What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pet hates in gyms

Pantherjim.

Referee
Fans.

We have these big arse fans in the gym that are noisy as f*ck and can blow a strong gale. They don't get used to often but every now and then there's one person who has to turn the weights floor into a cyclone. FFS you're there to work up a sweat.

You mean these arseholes?

I couldn't agree more.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Pantherjim.

Referee
21:15 Suburban gym: Rouse Hill

20kg foot buster left by some dickhead in awkward position.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 19

Iafeta

Referee
There's one dude that quite frankly infuriates me. He's a muscle bound freak, good on him I say on that. Like seriously, he's done well. But anytime there's a new chick to the gym, who is semi decent, he's all over them showing them how to use certain equipment - the poor broads are really nervous about the whole thing, and he's totally cracking onto them. He tries to completely show off over them. Some of them are quite taken by it, but I feel for them, because he does it religiously over and over trying to pick up and they know no different about him. Then the footy players (NRL reserve grade team) will come in, and he back slaps them, shakes their hands excessively, like he's in the presence of future immortals. And then for the next 15-20 minutes he goes to blokes who are working pretty hard, and just wants to talk about the footy players and completely interrupts them. He is then constantly looking back at the wall mirrors and flexing, and looking at himself, especially in front of the same ladies.

In all the time I've been going there, I've barely ever seen him lift a heavy weight. I honestly don't know how he got into the shape he's in, or how he maintains him. Must have awesome genetics.

Other than that, I'm really enjoying my time at the gym. Headphones in, minding my own business, and doing my best. I'm nothing special body wise, but I love the challenge.

Pantherjim.

Referee
22/04/16, 17:30pm, Suburban gym, Jordan Springs: one f*cking bike available as the other is out of order. Some dickhead has been on it for 45 + mins now.

So much for the "No > 20 mins on cardio equipment during peak times" rule!

Wizardman

First Grade
22/04/16, 17:30pm, Suburban gym, Jordan Springs: one f*cking bike available as the other is out of order. Some dickhead has been on it for 45 + mins now.

So much for the "No > 20 mins on cardio equipment during peak times" rule!

22/04/16, 17:40pm, Suburban gym, Jordan Springs: Some clown is giving me angry looks while Im on the bike. I better stay on the bike so he doesn't approach me!!!

Rhyno

First Grade
I was lifting weights shirtless and this chick was annoying me wanting to lick my abs

Barkley

Bench
My pet hate is people reading while walking in the treadmill...WTF is the point? Put the book down and work up a sweat.

TeamSatan

Juniors
Fans.

We have these big arse fans in the gym that are noisy as f*ck and can blow a strong gale. They don't get used to often but every now and then there's one person who has to turn the weights floor into a cyclone. FFS you're there to work up a sweat.

Hell Yeah.

Last Friday arvo ... Usually quiet just me the old bastard and a couple of footy players or a fighter or two.

In walks this old maggot, fat bald and dirty. Never seen him before.
I just started workout.
He is on the phone.
I finish 3 sets with ab work thrown in for rest period.
He gets off the phone. He walks over to the bicep curl bench puts on 10 kg.
Then he goes and turns on the freaking fan... Its not even hot !!!
He then does one set of curls.. Then walks to the other side of the gym and gets on phone again.
Gets off phone and does big lats walk around gym.
30 minutes gone he does second set.
Goes and checks phone.
Does 2 laps of super pumped lats walking around gym.
Fan stops.
Walks back to turn on fan and I say no.
Walks to other end of gym and turns on fan there.
45 minutes does third set of curls.
Checks phone again.
Walks lats out around gym a couple of times.
Talks to young dude for a couple of minutes.
Checks phone again.
1hour 5 minutes does set of tri pulldowns.
I have finished all with the hatred of the cyclone fan blowing for an hour.
As I leave he turns on other fan...

Never seen anything as pathetic in a gym before.

Pantherjim.

Referee
06/05/16: Suburban gym Rouse Hill:

Dickie Knee is using the leg extension while his mate goes off to chat to another meat head about roids

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 20

Misanthrope

Staff member
Ginger merkin came in the other night.

In between his awful form and his leaping from station to station with no rhyme or reason, he was constantly getting in the way when others were trying to do bar or dumbell work. There was room to go around, but he'd just move blindly into where you were doing curls/flies and scowl at you for being in his way.

Utter shitmerkin.

Iafeta

Referee
lol dicky knee.

