What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

POLL: Should BA sign Jarryd Hayne ?

Should BA sign Jarryd Hayne ?

• Yes, pay him his $1.2m.

• Yes, but pay him no more than $850k

• Yes, but pay him no more than Norman & Moses

• Yes, but only if he takes a massive pay cut. Under $650k

• No thanks, we have moved on.

• No way, he is poison.

Results are only viewable after voting.

bartman

Immortal
And if we fork out for Hayne and all his inconsistencies and baggage, we'll have less money to spend on those vital forward roles/gaps.

No thanks to Jarryd - unless he can suddenly play a decent game at hooker?

Last edited:

Avenger

Immortal
And if we fork out for Hayne and all his inconsistencies and baggage, we'll have less money to spend on those vital forward roles/gaps.

No thanks to Jarryd - unless he can suddenly play a decent game at hooker?
What's phantom's opinion on Hayne?

strider

Post Whore
I think the question everyone needs to ask themselves is, which backline is more likely to win a premiership:
1. French
2. Hoffman
3. Jennings
4. Gutherson
5. Someone other than Radradra
6. Norman
7. Moses
OR:
1. Hayne
2. French
3. Gutherson
4. Jennings
5. Hoffman
6. Norman
7. Moses

I pick number two.
That 2nd team is no good ... Gutherson is not a 3 - he's definitely a 4

Bazal

Post Whore
This is key.

Depends which forward we sign and what hooker we acquire if any, I hope we are still looking at buying both a hooker and a prop.

Well if rumours are to be believed we have the prop in Evans.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I hate the way the salary cap has made people accountants first and footy fans second.
Yeah it's sad. I remember when I was as dumb as the rest of you merkins I used to get excited if we signed a gun player. Now I'm wondering how much we must be paying him and whether or not he's worth it.

Basil Brush

Juniors
Yeah it's sad. I remember when I was as dumb as the rest of you merkins I used to get excited if we signed a gun player. Now I'm wondering how much we must be paying him and whether or not he's worth it.
The guns are worth whatever you can pay.

Jason Tuamalolo is a great example. 23 years old and definitely worth a 10 year deal of $10mio.

It now looks like the knights are getting a steal with Ponga at 600k.

In terms of Parra, appears we are doing the right thing with a number of players like Brown, Matagi, Kaysa, Gutho, Taka and possibly Norman after overpaying players for years.

Only bloke we may be overpaying is Jenko but even that is questionable.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The guns are worth whatever you can pay.

Jason Tuamalolo is a great example. 23 years old and definitely worth a 10 year deal of $10mio.

It now looks like the knights are getting a steal with Ponga at 600k.

In terms of Parra, appears we are doing the right thing with a number of players like Brown, Matagi, Kaysa, Gutho, Taka and possibly Norman after overpaying players for years.

Only bloke we may be overpaying is Jenko but even that is questionable.
Yeah a bit of a difference to when we were paying overs for the likes of Lussick and Harrison to come here.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah a bit of a difference to when we were paying overs for the likes of Lussick and Harrison to come here.
Lussick and Harrison weren't the problem. At least they were worth something - they could defend at NRL level, and the max we were paying over their value would've been $100k. With Hayne's huge salary we could've been paying $300k+ over what he was worth. But like Lussick and Harrison he was at least NRL standard.

But Sandow was the one killing our cap. Whatever we were paying him, it turns out he was worth nothing after the NRL shitcanned the shoulder charge.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Lussick and Harrison weren't the problem. At least they were worth something - they could defend at NRL level, and the max we were paying over their value would've been $100k. With Hayne's huge salary we could've been paying $300k+ over what he was worth. But like Lussick and Harrison he was at least NRL standard.

But Sandow was the one killing our cap. Whatever we were paying him, it turns out he was worth nothing after the NRL shitcanned the shoulder charge.
Yeah it was all Haynes salaries fault, nothing to do with everyone in the whole entire squad was on overs.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah it was all Haynes salaries fault, nothing to do with everyone in the whole entire squad was on overs.
If you have to pay overs you have to pay overs. Assuming an average of 20% extra per man (pick a different number if you prefer) the bloke on the biggest salary will also be on the most over value. If Hayne was worth $1M then he was on $200k overs. If Harrison was worth $100k then he was on $20k over value. One of those hurt our cap a lot more than the other.

It's all supply-and-demand.

Bazal

Post Whore
If you have to pay overs you have to pay overs. Assuming an average of 20% extra per man (pick a different number if you prefer) the bloke on the biggest salary will also be on the most over value. If Hayne was worth $1M then he was on $200k overs. If Harrison was worth $100k then he was on $20k over value. One of those hurt our cap a lot more than the other.

It's all supply-and-demand.

I'd rather pay 20% overs for Hayne than some of the not first grade standard plodders we had on the books.

Yeah, Hayne was on overs....but when you've got five or six or seven blokes like Ryan and Harrison and whoever earning overs (in some cases "big" overs for their quality) I'd argue that has a more detrimental affect on the squad balance. And then Sandow being an absolute waste as the kicker in the whole mess

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'd rather pay 20% overs for Hayne than some of the not first grade standard plodders we had on the books.
When you're forced to pay overs, and especially paying over 10% of your cap to one player, it follows that you will have fewer than 17 first graders in your top 25.
Yeah, Hayne was on overs....but when you've got five or six or seven blokes like Ryan and Harrison and whoever earning overs (in some cases "big" overs for their quality)
But we don't know who was on big overs or not, because we don't know what their contracts were like. Therefore we have to assume an equal percentage loading per player. That means your best players are on the biggest overs. Sure that's not necessarily how it works for any given player but over an entire squad it all comes out in the wash.
I'd argue that has a more detrimental affect on the squad balance. And then Sandow being an absolute waste as the kicker in the whole mess
I think a weak squad having a player like Hayne (or Tedesco) is far more detrimental to balance than anything else.

Parra

Referee
I enjoyed the team being in the grand final in 2009

I have no idea what some of you enjoy.

Latest posts