What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG and Cairns investigate joint NRL bid

Vee

First Grade
WTF??

The pride have been a feeder team to the Cowboys since before they were even called that name
Don't ask me, I have mates that reckon GD is the only man that ever had a Macca's franchise go broke on him.

The Great Dane

First Grade
- So it is just about money, which is disappointing. I disagree that a PNG side would be 'a money pit' and I think it would bring just as much international development to rugby league that a NZ 2 side would.

Actually it's not just about money it's also about bring more resources into NZ to help develop the sport in NZ, but I guess that NZ aren't "deserving" of that are they...

- Yes, we should invest into improving it, but just dropping teams into it isn't investing or improving it. No one is saying just drop the Hunters into the NRL.

Actually depending on the team, how they are introduced, and what they bring to the comp, yes dropping some teams into the lower tiers is investing in the lower tiers and/ or improving them, but I can't be bothered to really go into it, so I'll just say look at the interest that clubs like Toronto and Toulouse have brought to League 1 and Championship in England in the last few years... They've had more exposure in the last few years then they had over the previous 10 before that, and more interest, money, and opportunities have followed because of it...

- What exactly are we making all this money for? It's to grow rugby league is it not? Or is it so everyone involved in the NRL gets richer - admin, coaches, players etc? When it comes to what it is there for, the NRL is indeed a charity. The problem with the NRL is still the insularity and selfishness of all involved, and this is the same ridiculousness you kept coming out with in the Denver Test thread, because the NRL and its clubs exist solely to make money apparently, and not for the good of our sport.

Actually they're making that money cause the NRL is a business, it needs to at least break even to be not only successful but to exist! The spare change also helps with spreading the game and growth by the way (and as an aside, actually NRL invests more into the growth of the sport than any other RL organisation in the world, outside of Australia most of it goes to the PIs, and until last year they were basically funding the NZRLs existence as well, they could and should definitely do more, but over the last decade or so they've only increased their spending in this department and I see no signs of that stopping anytime soon)...

Your problem is you are an idealist, foregoing progress in the pursuit of perfection, when progress is the only path to perfection. Unfortunately what is ideal, what we want to see, and what we would like the sport to be isn't always practical (yet).

If we did what you'd like, when you'd like it, and how you'd like, we'd be throwing money after all sorts of ventures that are doomed to failure, or never to provide a return on the investment, or to be so exorbitantly expensive that they aren't worth doing cause of the cost. That is bad business, you've got to live within you're means, take risks yes, but don't bet the house on anything either.

If the NRL and NRL clubs did only what was perceived to be "for the good of the game" they'd go broke relatively quickly, cause every cent that came into the NRL/clubs would be directly reinvested into the sport on some level all over the world, and they wouldn't keep any to maintain themselves, and the NRL going broke would not be "for the good of the game".

Just look at the ARU and tell me that them sending themselves broke "for the good of the game", letting other members of SANZAAR walk all over them and directly impede their ability to sustain themselves, throwing money into bad investment after bad investment has been good! Now cause of their overreach, over spending, and poor judgement they risk losing everything, we do not want that for the NRL and RL.

And I'm sorry that you are morally bankrupt and think that it's ok that unaffiliated organisations are using NRL clubs resources at their expense without providing compensation (of some sort) for their loses just cause you see the NRL as the 'rich and powerful' and able to take it, really I am sorry, cause now a precedent has been set in our sport that it's ok to directly negatively effect other clubs and competitions for your own gain in that way, and you're right, in the long run the NRL clubs will be fine with the loses that are sustained from losing those players for a short time, the injuries sustained during the games, etc, but I'm not sure that other federations or clubs in other competitions will be ok in the long run if similar circumstances happen to them, in fact if it was to happen regularly to countries like France or many of the other smaller nations it could cripple their local competitions (that definitely wouldn't be for the good of the game...), but the precedent has been set, and once a precedent is set it's extremely hard to over throw it... But again this is neither the time or the place.

- I don't have a problem with Adelaide, I have a problem with placing Adelaide above far more deserving markets which would add a lot more to the game.

What benefits would having the Hunters in the NRL over the QLDcup actually provide? Cause I can't think of any significant ones. And what makes you say that they'd add more to the game than Adelaide?
Apart from the monetarily benefits having an Adelaide team in the NRL would bring more exposure to the sport in that part of the country, over time it'd attract a lot more people to the sport in that part of the world, including participants and juniors, it'd create inroads into that talent pool, etc, etc. I mean we either already have or still couldn't obtain all of the above in PNG if a PNG NRL team were a part of the NRL, so again what exactly would we be adding that we don't already have by adding a PNG NRL team.