Is it fair to say common courtesy and customer service goes out the door at a gym? I mean, you walk into a retail shop and either they're more than happy to talk to you, or they actively try to engage with you to help you find what you need. You walk into a gym, and the trainers on deck are usually hanging around the same 3-4 roid heads. No hello, no hey mate how you doing, no so mate what are your goals is there any advice I can give you? At my gym they have a large screen TV at the entrance which rotates between different trainers, what their favourite exercise is, and their philosophy. And most of them "I love to help people", "Let me help you", for people who reckon their motivation is to help people they do nothing to go out of their way to help anyone but their mates. Its not so much a pet hate, but an observation, and I reckon a gym that uses a good CRM system, coaches their trainers to engage better, it can really help to separate from the also rans, because 60% of people who are there aren't in bodybuilding comps, I'd speculate 30-40% of them are in their first 1-2 years of training, there's a good deal of them confused by all the literature, some are probably disillusioned with their results simply because they're not tight enough on the strategy they're adopting.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Went in stupidly early in the morning on friday. Gym is a massive complex with badminton and basketball courts and a pool and gym is spread over 2 stories yet with only 4 people there that early one had to be within 2m if me the entire time and constantly had to move around. This included ignoring the big matted area that he took the kettlebell from and take it to a spot in the free weights area just close enough to make me shift the flat bench I was using over a few inches

Iafeta

Referee
Twice! Twice!

I was on the squat machine (my backs a bit shot at the moment so I'm avoiding free squats and dead lifts for a week or two), I'm on about my third set, there's a guy next to me on a chest press. He comes and takes a 20kg plate, while I'm in between sets. I mean WTF. Then I'm on the leg press, there's a bench press set next to me, big bozo comes over and steals a 20kg plate in between sets. WTF?! Never had that happen at all, twice in one night?! What gives!

Pantherjim.

Referee
lol dicky knee.

Is it fair to say common courtesy and customer service goes out the door at a gym? I mean, you walk into a retail shop and either they're more than happy to talk to you, or they actively try to engage with you to help you find what you need. You walk into a gym, and the trainers on deck are usually hanging around the same 3-4 roid heads. No hello, no hey mate how you doing, no so mate what are your goals is there any advice I can give you? At my gym they have a large screen TV at the entrance which rotates between different trainers, what their favourite exercise is, and their philosophy. And most of them "I love to help people", "Let me help you", for people who reckon their motivation is to help people they do nothing to go out of their way to help anyone but their mates. Its not so much a pet hate, but an observation, and I reckon a gym that uses a good CRM system, coaches their trainers to engage better, it can really help to separate from the also rans, because 60% of people who are there aren't in bodybuilding comps, I'd speculate 30-40% of them are in their first 1-2 years of training, there's a good deal of them confused by all the literature, some are probably disillusioned with their results simply because they're not tight enough on the strategy they're adopting.

I hear ya.

Not sure how it rolls with the independent gyms, but with the brand name gyms like fit n' fast, Jetts, anytime fitness, and fitness first etc, the trainers aren't interested in giving you any advice to improve your technique and ultimately your fitness goals unless there's something in it for them, I.e. Money.

Not sure if bullshit or not, but I know a trainer at anytime fitness who claims that he is essentially a contractor. I.e. Anytime fitness does not pay him anything. He makes his money purely from gym members signing up for personal training packages, nothing else. If this is accurate, I can kinda see things from their perspective. I.e. They're not going to waste their time giving someone advice for nothing when the gym is paying them f*ck all and they have to concentrate on meeting gym members for fitness assessments in order to try to entice them to buy training packages to make a living.

I agree that It's a completely different kettle of fish though when the gym is paying them to be there. In those circumstances, am not sure why they can't be more friendly or give a member who isn't necessarily paying for training packages, quick advice on their techniques or methods for achieving their goals quickly.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
personal space man has been on fire the last week. Best one was taking a skipping rope from a corner that has plenty of space and a mirror and a clock to watch which is ideal for skipping to in front of the smith machine that has probably an inch clearance between that machine and the next row of machines while someone was using it for bench press. This idiot could be doing a leg circuit and still manage to get in someones way nearly every set of someone else who is doing a arm session.

Clifferd

Coach
People who do giant sets on legitimately 5 machines at once. Other day I got in there he was using the power rack, I said fair enough I'll warm up on the chest press. He comes up to me and says sorry mate just a couple sets on this aswell

So I continued over to the bike and continued to watch him for about another 20 mins use up 5 machines one after the other. Fairly packed joint at this point too. Good for him that he's doing an intense gym session but you gotta have courtesy and think of others might wanting to use the machines there aswell. For example only use 2 at a time. This dude had a towel for each machine also