.

Gronk

Staff member
A much as I don’t rate big face as a coavh, clearly it was a toxic environment. Ricky bailed as well.

Chipmunk

Coach
Kearney should've been thankful that Parra had the boardroom machinations at the time. It was the only reason he ever got the job.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Daniel Anderson for one. Jason Taylor for two.
Both linked to a string of poor relationships with players, making them unsuitable as head coaches. Once a coach has a poor reputation with players he struggles to recruit. I assume Kearney only managed to keep his intact due to his work with the Kiwi team.

Gronk

Staff member
Manly fined, former CEO suspended over salary cap breaches
Send via Email

Manly has been slapped with a $750,000 fine and club legend Bob Fulton faces a ban from the game after the NRL handed down its salary cap punishment on Monday.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg informed the Sea Eagles on Monday morning of the heavy sanctions after a nine-month investigation into alleged third party rorts.

The Sea Eagles won't lose any competition points.

Manly Sea Eagles must pay a $750,000 fine and their former CEO has been suspended for 12 months, after an investigation into alleged third-party rorts.

Former Manly boss Joe Kelly, who is now chief executive at the Roosters, faces 12 months out of the game over his involvement in third party breaches, while the club's then chief operating officer, Neil Bare, also won't be able to return to the game until January 1 next year.

Both will need to undergo appropriate governance training.

The NRL found Manly's third party breaches totalled $1.5 million over a five-year period after sifting through 800,000 documents, emails and text messages as well as other data from the phones and computers of club officials.

The club have been handed a $660,000 restriction on their salary cap for 2018 and 2019.

Attempts to sign a replacement for Warriors five-eighth Blake Green - including Matt Moylan, Mitchell Pearce and Trent Hodkinson - were foiled despite having space left under their 2018 cap to go into the market.

A multi-year extension of hooker Api Koroisau is still yet to be rubber stamped.

The Sea Eagles have handed rookie Lachlan Croker the task of replacing Green in the halves, which has had mixed results as a 54-point round two hammering of bitter rivals Parramatta was sandwiched between losses to Newcastle and South Sydney in the opening three weeks.

More to come

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ma...over-salary-cap-breaches-20180326-p4z68v.html

Latest posts