And as an aside, who exactly the f##k are you to say what markets are or aren't "deserving" to take part in the NRL? And what specifically makes a market "deserving" to take part in the NRL?

Diesel

Referee
NRL needs a proper tier two national competition. I don’t know how it’s made up but WA and a number of potential NRL locations need to be part of it, which should’ve been running within 5 years of the ARLC forming.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Ipswich population is over 200,000 and forecast to double over the next 10 years.
Redcliffe Dolphins could easily be Brisbane 2 playing out of Suncorp and still playing games at the Dolphin Oval to stay connected with their roots and picking up the disaffected Broncos fans and Rugby League from Brisbane who don't like the Broncos for various reasons

My preference is a big city Brisbane club but Ipswich and Redcliffe are great clubs and I wouldn't begrudge them if they got the nod. There would be many locals here with a soft-spot for both of them. If Redcliffe got in, I would like to see them play their marquee games at Suncorp (Broncos, Storm, Warriors, Cowboys) and the rest at Dolphin Oval redeveloped to hold 20k.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why is everything simply just about monetary benefit to the NRL? I'm talking about what benefits rugby league as a whole. I believe international development and gaining more professional players from other countries leading to a better international game will grow rugby league globally and is more important than having a presence in Adelaide.

Because the nrl is about making money lol. The top tier has to earn the biggest revenue it can in order to fund the whole game here and elsewhere.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL needs a proper tier two national competition. I don’t know how it’s made up but WA and a number of potential NRL locations need to be part of it, which should’ve been running within 5 years of the ARLC forming.

I believe that was Richardson’s blueprint for the whole of game review. It would require a proper nrl reserve grade as well though, then you have to ask what talent level would be available if you’ve got nrl, nrl reserve grade then a national second grade comp then nsw/qld cup for teams not in second grade.

You won’t get people interested in a proper second grade comp if it is just semi pseudo reserve grade for nrl teams.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Actually it's not just about money it's also about bring more resources into NZ to help develop the sport in NZ, but I guess that NZ aren't "deserving" of that are they...

Actually depending on the team, how they are introduced, and what they bring to the comp, yes dropping some teams into the lower tiers is investing in the lower tiers and/ or improving them, but I can't be bothered to really go into it, so I'll just say look at the interest that clubs like Toronto and Toulouse have brought to League 1 and Championship in England in the last few years... They've had more exposure in the last few years then they had over the previous 10 before that, and more interest, money, and opportunities have followed because of it...

Actually they're making that money cause the NRL is a business, it needs to at least break even to be not only successful but to exist! The spare change also helps with spreading the game and growth by the way (and as an aside, actually NRL invests more into the growth of the sport than any other RL organisation in the world, outside of Australia most of it goes to the PIs, and until last year they were basically funding the NZRLs existence as well, they could and should definitely do more, but over the last decade or so they've only increased their spending in this department and I see no signs of that stopping anytime soon)...

Your problem is you are an idealist, foregoing progress in the pursuit of perfection, when progress is the only path to perfection. Unfortunately what is ideal, what we want to see, and what we would like the sport to be isn't always practical (yet).

If we did what you'd like, when you'd like it, and how you'd like, we'd be throwing money after all sorts of ventures that are doomed to failure, or never to provide a return on the investment, or to be so exorbitantly expensive that they aren't worth doing cause of the cost. That is bad business, you've got to live within you're means, take risks yes, but don't bet the house on anything either.

If the NRL and NRL clubs did only what was perceived to be "for the good of the game" they'd go broke relatively quickly, cause every cent that came into the NRL/clubs would be directly reinvested into the sport on some level all over the world, and they wouldn't keep any to maintain themselves, and the NRL going broke would not be "for the good of the game".

Just look at the ARU and tell me that them sending themselves broke "for the good of the game", letting other members of SANZAAR walk all over them and directly impede their ability to sustain themselves, throwing money into bad investment after bad investment has been good! Now cause of their overreach, over spending, and poor judgement they risk losing everything, we do not want that for the NRL and RL.

