What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Gould - NRL needs to consider setting minimum and maximum salary cap for clubs

RockWheel

Bench
Proof that justice does exist.
Probably evidence that the salary cap is working at evening out the competition. Broncos won six premierships in fourteen years, at least some of those with virtually no salary cap (and definitely not as under as much scrutiny as today). Since then they've regressed to the mean.

TheFrog

Coach
You can spend any amount up to $9.5m, but you must spend at least $8.5m.

Then it's up to the individual clubs how they run their businesses. If you need the money to invest in your business and you only want a team worth $8.5m on the field, then that is your prerogative. It's actually responsible financial management.
Isn't this what happens now? Whatever the salary cap is, it is a maximum only. There is no obligation for clubs to spend the maximum. Imposing a minimum would in fact add a further restriction.

What should be done away with is the back- and front-ending of player contracts. Player contracts should be the same amount each year ie player X signs for $1.8m over 3 seasons, that is 600k per year, not $400k first two years and $1m the third year. This prevents teams getting an advantage by engineering a lean year every five or so.

Third party payments would not be an issue if players were assessed for the salary cap in accordance with their true market value. But considering the game cannot seem to stop certain teams getting favoured treatment in games, in front of an audience of millions, its hard to imagine it happening behind closed doors.

Iafeta

Referee
lol the salary cap doesn't even work,the Storm are headed for like there 6th minor premiership in the past decade this season.

How is it a level playing field if the same team keeps coming first and the same donkeys like the Eels keep missing the 8 every year? lol

My gut feel on Melbourne, the punishment they received wasn't enough for illegally recruiting and then retaining future immortals. They should be laughing all the way to the bank with how well they got away with it.

POPEYE

Coach
Melbourne should have been fined more . . . a million bucks for every 1st grade player they poached from teams that wanted to keep them, a million bucks each for every one of their non one-club players that other teams thought they could win a premiership with

Just so Melbourne wouldn't go completely bankrupt the NRL could reimburse them a million bucks for each representative player they produced from scratch . . . just because it's much harder to win a premiership that way

siv

First Grade
I don't really know much about contracts though I think an ARLC central contract system for selected Rep players (two tiers i.e. SOO and international) could possibly solve a lot of money issues at club level.

They already nanage rep players payments centrally

Front-Rower

First Grade
They already nanage rep players payments centrally

They pay them a match payment. I'm talking about a Cricket Australia type set up where a selection of say 50 players are given central contracts for two years(?). This could possibly help ease pressure on the clubs and also eliminate TPA's.

I'm no expert, but the NBA isn't exactly 'even' is it? Does the luxury tax contribute to that or not?

Nah, but I would be critical of the numbers rather than the concept.

If we were gunna impose any kind of soft cap, it would just be a number of getting the rates right... the NBA has failed in this regard

seanoff

Juniors
I'm no expert, but the NBA isn't exactly 'even' is it? Does the luxury tax contribute to that or not?

The NBA was skewed this year by an explosion in the cap. That allowed GSW huge cap room. That allowed them to get Durant and not break the cap. In the next few years we'll find out if they want to pay the tax. GSW were 14th in salaries this year. Cleveland 1st. Cleveland outspent the Warriors by $26M this year.

Its up to an owner if they want to have a payroll that triggers the tax. This yr it was $113m to trigger the tax. Cleveland paid $127m in salaries. So $14m liable to be taxed. They have paid 3 of the last 4 so their tax would be $2.50/$ up to $5m above the cap, then $2.75/$ from 5- 10 m above the cap. Then $3.50/$ for the last $4m. So the Cavs probably took a $40M tax hit. So the team that lost the NBA finals cost Dan Gilbert $167M. Golden States salary was $101M.

Spending bulk money doesn't guarantee success

TheFrog

Coach
My gut feel on Melbourne, the punishment they received wasn't enough for illegally recruiting and then retaining future immortals. They should be laughing all the way to the bank with how well they got away with it.
Cheats have always prospered in the NRL, both drug cheats and salary cap cheats.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
some clubs already underspend the salary cap, nothing new, what is this senile gimp raving on about?

insert.pause

First Grade
When Bee Sting comes out with this, you can 100% bet your bottom dollar he has a vested interest.

Stupid argument, as has been explained earlier - no club has to spend up to the cap at all.

Next.
Penrith got in very early and re-signed the majority of their squad months ago on the expectation of a certain size salary cap, penrith are among the clubs lobbying for a higher cap. They also don't care about becoming financially sustainable as long as their Leagues club keeps covering their losses. Because it's not like Panthers nearly went bust a decade ago.... that will never happen again...

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Penrith got in very early and re-signed the majority of their squad months ago on the expectation of a certain size salary cap, penrith are among the clubs lobbying for a higher cap. They also don't care about becoming financially sustainable as long as their Leagues club keeps covering their losses. Because it's not like Panthers nearly went bust a decade ago.... that will never happen again...

"not under any salary cap pressure won't be forced to offload players" then suddenly released TMM and Hiku and it's
Unfortunately with the emergence of several of our young players and the way our team has developed, we can’t fit everyone in the team each week.

“From a salary cap perspective we always knew someone would probably have to move on.

see through as plastic