What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta's Harold Matthews Final Series

magpie4ever

First Grade
Just thought I would put out some positive news to the poor suffering Eels supporters::lol:

Parramatta Harold Matts side finished 4th after the preliminary rounds ( 6 wins, 1 draw, 1 lost and 1 bye). They will play minor premiers Souths in a qualifying semi at Redfern Oval this Saturday at 1.30pm.

The winner proceeds to week 3 of the finals, the loser will play the winner of the elimination semi between Wests (6) v Saints (7) (or Newcastle (5) v Canterbury (8)) in week 2 - depending on how the semis are structured.

They are a fairly talented unit and have real chance at the title.

Parramatta SB ball finished 9th.

Regards,

Stagger eel

Staff member
thanks magpie4ever...

well done and good luck to our HM Boys...

Mark, we're currently fielding 5 of our top players from SG Ball in the NYC side I think we were always going to struggle in this comp.

IN THE KNOW

Juniors
So have a lot of other clubs , having there good 18s playing at nyc level, its been a worry 2010 grand finalist , 2011 semi finalist ---2012----9th hmmmm

thanks magpie4ever...

well done and good luck to our HM Boys...

Mark, we're currently fielding 5 of our top players from SG Ball in the NYC side I think we were always going to struggle in this comp.

Yes mate, I know that, but again big picture is something I think everyone should be looking at.

No amount o winning the junior compa has helped us in the last 30 years to win the NRL GF. I'm up for a new strategy.

born an eel

Bench
yes, and the big picture should be preparing our kids for the bigger stage rather than winning an SG Ball comp.
I wonder if the kids will feel this way, I think they may get attracted to other clubs who appear to be successful.

Having a squad who are winning together also encourages them to stay together. Doesn't matter what people say about just playing for the love of it, winning is fun and losing sucks.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I wonder if the kids will feel this way, I think they may get attracted to other clubs who appear to be successful.

Having a squad who are winning together also encourages them to stay together. Doesn't matter what people say about just playing for the love of it, winning is fun and losing sucks.

mate, the kids who wouldn't get a game if it wasn't for the 5 or 6 playing up a grade would love it, in turn the kids who are playing up a grade are absolutely thrilled at the thought of player NYC, I've actually met a few of those kids and got to know them through work and they never wanna play SG Ball again...blokes like Fraser and Kalepi will be training with the fulltime squad soon and will over the off season, that experiance should be invaluble..

magpie4ever

First Grade
No amount o winning the junior compa has helped us in the last 30 years to win the NRL GF. I'm up for a new strategy.

Doubt a brillant new strategy would be to: not to win the junior rep competitions on purpose. :)

In my opinion your SG ball team failed to make the 8 due to the wrong players being selected in the squad overall and the continual rotation of the team taking the field on a weekly basis. This showed in the lose to Cenntral Coast (only 2 wins in 9 games) and other close losses and wins which cost them a spot in the semis.

Regards,

Casper The Ghost

First Grade

Well that means you have to give up everything you believe in and pushed for up to now.
I've got some freetime coming up shortly which I can allocate to a chat about a new direction with you.
Casper At Your Service :lol:

born an eel

Bench
magpie, you have a son in the squad don't you?

How was the team moral? Are they keen to back up with us next year?

yes, and the big picture should be preparing our kids for the bigger stage rather than winning an SG Ball comp.

Really? Because either way this is age limit football, and playing them against bigger guys is just playing them against bigger guys. It isn’t playing them against men; it is just playing them up an age bracket.

We have been playing SG Ball in the NYC for almost 3 years now, and obviously it is not working for either group or the players involved now is it?
We seem to be rushing these kids through like it is the answer to all that ails us, but in reality it might be exactly what ails us.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Really? Because either way this is age limit football, and playing them against bigger guys is just playing them against bigger guys. It isn’t playing them against men; it is just playing them up an age bracket..

well it worked for the Broncos didn't it??

We have been playing SG Ball in the NYC for almost 3 years now, and obviously it is not working for either group or the players involved now is it?
We seem to be rushing these kids through like it is the answer to all that ails us, but in reality it might be exactly what ails us.

as far as I'm aware we've been filtering Ball players in the NYC comp once their comp concluded not at the start of the year and even so, we've not given those kids an opportunity to train along side the fulltime squad as they're doing now...I don't be;ieve we've had as many underage kids playing at the start of the year as there have been in previous years.

mate, I'm sure there's plenty we're doing wrong at the moment, but this is one thing I think we'll benefit from in the next 12-18 months..

magpie4ever

First Grade
magpie, you have a son in the squad don't you?

How was the team moral? Are they keen to back up with us next year?

My bloke is in the Harold Matts and I am not criticising any individual players but in some games they (SG ball) would look like worldbeaters, then the following week with say 6 plus changes they would drop a game you would believe they should have won with ease.

Stagger eel

Staff member
My bloke is in the Harold Matts and I am not criticising any individual players but in some games they (SG ball) would look like worldbeaters, then the following week with say 6 plus changes they would drop a game you would believe they should have won with ease.

so what you're saying is they rotated the 17 within the squad (minus the NYC kids still eligible for Ball)....strange, but I could see where they were coming from..

magpie4ever

First Grade
so what you're saying is they rotated the 17 within the squad (minus the NYC kids still eligible for Ball)....strange, but I could see where they were coming from..

Not 17 but about 25 or 26 players. To be honest I believe any young bloke eligible to play ball should start there and after it finishes, if the selectors believe they are suitable move them up to NYC, even if team goes all the way in Ball and wins it then the national title they could still join the NYC in mid May. Remember these blokes are 17 or 18 and would love to win a prestige comp like Ball with their mates and peers. They have another 2 years for NYC.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

well it worked for the Broncos didn't it??

Seriously the Broncos, The Broncos have an entire city to choose from and 5 or so clubs. Even then the Broncos Players all come up through their respective 16's and 18's (Maninga and Cyril Connell I think) competitions at their respective clubs before becoming part of the Broncos program.

as far as I'm aware we've been filtering Ball players in the NYC comp once their comp concluded not at the start of the year.

Pat O’Hanlon was moved after 4 games at S G ball, when he could have stayed there for the entire season. One of a few.

and even so, we've not given those kids an opportunity to train along side the fulltime squad as they're doing now

You and I both know the High Performance unit under Matt Cameron had NYC players training with the Top Squad on a permanent basis. The junior sides get to train and play against the NRL and Wenty sides a few times in their program as well as having SG ball guys train with NYC, during the SG Ball season, however the same SG Ball side ran out each week in 2010.

...I don't be;ieve we've had as many underage kids playing at the start of the year as there have been in previous years.

No we haven’t and that is a concern. We are throwing kids who can be in the 20's for 3 years in to the 20's. We did that for other players as I have highlighted and it hasn't worked.

The Current 20's main group at the 2010 SG Ball side, a side I watched quite a great deal in 2010. Where any of them moved up in 2011? One or two, most were developing in A Grade and have appeared as the majority of this year’s NYC side including Fraser and Kelepi.

mate, I'm sure there's plenty we're doing wrong at the moment, but this is one thing I think we'll benefit from in the next 12-18 months..

I do not have your faith. I am hopeful this year’s NYC will be Mid table and start to do well next year when they still qualify for NYC, unless we think the next crop are going to be better again when we will cast them aside for the new a shiny.

Latest posts