What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players you rated who ended up dissapointing you

russ13

First Grade
Travis Burns - but was he ever any good?

Just about the only player Manly let go when they won the premiershiP.

Charlie124

First Grade
Brett Firman for sure, he was a good player at the Dragons before coming up to the Cows. He just never seemed to fit in, played one brilliant game against the Panthers and then turned to sh*t again.

Don Malone has played 1 or 2 games in FG and what i saw i was happy with, i dont know how anyone could really be dissapointed with him yet.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
John Buttigieg- after that awesome origin he and webb never did all that much.

QUOTE]

Butts had a chronic quad injury that couldnt be 100% repaired and had to retire at 26. Was a real shame cuz at the time he was the heart and soul of our pack and missed out when the club started to come good in 04 and be regular top 8 finishers (dropped back down since).

I'll have a go at a few

Chris Muckert - Was moving up towards being a possible qld bolter while he was up north unitl he moved to the eels and just went downhill from there
Amos Roberts - Was a try scoring freak at penrith then just couldnt keep it rolling at the roosters, similar to firman, harrison, o'meley, etc etc. Maybe they can start singing qld stars in a ploy to finally win back origin as their form will immediatly turn to sh!t when they put on the tri-colours:D
Jamaal Lolesi - Was very strong at the dogs and was happy to see him doing well being a fellow keebra park high product. Went to the tigers and got played at lock by supercoach sheens and never excelled

Iafette Paleassina (complete guess at the spelling) - kept up his damaging form in england was just disappointed i didnt get to see his charges every week after he left which was always an awesome sight, that and he apparently had a few talks with the cowboys before leavign to england and would have been devasting up front with rauihihi at the time.

Glen Morrison - Same as muckert as never quite being at the same level at the eels as he was in townsville. Left cuz he was sick of being snubbed by nsw selectors even after gould saying he was the best on the paddock during the city v country match. Funnily enough after stating north qld is a black hole for nsw selectors he's replacement in Luke O'Donnell headed up north and walked straight into a sky blue jersey and has been one of the best buys the club has ever made.

Kaufasi & Manukafoa - Out of all the off contracts forwards we could have picked we ended up with these two powder puffs. Kaufasi's menacing 30m gained a match and manese's ability to turn slower then the QE2 proved to be great for us last year :?

Leon Bott - was suppose to be the next matt utai (when he was in his damaging prime) only with more pace. Had a decent debut and remember watching him score a cracker with an explosion of pace then just fell off the radar.

Be dozens more but my brain is fried atm

Paulie Jay

Juniors
Jake Webster. Signed from Melbourne and aside from gazing at his shoes for a few games, has done bugger all with the Titans since.

Raider_69

Post Whore
cant believe knight fans havent named Mullen or Uate... i know they are both still very young and have plenty of time to live up to the hype, but these guys were supposed to best in their position by now had you listened to knights fans.

Chook Herron

Juniors
Steve Price (Dragons)
Colin Saukuru
Nathan Koina
William Kennedy
Shane Kenward
Willie Peters
James Pickering
Willie Newton

Johns Magic

Referee
cant believe knight fans havent named Mullen or Uate... i know they are both still very young and have plenty of time to live up to the hype, but these guys were supposed to best in their position by now had you listened to knights fans.

Bit rich coming from a Raiders fan. Probably the only bunch who prematurely ejaculate over their juniors more than we do.

Will agree with Uate, not with Mullen. He's only 22 and did a good job for us last year. Not the best half in the competition, but then again I never expected that of him.

dubby

Bench
Craig Frawley
Matt Adamson
Andrew Lomu
Andrew Dunemann

all did nothing for the Raiders. Adamson tried hard but his knees stopped him from alot of game time.

Juniors;

Ale
Lightning
Fulivai

For the Raiders:

Michael Weyman
William Zillman
Todd Carney (I think he is grossly overrated)
Bronx Goodwin
Jermaine Ale
Peter Penia

Other Teams:

Brett Firman
Owen Craigie
Richie Williams
Sonny Bill Williams
Tim Smith

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
...Ali Lauititi for mine has to be one of the greatest waste of talents that the game has ever seen....

For sure. I'm still pissed off that the Warriors basically dumped him in 2004, but at the end of the day the blame rests mostly with Ali. I think his performances with Leeds in the years since prove that- he is still performing at a decent level, has won premierships, played for the Kiwis, and done enough to hold his place in the Leeds team, but this is a bloke who had (at 30 I think his athleticism has started to wane so I'll use the past tense) more ability than any back-rower I've ever seen- probably more than SBW imo. He has always been content to be a decent player when he could have been the best.

