What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Leagues Club board sacked, administrator appointed

Gronk

Staff member
Manly Sea Eagles fined $750,000 over salary cap rorts
Phil Rothfield, The Daily Telegraph
29 minutes ago

THE Manly Sea Eagles have been fined $750,000 and former general manager Bob Fulton is facing a ban from being an Australian selector for salary cap rorting over the last five years.

The NRL found the Sea Eagles had made payments if $1.5 million outside cap rules after a nine-month investigation of phone and computer records.

In other punishments handed down by NRL CEO Todd Greenberg:

• The Manly Sea Eagles will have to play $330,000 under the cap for 2018 and 2019

• Sea Eagles coach Trent Barrett will get an official warning

• Bob Fulton will not be allowed to continue as a Kangaroos selector

• Roosters CEO Joe Kelly, the former Manly boss, has been suspended for nine months

• Manly Sea Eagles chief operating officer Neil Bare has been suspended for 12 months

• Manly has been fined $750,000, with $250,000 suspended if the club undertakes appropriate governance changes to ensure there is no repeat of the breaches

BLOG WITH BUZZ! Chat with Phil Rothfield after 1pm on the Sea Eagles salary cap punishment and all things NRL. Ask your questions below.

def6d3ad084ec2b8f5caa2bdf9e6181e

Joe Kelly, Todd Greenberg and Bob Fulton.
The NRL said the Sea Eagles had been fined $750,000 for breaches spanning the last five years.

Greenberg said an investigation by the NRL’s integrity unit had uncovered evidence of deliberate breaches of the cap.

“The investigation found a number of cases where players were offered undisclosed benefits outside the salary cap to attract them to the club,” Greenberg said.

“These benefits were in the form of third party agreements which were never declared to the salary cap auditor.

“In other words, Manly had a financial advantage in securing the services of players who may otherwise have gone to other clubs.

“Our salary cap is the main reason we have the closest competition in Australian sport and we will not tolerate any attempt to breach it.

“Every club needs to be aware that any attempt to cheat the salary cap will eventually be detected and the club involved will be heavily sanctioned.”

BLOG WITH BUZZ! Chat with Phil Rothfield after 1pm on the Sea Eagles salary cap punishment and all things NRL. Ask your questions below.

e4893927611ac37ffe81bf78552c9fd6

Former Manly CEO Joe Kelly has been banned for nine months. Picture: Gary Ramage
Manly invited the NRL to conduct a salary cap review in July 2017.

The ensuing investigation reviewed more than 800,000 documents, emails and text messages and other data from the phones and computers of club officials.

In addition, numerous current and former officials and players were interviewed.

There were no findings of wrong-doing by the providers of third party agreements to Manly players. Instead the club breached its obligations under the NRL rules in relation to those agreements.

Fulton quit his role as general manager of the Sea Eagles one month into the investigation.

He was not interviewed by the integrity unit.

As he is not a registered official, the NRL was powerless to hand down a penalty.

But Greenberg made it clear he would not be considered as an Australian selector.

Evidence was uncovered from his phone of his involvement in most contract negotiations.

af9759c403e5f78497522f6dac8b3f42

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg.
Greenberg said the club was currently cap compliant and no competition points would be deducted.

“We have to ensure the penalties for cheating the cap remain a deterrent,” he said.

“We have had such a successful start to the 2018 season that every fan from every club can reasonably expect their team to play in the finals.

“So we make no apology for taking a hard stance against breaches of the cap — it is something we will continue to be vigilant in protecting.”

Manly and each club official has the right to appeal the matter to the NRL Appeals Committee.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/3d4071ad5c40244cf326f1162ac11966

Gazzamatta

Coach
I wonder what Fultons Bestie Raaaaaay Horse Head Hadley will have to say. Id listen but it would cause me to smash my radio so I remain clueless.
Additionally.
If this Joe bloke has form and hes now at The Chooks, shouldnt the Roosters records be scrutinized as well?

Dibs

Bench
I wonder what Fultons Bestie Raaaaaay Horse Head Hadley will have to say. Id listen but it would cause me to smash my radio so I remain clueless.
Additionally.
If this Joe bloke has form and hes now at The Chooks, shouldnt the Roosters records be scrutinized as well?
Ask Delboy, he will know

PARRA_FAN

Coach
So no-one has really learned from 2010 and us in 2016.

Well the media went really hard on us and thought we got off lightly. I wonder what their reaction is to this one.

strider

Post Whore
I had been thinking this situation was about past things prior to barrett ... but if he is getting a warning, then obviously its not as old as i thought .... so yeah 330k over 2 seasons is pretty light

We shed almost a million cap to play for points for half a season

Gronk

Staff member
I had been thinking this situation was about past things prior to barrett ... but if he is getting a warning, then obviously its not as old as i thought .... so yeah 330k over 2 seasons is pretty light

We shed almost a million cap to play for points for half a season

It was also that Todd vaguely declared that our TPAs were duds so that meant we had to get under. I think that our position was that we hadn't actually spent our cap.

IIRC Manly are 2018 compliant.

Nothing about Bozo Todd ?

Don't forget that we got caught twice guys.

The first time did not result in a points penalty either (though we had a suspended penalty conditional on governance reforms).

We then told absolute porkies after being warned and video taped our duplicity.

They could take historic points off Manly, but it wouldn't do them any harm at all. Taking cap $$ off for a couple of years actually imposes far more of a penalty than we copped on first round of charges.

Gronk

Staff member

The first time did not result in a points penalty either (though we had a suspended penalty conditional on governance reforms).

They could take historic points off Manly, but it wouldn't do them any harm at all. Taking cap $$ off for a couple of years actually imposes far more of a penalty than we copped on first round of charges.

The first time was about our second tier cap right ?

Eel2reel

Juniors
Very lucky timing, with every sport journo frothing over the cricket scandal, outrage on Manly will be very limited.

strider

Post Whore

ffs barry - no one videoed it

fmd

it was audio