What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player strike

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Premier league clubs receive 95% of tv money raises. The majority goes to players and transfer fees

The NBA guarantees that at least 50% of money raised through the tv deals goes to the players.

Nfl is 47-48%

27% is not unfair

Its not the 27% thats the issue

Its what counts in the 100%

Should it include club revenue ?
Should it include leagues club grants?
Should it include property interests of clubs like raiders 4 bunnings stores?
Should it include revenue from ticket sales from world cup ?

These would be the things that they are thrashing out..

DiegoNT

First Grade
Yep.

The NRL is flush with excess cash. Once again, the revenue and funding models are vastly different in those overseas sports to the NRL.

Players went on strike in the NBA and MLB previously. Those sports survived.
Which is why the nrl players are asking for a percentage that they feel works best for them and the game.
Would the nba and mlb have survived if those strikes were prolonged and unresolved? Doubtful.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Which is why the nrl players are asking for a percentage that they feel works best for them and the game.
Would the nba and mlb have survived if those strikes were prolonged and unresolved? Doubtful.

MLB still feeling effects 20 years later...

if Ian P an ex AFL player creates a strike.. we will know he's been a plant

insert.pause

First Grade
gee James Maloney and Cameron Smith I doubt anyone believes that the NRL don't give the players a fair go. Furthermore, if James thinks the world revolves the NRL players only no one will back your crying.
"the nrl better give us players all the monies, or ya know, we won't rule out striking, ya know."

Maloney, ya know, is, out of his depth, ya know...

Diesel

Referee
f**k the 27% to the players, I want to know what's going to grass roots first and secondly where and when is the ARLC going to make cuts to their spending?

fourplay

Juniors
28% is more than reasonable. If the game can't afford to pay the players 28%, where is all the money going?

POPEYE

Coach
RL is a penny ante game played in a penny ante country most players of which should be happy to be thrown a penny. Unlike densely populated countries there is not enough money to go round after the hangers-on get their cut

RL is shunned in most countries because the physical requirements are way too disproportionate to remuneration . . . people playing a mug's game at the highest level should be content with what they get

The real issue is the mugs who put in the effort but don't even get close to the money tree, if the 'elite' few at the top are really concerned with the plight of those at the bottom then I say viva la revolution

betcats

Referee
28% is more than reasonable. If the game can't afford to pay the players 28%, where is all the money going?

Exactly! Why cant the NRL just properly open up the books? And why are they borrowing money after the record cash injections in the last five years? Where has the money gone? Spending from the NRL has increased massively for what? They are pissing money away and the game is going backwards. We just spent millions on a bunker system that hasn't improved our use of the video ref at all. We paid Shane Richardson god knows what to recruit sam burgess back to the bunnies an re name the NYC the platinum league, a plan which was thrown in the bin as soon as Richo went back to the bunnies. Now if we have top officials wasting money with farces like that then you can bet your life its happening a shitload all the way down through the ranks and we just don't hear about it.

Last edited:
Yep.

The NRL is flush with excess cash. Once again, the revenue and funding models are vastly different in those overseas sports to the NRL.

Players went on strike in the NBA and MLB previously. Those sports survived.

Interesting you cite those 2 sports with the players going on strike. It happened in the NFL and the NHL too, with both having multiple strikes in multiple years.

The NBA has also had at least 2 player lockouts by the owners also.

Thing is in the case of the NFL and the NBA, the players and the owners came to a negotiated settlement. They both lead to a revenue share model with both sports having salary caps.

MLB?! That strike was won hands down by the players. They broke the owners in the strike which effected the 1994-95 season, saw 688 games cancelled including the entire 1995 post season and the World Series. It effectively ended any chance of a salary cap which is why you see the same few teams win the World Series in MLB as the teams with the financial resources sign all the talent.

Its not the 27% thats the issue

Its what counts in the 100%

Should it include club revenue ?
Should it include leagues club grants?
Should it include property interests of clubs like raiders 4 bunnings stores?
Should it include revenue from ticket sales from world cup ?

