What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Gould - NRL needs to consider setting minimum and maximum salary cap for clubs

Billythekid

First Grade
lol the salary cap doesn't even work,the Storm are headed for like there 6th minor premiership in the past decade this season.

How is it a level playing field if the same team keeps coming first and the same donkeys like the Eels keep missing the 8 every year? lol

Nobody cares who wins the minor premiership. We've had a lot of variety in recent years in who wins the actual premiership. We've also seen heaps of teams drag themselves off the bottom of the ladder.

The salary cap can only do so much. If a club is run by monkeys it's going to go shit no matter what.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What happened to the football dept cap? If I was nrl I'd let the clubs work out what that would be and come to an agreement but not more than the extra grant that is available ie $3million. If a club can't run everything non football related with income from memberships, fans and corporates then tough.

M2D2

Bench
Clubs can only have max two players selected for SOO. That's 32 players. The 2 captains are exempt from this classification so at most a single club could give to SOO is 4 players. That way talent would have to move not only for $$$ but rep selection and clubs not wholesale affected by SOO. If nrl expands to 18 teams, then it becomes an 18 man squad for SOO with 2 per club max.
Youve posted some stupid shit recently. But this takes the cake.
Kudos!

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Couple simple things:

The NRL centrally pays 32 players , 2 per club, generous marquee allowances and uses them for all ads, promos etc. Club nominates said players. If a marquee f**ks up they are ineligible for SOO or rep selection and clubs slugged $1m out of the following seasons funding or lose one of their marquee allowances.

Clubs can only have max two players selected for SOO. That's 32 players. The 2 captains are exempt from this classification so at most a single club could give to SOO is 4 players. That way talent would have to move not only for $$$ but rep selection and clubs not wholesale affected by SOO. If nrl expands to 18 teams, then it becomes an 18 man squad for SOO with 2 per club max.

Holy shit.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
When Bee Sting comes out with this, you can 100% bet your bottom dollar he has a vested interest.

Stupid argument, as has been explained earlier - no club has to spend up to the cap at all.

Next.

SadShark

Bench
When Bee Sting comes out with this, you can 100% bet your bottom dollar he has a vested interest.

Stupid argument, as has been explained earlier - no club has to spend up to the cap at all.

Next.
Didn't hear him squealing when he was standing under Uncle Nicks umbrella.

OldPanther

Coach
Sure Gus.

Well you don't give any conversation as to why. You just come out calling their idea geniused. Also Gus is one of the best football minds out there and probably loaded with $$$$ so I'll take the compliment.

Front-Rower

First Grade
I don't really know much about contracts though I think an ARLC central contract system for selected Rep players (two tiers i.e. SOO and international) could possibly solve a lot of money issues at club level.

M2D2

Bench
Well you don't give any conversation as to why. You just come out calling their idea geniused. Also Gus is one of the best football minds out there and probably loaded with $$$$ so I'll take the compliment.
hahahahahah

POPEYE

Coach
If he is instrumental in getting a Central West NSW team in the NSW Cup I'll retract everything bad thing I've said about him . . . even rename him Hans Solo

Blues Riff

Bench
If he is instrumental in getting a Central West NSW team in the NSW Cup I'll retract everything bad thing I've said about him . . . even rename him Hans Solo
Might not happen in his lifetime, but it will be result of what he's doing now.
People dribble shit about Gould's self interest and hidden agenda, but no one can actually explain their theories, just cheap shots and personal insults.

EDIT- Pop I hadn't seen this SMH story. I guess this is what you're referring to. Sound pretty ambitious.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...y-league-20170617-gwt596.html?deviceType=text

Last edited:

Tommy Smith

Referee
7 different clubs have won the premiership in the last 7 seasons, changing to a soft-cap would probably lead to a more uneven competition.
It already is a soft cap due to TPAs.

The Broncos are probably paying an extra 1-2m per year on player salaries than anyone else.

At least Gus' idea proposes to make the salary cap more transparent.

Latest posts