And I'm sorry that you are morally bankrupt and think that it's ok that unaffiliated organisations are using NRL clubs resources at their expense without providing compensation (of some sort) for their loses just cause you see the NRL as the 'rich and powerful' and able to take it, really I am sorry, cause now a precedent has been set in our sport that it's ok to directly negatively effect other clubs and competitions for your own gain in that way, and you're right, in the long run the NRL clubs will be fine with the loses that are sustained from losing those players for a short time, the injuries sustained during the games, etc, but I'm not sure that other federations or clubs in other competitions will be ok in the long run if similar circumstances happen to them, in fact if it was to happen regularly to countries like France or many of the other smaller nations it could cripple their local competitions (that definitely wouldn't be for the good of the game...), but the precedent has been set, and once a precedent is set it's extremely hard to over throw it... But again this is neither the time or the place.

What benefits would having the Hunters in the NRL over the QLDcup actually provide? Cause I can't think of any significant ones. And what makes you say that they'd add more to the game than Adelaide?
Apart from the monetarily benefits having an Adelaide team in the NRL would bring more exposure to the sport in that part of the country, over time it'd attract a lot more people to the sport in that part of the world, including participants and juniors, it'd create inroads into that talent pool, etc, etc. I mean we either already have or still couldn't obtain all of the above in PNG if a PNG NRL team were a part of the NRL, so again what exactly would we be adding that we don't already have by adding a PNG NRL team.

And as an aside, who exactly the f##k are you to say what markets are or aren't "deserving" to take part in the NRL? And what specifically makes a market "deserving" to take part in the NRL?

Haha

They have already won the Qld cup with a home grown team.

I think they could do just as well if given the chance at NRL level in the future decade.

8 million fanatics compared to ...

As for TV and revenue TV is changing, a side like PNG would sell heaps of subs even in a hell whole as I've heard PNG described on any mobile platform, they do have internet in PNG.

I don't think you have given the hunters enough credit actually in what they have achieved so far, everything asked of them has been done.

beave

Coach
Are there any other suitable local grounds?

No, there was talk of building a 10k stadium but seems to have died off.

I have a feeling the cowboys are getting heavily involved so as to be able to justify opening a leagues club up there in either Cowboys or Pride branding. Makes sense to expand the business in an area that comes under our umbrella. The current Cowboys leagues club is going through yet another facelift in prep of the new stadium being built 5min walk away. Once the gameday revenue starts hitting the cash registers, the club is going to be in really good shape off the field. At the moment it turns a decent profit with the stadium 20kms away, 500m is going to make a massive difference.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Haha

They have already won the Qld cup with a home grown team.

I think they could do just as well if given the chance at NRL level in the future decade.

Within the context of this discussion I couldn't care less about their potential on field success, however I would suggest that if they couldn't beat the Panthers reserve grade that they'd probably struggle for sometime in the NRL until they started consistently producing PNG born upper echelon NRL quality talent, cause there's no way they'd be able to convince many Aus or NZ players of any standard to play for them (especially if they are based in PNG)...

8 million fanatics compared to ...

8 million fanatics that at least 7.5 of whom couldn't afford to be patrons of the club or the NRL on a regular basis if at all...

As for TV and revenue TV is changing, a side like PNG would sell heaps of subs even in a hell whole as I've heard PNG described on any mobile platform, they do have internet in PNG.

Again the vast, vast majority of PNG residents couldn't afford the subscription fees, and many of the ones that could have more important things to spend their money on...

Frankly PNG as a market isn't very valuable to advertisers, sponsors, etc, there simply isn't very much money to be made in PNG when compared to Aus, NZ, etc, in the entertainment industry. It's not a knock on them, it just is what it is until their economy grows enough to support a significantly big enough middle class to support such ventures.

I don't think you have given the hunters enough credit actually in what they have achieved so far, everything asked of them has been done.

I give them lots of credit for what they have done, but no matter how many times we ask them to they (the Hunters) won't be able to lower the poverty rate in PNG, they won't be able to get rid of the extreme amounts of corruption, they won't be able to effect the rates of crime, etc, etc, etc.

All the problems with a PNG NRL team are societal problems in PNG that the NRL (and RL in general) has little power over, on the football side of things they have the perfect bid, but until they figure out those other issues it's simply a complete no-starter.

jim_57

Staff member
I feel like best case scenario for PNG in the next 20 years (at least) would be for Hunters plus perhaps another QLD Cup team. More importantly with some sort of junior connection to get young stars in the NRL club's sights.

Having a steady stream of PNG juniors coming through the NRL and a strong national team who can bring top quality games back to PNG to make up for no NRL.

As it stands PNG are little chance of getting an NRL team and 0 chance of winning a premiership even if they did seeing as they wpuld be a revolving door of players moving to Australian clubs. A World Cup or at least a genuinely competitive national team would repay the faith for PNG and is more likely than an NRL team.