These would be the things that they are thrashing out..

I think the following article, published by the Sydney Morning Herald answers some of your questions -

July 4 2017 - 6:10PM

RLPA excludes revenue streams in CBA negotiation concession
by Adrian Proszenko and Phil Lutton

The Rugby League Players' Association has written off hundreds of millions of dollars worth of revenue streams in its demand for a fixed share of the game's spoils, but the concession has done nothing to progress a collective bargaining agreement with the NRL.

The NRL and the RLPA met again on Tuesday as part of a two-day scheduled lockdown meeting, with both parties leaving the negotiating table at about 12.45pm frustrated at the lack of progress. There were suggestions the union and its players in attendance – including Moses Mbye, Aidan Guerra, Joel Thompson and Jeremy Latimore – staged a walkout after they were unable to break the stalemate. This was denied by the RLPA, although the association is becoming increasingly frustrated at the lack of headway made and the way it is being portrayed by the governing body.

The RLPA is holding out for a guaranteed 29 per cent share of revenue, but has made a large concession in the revenue streams it wants a piece of in an attempt to fast-track a deal. Fairfax Media can reveal that leagues club funding, contra and the costs of building the NRL digital platform – the latter slated as being worth more than $120 million – have been removed from the slice of the revenue pie the union originally sought.

The RLPA has given the NRL permission to disseminate its latest proposal to clubs in the belief they will view it favourably. It will be interesting to see how the news is received, particularly given that head office was slammed for misrepresenting the players' demands when claiming the original offer would "ultimately destroy the financial viability and structure of the game and its clubs".

While both parties claim they are prepared to meet at any time, it's likely Wednesday's talks will be cancelled.

"Despite what has been reported, players did not 'stage a walkout' at the meeting," RLPA boss Ian Prendergast said.

"In fact, they discussed the merits of their revised proposal at length and worked through all the items on the agenda.

"Players are disappointed with the ongoing leaking of misleading information that has occurred throughout the process. The public deserve the truth, particularly given the importance of these discussions to the future of rugby league.

"We have requested that the NRL take the players' revised offer back to clubs for their consideration, which we believe is fair and affordable. It also includes significant concessions that players have agreed to make during these negotiations.

"Considering the game has grown off the back of the players' performance and them putting their bodies on the line week in, week out, we believe they deserve a fair deal. This will also allow the NRL record levels of revenue to invest in other areas of the game.

"The RLPA remains committed to meeting at any time to work through the issues that need to be resolved."

The NRL claims its offer will result in wages rising 48 per cent over the life of the next CBA, raising average salaries above $300,000.

"Our position is that we're happy to keep talking," an NRL spokesperson said.

"It's common in negotiations that you hit a roadblock but we believe talking is the best way to get it settled."

The game's biggest names are mobilised and ready to fight for their rights. Both State of Origin teams walked into the opening day of their respective camps wearing caps emblazoned with the "RLPA" logo on them.

While the NRL is claiming the players' share of revenue has increased from 26 to 28 per cent, the union feels the share has been distorted by shifting costs from clubs into the players' share.

"The playing group and the RLPA are getting a little bit frustrated with the lack of commitment from the NRL towards our vision moving forward," said Maroons captain and RLPA president Cameron Smith.

"I think we've got a pretty good turnout in Sydney today, about 14 players getting out of training to go to this meeting and show their support of not only the RLPA, but showing the unity the playing group has and our willingness to be genuine partners of the NRL.

"It's been a bit unfortunate with some misleading comments from the NRL around the CBA and our proposal and what we want to do there. Hopefully they can commit to what we believe is something very positive for our game, moving forward and trying to grow it."

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg has yet to attend any of the negotiation sessions, a point the players have seized upon.

"I think if he was to sit in on it and sit down with Ian Prendergast and talk to him, I thought there could be a deal done," Smith said.

"It's waiting to be done. Let's hope we can make some small steps forward.