Even when he was the "best back-rower in the world" in 2002 he frustrated me. He got too obsessed with off-loading when his primary talent was just running with the ball. His combination of size, strength, agility and speed was just ridiculous- probably the most talented ball-carrying forward I've ever seen. He could've been like a bigger, more athletic, more agile version of Gordon Tallis but with SBW's offloading ability.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Bit rich coming from a Raiders fan. Probably the only bunch who prematurely ejaculate over their juniors more than we do.

Will agree with Uate, not with Mullen. He's only 22 and did a good job for us last year. Not the best half in the competition, but then again I never expected that of him.

i ment no disrepect when saying that, im well aware that when it comes to over-rating ones juniors, its a two horse race between our two fan bases. I mean you only have to look at this thread to see some of the high hopes we've had for some players.

Im just saying, Uate and Mullen were touted as two future INT. players... as far as i can see Mullen is a good player who can occasional look awesome and Uate is a very average winger who can occasionally out sprint people

jc155776

Coach
Brett Firman for sure, he was a good player at the Dragons before coming up to the Cows. He just never seemed to fit in, played one brilliant game against the Panthers and then turned to sh*t again.

Don Malone has played 1 or 2 games in FG and what i saw i was happy with, i dont know how anyone could really be dissapointed with him yet.

He was average in the NRL games I saw him play, was bundled out of touch, dropping balls etc.

I was thinking their may be an attitude problem if he cannot get a starting spot in such an injury depleted backline last year.

elyod138

Bench
He was average in the NRL games I saw him play, was bundled out of touch, dropping balls etc.

I was thinking their may be an attitude problem if he cannot get a starting spot in such an injury depleted backline last year.

He is a centre, that's why he looked lost playing on the wing. IMO he showed more ability in the little move he put on for the try he scored than any of the Centres we have had (apart from Tonga).

The few time I saw the Mackay Cutters play he was getting no ball at all because they were just getting smashed all the time. Every time they had the ball they were struggling to get out of their own half so I doubt he had many chances in the QLD Cup to force his way into first grade.

Johns Magic

Referee
i ment no disrepect when saying that, im well aware that when it comes to over-rating ones juniors, its a two horse race between our two fan bases. I mean you only have to look at this thread to see some of the high hopes we've had for some players.

Im just saying, Uate and Mullen were touted as two future INT. players... as far as i can see Mullen is a good player who can occasional look awesome and Uate is a very average winger who can occasionally out sprint people

Anyone expecting Mullen to be the next Andrew Johns was kidding themselves, and unfortunately I think that was the title he was supposed to live up to due to media/town pressure. Regardless, he's still in the top bunch of halves in the competition, and if he shopped himself around I can't see any clubs who wouldn't be banging the door down to sign him. Still only 22 and has plenty of time yet to become a rep player when you consider that a lot of halves don't really kick on until a bit later than that.
He's also been dicked around between halback and 5/8 with no other experienced(or even first-grade standard) half to help him out, and our backline isn't exactly potent either.

In summary I'd say whilst I can see where you're coming from, I'd say Mullen has been far from a disappointment.

Uate has been though. I never got to see much of him as a junior, but the way he was talked up, to see a 97kg absolute speedster who crabs across field, doesn't want to get involved in attack and can't read the defence at all was a major letdown.

Noa

First Grade
Amos Roberts - Was a try scoring freak at penrith then just couldnt keep it rolling at the roosters, similar to firman, harrison, o'meley, etc etc. Maybe they can start singing qld stars in a ploy to finally win back origin as their form will immediatly turn to sh!t when they put on the tri-colours

Harsh.

54 tries from 89 games in a sh*te team is pretty good. Take away his poor 2nd last season and it is 47t from 68 games.

butchmcdick

Immortal
For the Raiders:

Michael Weyman
William Zillman
Todd Carney (I think he is grossly overrated)
Bronx Goodwin
Jermaine Ale
Peter Penia

Other Teams:

Brett Firman
Owen Craigie
Richie Williams
Sonny Bill Williams
Tim Smith

Is this a piss take ?

Sure he may have left the game in a ridiculous fashion but he was the best forward in the game for at least two seasons, played for his nation and won a comp.