Last edited:

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Within the context of this discussion I couldn't care less about their potential on field success, however I would suggest that if they couldn't beat the Panthers reserve grade that they'd probably struggle for sometime in the NRL until they started consistently producing PNG born upper echelon NRL quality talent, cause there's no way they'd be able to convince many Aus or NZ players of any standard to play for them (especially if they are based in PNG)...

8 million fanatics that at least 7.5 of whom couldn't afford to be patrons of the club or the NRL on a regular basis if at all...

Again the vast, vast majority of PNG residents couldn't afford the subscription fees, and many of the ones that could have more important things to spend their money on...

Frankly PNG as a market isn't very valuable to advertisers, sponsors, etc, there simply isn't very much money to be made in PNG when compared to Aus, NZ, etc, in the entertainment industry. It's not a knock on them, it just is what it is until their economy grows enough to support a significantly big enough middle class to support such ventures.

I give them lots of credit for what they have done, but no matter how many times we ask them to they (the Hunters) won't be able to lower the poverty rate in PNG, they won't be able to get rid of the extreme amounts of corruption, they won't be able to effect the rates of crime, etc, etc, etc.

All the problems with a PNG NRL team are societal problems in PNG that the NRL (and RL in general) has little power over, on the football side of things they have the perfect bid, but until they figure out those other issues it's simply a complete no-starter.

I think most on here are looking at the short problems that png have and not the bigger picture. Yes security, fraud/corruption, crime, female abuse, and poverty are all issue that face png. But this still doesn’t change the fact that rugby league is a religion there. The longer term benefits that Rugby league has, is the potential to be a complete game changer for png as a whole. I personally think the Nrl should create a department (or significantly increase-if one exists) that looks after overseas programs in line with Dfat and Aus gov trade representatives. Nrl has the chance to become bigger than rugby league. Actually educate, and teach png people the important values of a normal 1st world country. 100’s of millions of dollars get spent in just png let alone the pacific by he Aus gov and by leveraging that relationship we could teach kids, females and males the right way to act. Stop the violence, promote education, std programs, female empowerment programs etc. Australia are currently spending millions on a undersea internet cable. The Nrl could provide nrl games and educational programs to the masses via there online media department and receive large funding grants from both Aus and png gov.

The issues that face png are issues that rugby league can help fix. By having a png team with enough conditions in place could be massive for png’s growth. Hell, even the Aus gov could fund the team if its shown that It will create enough benefits for the png population. As for player talent, I see no problem there. Png team don’t need Aus players they have there own.

After the inclusion of Perth and Brisbane 2, the superstars of the Nrl will be spread around 18 teams not 16. The growth of the game will be turbo charged and png and nz2/pacific team won’t require too many Aus players at all.

Png if done right could be incredibly huge for Nrl and the png people. The issues that a png team face can all be mitigated with the right processes put in place.

Pommy

Coach
I think most on here are looking at the short problems that png have and not the bigger picture. Yes security, fraud/corruption, crime, female abuse, and poverty are all issue that face png. But this still doesn’t change the fact that rugby league is a religion there. The longer term benefits that Rugby league has, is the potential to be a complete game changer for png as a whole. I personally think the Nrl should create a department (or significantly increase-if one exists) that looks after overseas programs in line with Dfat and Aus gov trade representatives. Nrl has the chance to become bigger than rugby league. Actually educate, and teach png people the important values of a normal 1st world country. 100’s of millions of dollars get spent in just png let alone the pacific by he Aus gov and by leveraging that relationship we could teach kids, females and males the right way to act. Stop the violence, promote education, std programs, female empowerment programs etc. Australia are currently spending millions on a undersea internet cable. The Nrl could provide nrl games and educational programs to the masses via there online media department and receive large funding grants from both Aus and png gov.

The issues that face png are issues that rugby league can help fix. By having a png team with enough conditions in place could be massive for png’s growth. Hell, even the Aus gov could fund the team if its shown that It will create enough benefits for the png population. As for player talent, I see no problem there. Png team don’t need Aus players they have there own.

After the inclusion of Perth and Brisbane 2, the superstars of the Nrl will be spread around 18 teams not 16. The growth of the game will be turbo charged and png and nz2/pacific team won’t require too many Aus players at all.

Png if done right could be incredibly huge for Nrl and the png people. The issues that a png team face can all be mitigated with the right processes put in place.

A few things with this post

1. The NRL dont want rugby league to be bigger than the NRL.

2. Do you really think non league fans who hold positions in the government are going to be in favour of throwing tax payers money at league instead of AFL, Union, football etc?