What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player strike

DiegoNT

First Grade
Lol

It doesn't matter? Of course it bloody matters.

Scales of economy mate.

And does it include revenue from merchandising?

Not sure what you think the NRL make from merchandising, but I think its a little less than EPL, NFL and NBA lol

Nrl won't make a cent without it's players.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Nrl won't make a cent without it's players.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Sooooo......your analogy was bullshit?

The biggest issue is getting a fairer deal for the lower end of the food chain.

F*ck the Thurstons and Smiths. We don't have any idea what they are on anyway with TPA's (given the completely clandestine nature of the deals).

How do you know poor old JT needs more money if we don't know what he's on?

Front-Rower

First Grade
So what if the players and clubs branch off and do their own thing and make their own premier league.

How will the arlc make money without the players and the clubs? It'll be a lot less then the 73% they will still get left over if they come to an agreement with the players.

Didn't this happen 20 years ago? How far did they get? One season before they realised that the population of Australia was too small and the international marketing opportunities do not exist for an independent club only competition to be run.

Front-Rower

First Grade

F*ck the Thurstons and Smiths. We don't have any idea what they are on anyway with TPA's (given the completely clandestine nature of the deals).

Whilst I agree that the guy in the top squad earning their $80, 000 min. wage is putting his body on the line every week should probably get a bit more, I see the need to protect the business aspect of the game as well as the grass roots, the junior systems, the senior systems and so forth down the chain. It's all well and good to say that first grade rugby league players need to earn more but we need to ensure the structures and pathways in place are maintained in high standard so we can keep first grade rugby league at the level it is today and hold our stature as the number 1 nation in the game.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Didn't this happen 20 years ago? How far did they get? One season before they realised that the population of Australia was too small and the international marketing opportunities do not exist for an independent club only competition to be run.
It didn't happen 20 years ago. That was a rival tv company trying to create it's own competition. The teams and players were split roughly 50-50 each way.

This time around it seems the clubs and players are all on the same page. If all players and clubs split/strike then the arlc doesn't make a cent

DiegoNT

First Grade
Whilst I agree that the guy in the top squad earning their $80, 000 min. wage is putting his body on the line every week should probably get a bit more, I see the need to protect the business aspect of the game as well as the grass roots, the junior systems, the senior systems and so forth down the chain. It's all well and good to say that first grade rugby league players need to earn more but we need to ensure the structures and pathways in place are maintained in high standard so we can keep first grade rugby league at the level it is today and hold our stature as the number 1 nation in the game.
It's all well and good saying we need to spend money on this and that to keep the game going. But we need to make the money first. And the way we make that that money is by people tuning in each week to watch the bulldogs and Broncos amd Cam smith and james maloney. Without them you don't have the money to spend on other areas

Front-Rower

First Grade
It didn't happen 20 years ago. That was a rival tv company trying to create it's own competition. The teams and players were split roughly 50-50 each way.

This time around it seems the clubs and players are all on the same page. If all players and clubs split/strike then the arlc doesn't make a cent

Of course it happened. The reason super league started was because the clubs wanted more money and rups wanted rugby league on his TV network.

Which clubs are behind the players in wanting more money? The clubs are more concerned if the cap goes up that they will get the money without having to do anything extra to earn it.

DiegoNT

First Grade

I was saying that in every major sporting comp in the world, players receive a percentage of revenue raised of their talents. Yet when rugby league players try do the same, at a much lower percentage, they get called greedy

Front-Rower

First Grade
It's all well and good saying we need to spend money on this and that to keep the game going. But we need to make the money first. And the way we make that that money is by people tuning in each week to watch the bulldogs and Broncos amd Cam smith and james maloney. Without them you don't have the money to spend on other areas

Majority of people support their clubs mate and have done for 110 seasons.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Of course it happened. The reason super league started was because the clubs wanted more money and rups wanted rugby league on his TV network.

Which clubs are behind the players in wanting more money? The clubs are more concerned if the cap goes up that they will get the money without having to do anything extra to earn it.
The clubs already earn that money. $500m a year doesn't flown into the game every year for people to look at nrl logos or watch todd greenberg press conferences.

To many people go into this arguement with the view that the clubs and players are making their money of the nrl, when it's actually the nrl that is making their money of the clubs and players

DiegoNT

First Grade
Majority of people support their clubs mate and have done for 110 seasons.
I can tell you right now, when souths were outta of the comp for 2 years, and they were dragging blokes like spud out of retirement for exhibitions games against the usa tomahawks, i wasn't going out of my way to spend money on them.

Front-Rower

First Grade
I can tell you right now, when souths were outta of the comp for 2 years, and they were dragging blokes like spud out of retirement for exhibitions games against the usa tomahawks, i wasn't going out of my way to spend money on them.

You are a great fan, aren't you

Front-Rower

First Grade
The clubs already earn that money. $500m a year doesn't flown into the game every year for people to look at nrl logos or watch todd greenberg press conferences.

To many people go into this arguement with the view that the clubs and players are making their money of the nrl, when it's actually the nrl that is making their money of the clubs and players

Like any good company, the establishment make money off their product (rugby league) along with their trademarks (the club licences) and send the money back down the chain so the clubs can find the next group of players and finance their operations. If you see the players as the product that is totally wrong.

DiegoNT

First Grade
You are a great fan, aren't you
Trust me, you can do it for a short time, in the hope that you will be back in the nrl. But if their's no hope it's hard to stay interested. Just ask bear and jets fans how many games they attend and watch?

DiegoNT

First Grade
Like any good company, the establishment make money off their product (rugby league) along with their trademarks (the club licences) and send the money back down the chain so the clubs can find the next group of players and finance their operations. If you see the players as the product that is totally wrong.
If you can't see the players as the product then you are totally wrong.
Who provides the hits, the tries, the line breaks, the try savers, the acts of tougness?
When talking about our big events don't we talk the players. Like origin, we talk about Thurston class, Slaters brilliance, Smith's tenacity, fifita's explosion, cordners tougness and Pearce's failures?
If you don't watch the game to see what the players produce, why would you watch?

Nice Beaver

First Grade
I was saying that in every major sporting comp in the world, players receive a percentage of revenue raised of their talents. Yet when rugby league players try do the same, at a much lower percentage, they get called greedy

The EPL, NBA and NFL are sports. That is about where the analogy to the NRL ends.

Different countries, different populations, different incomes.

And I am sure that if Mr $750k a year is unsatisfied, there are some awesome jobs pouring concrete they can do instead.

Nice Beaver

First Grade

I was referring to the issue of pay for players itself.

All of those other aspects are of course vitally important.

DiegoNT

First Grade
The EPL, NBA and NFL are sports. That is about where the analogy to the NRL ends.

Different countries, different populations, different incomes.

And I am sure that if Mr $750k a year is unsatisfied, there are some awesome jobs pouring concrete they can do instead.
Not quite.
The players make these sports league these sports leagues what they are. They are entitled to their cut of the profit.
I'm sure if Le Bron isn't happy making $30m a year he could pour cement as well.
If an organisation is making so much money of the back of what a group of people produce, then of course it's only fair that that group comes together and demands a certain share of that

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Not quite.
The players make these sports league these sports leagues what they are. They are entitled to their cut of the profit.
I'm sure if Le Bron isn't happy making $30m a year he could pour cement as well.
If an organisation is making so much money of the back of what a group of people produce, then of course it's only fair that that group comes together and demands a certain share of that

Yep.

The NRL is flush with excess cash. Once again, the revenue and funding models are vastly different in those overseas sports to the NRL.

Players went on strike in the NBA and MLB previously. Those sports survived.