"The cricket has [come to a stalemate]. But the thing that buoys us is the AFL got a deal done, it's a closer fit. I was extremely happy to see the AFL players and the AFL got it done. We understand it's a long process but we're patient. We're not going to walk away from this. We believe what we have put forward to the NRL is fair and we're not budging."

Also to those peddling the line "Pendergast is an AFL plant". He is not employed by the NRL, nor by us. He is employed by the Rugby League Players Association. If he is not doing the job they want of him, they will punt him. This line is being trotted out to try and disadvantage the players bargaining ability, nothing more.

Vozzy

Juniors
An NRL player gets paid well compared to an average australian. But the work an nrl player puts in the get to the top compared to other high profile sports they get paid peanuts compared to them. This is why I love rugby league cos I believe I'm watching a game that's played for the love of the game (99% of the time) compared to the money like other sports. Sports like NFL and soccer. A player only needs like 1-2 to be on millions then you can tell their hearts not in it.

Pommy

Coach
Premier league clubs receive 95% of tv money raises. The majority goes to players and transfer fees

The NBA guarantees that at least 50% of money raised through the tv deals goes to the players.

Nfl is 47-48%

27% is not unfair

20% of the domestic TV deal goes to the football league. I'm not sure what happens to overseas to rights and if that makes it up to 95%

insert.pause

First Grade
I think the following article, published by the Sydney Morning Herald answers some of your questions -

Also to those peddling the line "Pendergast is an AFL plant". He is not employed by the NRL, nor by us. He is employed by the Rugby League Players Association. If he is not doing the job they want of him, they will punt him. This line is being trotted out to try and disadvantage the players bargaining ability, nothing more.
they still want 29% of the entire games revenue, not just central revenue, which means 29% of club revenues, despite 14 clubs losing money. So suddenly that little 29% breaks down to a cap closer to $13m, eroding any gap between the cap and club grant, fought for by clubs to help them become financially sustainable to ensure these players have jobs. Prendergast is in it for his own ambition and the players are to dumb or naive to notice. In fact, I doubt the majority of players have even read his proposal, let alone appreciate it's implications for the game.

Munted

Bench
Yeah give these merkins more money!
f**k em off.

Rugby League is a business (my favourite saying!), so I don't give a f**k about how it compares to other sports and the take they get.
Let's look at other businesses and understand their revenue and the % that goes into the pockets of the employees via remuneration.

Plenty of other occupations out there boys, plenty of other people 'putting their body on the line' weekly doing dangerous work not earning the f**king big bucks.

SMH.

Nobody forced these guys into sport and football, nobody forced them to continue the careers when they got a shot at the big time.

Go see how much of a f**k a major record label gives about their talent with the piss weak % of money artists see.

Choices people. We all have em.

they still want 29% of the entire games revenue, not just central revenue, which means 29% of club revenues, despite 14 clubs losing money. So suddenly that little 29% breaks down to a cap closer to $13m, eroding any gap between the cap and club grant, fought for by clubs to help them become financially sustainable to ensure these players have jobs. Prendergast is in it for his own ambition and the players are to dumb or naive to notice. In fact, I doubt the majority of players have even read his proposal, let alone appreciate it's implications for the game.

Considering guys like James Maloney and Cameron Smith are on the Board of Directors of the RLPA, with Cameron Smith being the President, I would not say that at all. Furthermore, how many people read every single page, of every single section of an industrial agreement when nit is being voted on?

I've been involved in enough industrial relations matters to know what goes on. If you think a rep like Pendergast is acting on his own and the players are just siting back and letting him do whatever he wants, you don't know much about industrial relations matters. Plenty of CEO's of the RLPA and its forebears have been punted when the players thought they were not doing a good job for them (just ask the President of the NSW RL Players Association when the Draft came in in 1991, he lost his job for not opposing it when Kevin Ryan was installed as the new President and supporter Terry Hill when he took the NSWRL to the High Court). Hell in my own Union, the previous Secretary of our Union got dumped for the exact same reason.