What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player Managers

I agree with some of what you say but don't be so nieve that this is the first time players managers have held clubs to ransom. Player managers every year use other clubs/leak info to push up player/s values and if the player/s is/are big enough could potentially have a "ROLE" in the clubs future. Yes the tigers management seem to have stuffed up but it could be a blessing in disguise and actually help them in the future.

Again that comes back to club management. You mention what some player managers do, and say what they are doing is wrong, and the clubs need to be protected from it, making out like the clubs have a completely passive role in the matter of signing players. What is a player manager's job? To get the best result for their client. Their client is not a club, it is a player. This could be why the NRL were banging on about corporate governance at clubs as some club managements are incredibly piss poor at recruitment as they let the player managers dictate terms all the time because they never counter-offer but merely take whatever the manager offers.

Do you seriously think clubs like the Broncos, Bulldogs, and Roosters do business like that?

Paullyboy

Coach
Anyone who is curious as to what role a player manager has needs to only look at Mitchell Moses.

He would potentially make the starting team of 4 teams in the NRL. He's absolute garbage. Yet he's been made out to be some marquee superstar. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so tedious.

T-Boon

Coach
Anyone who is curious as to what role a player manager has needs to only look at Mitchell Moses.

He would potentially make the starting team of 4 teams in the NRL. He's absolute garbage. Yet he's been made out to be some marquee superstar. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so tedious.

He would definitely make:

Parra, Newcastle, Tigers, Canterbury.

and probably make:

Souths, Dragons, Manly and Storm (Bellamy would have him playing like Wally).

Pedge1971

First Grade
Again that comes back to club management. You mention what some player managers do, and say what they are doing is wrong, and the clubs need to be protected from it, making out like the clubs have a completely passive role in the matter of signing players. What is a player manager's job? To get the best result for their client. Their client is not a club, it is a player. This could be why the NRL were banging on about corporate governance at clubs as some club managements are incredibly piss poor at recruitment as they let the player managers dictate terms all the time because they never counter-offer but merely take whatever the manager offers.

Do you seriously think clubs like the Broncos, Bulldogs, and Roosters do business like that?

Nope. They give the player manager a little something to ensure the players they want are "advised" properly on who they should sign with.

The whole process is rotten and there are no real innocent parties. The irony of clubs crying poor given the way they treat players and coaches they consider past their use by date.......

T-Boon

Coach
I can't see why the clubs don't form their own union and advise the players union of the player agents that they will deal with - club accredited player agents. If the player isn't registered with one of those player managers then they either use a family member, themselves or they don't get an NRL contract.

Eion

First Grade
I can't see why the clubs don't form their own union and advise the players union of the player agents that they will deal with - club accredited player agents. If the player isn't registered with one of those player managers then they either use a family member, themselves or they don't get an NRL contract.
Because the agents would have enough ammo to sink any number of administrators out there.

The NRL needs to tidy up the area they operate in. First target should be the dark art of TPAs.

T-Boon

Coach
Because the agents would have enough ammo to sink any number of administrators out there.

True, I think the code would need to accept that that is coming. Maybe allow a grace period to disclose previous, current indiscretions. We just can't leave it out there for agents to control the game with black mail of sorts.

The NRL needs to tidy up the area they operate in. First target should be the dark art of TPAs.

Totally. But how can they when the agents have the power and they won't allow it.

Last edited:

Eion

First Grade
True, I think the code would need to accept that that is coming. Maybe allow a grace period to disclose previous, current indiscretions. We just can't leave it out there for agents to control the game with black mail of sorts.

Totally. But how can they when the agents have the power and they won't allow it.
I think the only way out is as you say....either take a hit with a year or 2 of controversy...or allow an amnesty. I don't care either way, I'm just sick of hearing how great the cap is for everyone.

It will only get worse until the NRL does something about it. We see this all the time in other industries. For example the lawyers take the piss with the CTP scheme, graft away, it becomes untenable and the legislation changes to try to reign it in.

Latest posts