What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD side Game 2

Dazzat

First Grade
Sweating on DCE at least keeps the media away from Hunt a little.

Hunt will do well. He can take a back seat to JT a little. His kicking game is not that long, so I imagine Mal will tell him to keep it simple - probably just linking the forwards, some short kicks in attack, and backing himself a few times to run (he leads the competition halfbacks in line breaks I believe).

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
If the QLD defence can dominate like they did in the second half of Game 1 and tire out the Blues defence in turn, I can see Hunt having a field day with line breaks.

Shorty

Staff member
DCE will play.

Hunt will be on the bench just in case.

Yeah I have to wonder if it's all a smoke screen but if DCE hasn't played with them all week then I think he was ruled out a while ago and they're trying to ambush with Hunt.

Dazzat

First Grade
Hunt to go down in training this afternoon and Chris Sandow to be rushed in to the side ...

davi

Juniors
It's been reported that the backrow will be:

11. Gillet
12. Thaiday
13. Guerra

Bench:

14. McQueen
15. Teo
16. Lillyman
17. Taylor

DCE & Hunt will be 7 or nothing. Mal wants 4 forwards on the bench

That's not what has been reported today- Mal Meninga has said that Daly Cherry-Evans plays then Ben Hunt will be on the bench. But if Hunt starts at halfback then Meninga is going to go with four forwards. Cherry-Evans went fine with the training run today looks like he is going to play.

"In my mind, I like to go with four forwards but if DCE plays and there is some doubt on whether he can get through the game we will look at it (a utility spot) with Ben," Meninga said.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8861198

Dazzat

First Grade
It doesn't make sense to me. So DCE will have 1-1/2 training runs at halfback for Queensland, and is the preferred option? While Hunt has practices all week?

Not sure about that.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
If I was Mal, (Thank the funk I'm not) I would start with Hunt and DCE on the interchange. When the heat comes out of the game and things open up bit, I would bring him on at 20-30mins and see how long he can go.

I wouldn't be burning DCE's knee too early. I'll be surprised if he plays 80, and if he does I think they were foxing it all along. As quoted earlier, Mal has to take an alternative to DCE if he plays. While McQueen can sub into the back line (Probably Inglis to 5/8, Thurston to half), they still lose quite a lot by moving Inglis away from attacking NSW's new combo on their right side.

As a Manly and NSW fan, I hope DCE doesn't play. I'm far more worried about him at half for Queensland in terms of the damage he can do and also getting further injured. If Gillett holds the pass from DCE in game 1, QLD win. Hodges is a lazy prick and often left DCE to take a hit up than try and get back for a pass.

lockyno1

Post Whore
It doesn't make sense to me. So DCE will have 1-1/2 training runs at halfback for Queensland, and is the preferred option? While Hunt has practices all week?

Not sure about that.

DCE is the better player period. If he thinks he can play and Daly will know this...then I'd back him to produce more than I would back Hunt to do the same at this stage. As good as Hunt has been this year for us, Cherry Evans has won Origins, won a Clive Churchil Medal, and a premiership. He plays big games well and especially at the Olympic Stadium!

davi

Juniors
DCE is the better player period. If he thinks he can play and Daly will know this...then I'd back him to produce more than I would back Hunt to do the same at this stage. As good as Hunt has been this year for us, Cherry Evans has won Origins, won a Clive Churchil Medal, and a premiership. He plays big games well and especially at the Olympic Stadium!

Yeah I see what your saying and add to that Daly Cherry-Evans played 70 minutes at half back in game 1. He would of picked up a thing or two from that. But I still think waiting out for Cherry-Evans has been too costly. I think they should of had a deadline a week before the game on who is in the final team. The uncertainty of 'will he or wont he' can't be good for the preparation.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Yeah I see what your saying and add to that Daly Cherry-Evans played 70 minutes at half back in game 1. He would of picked up a thing or two from that. But I still think waiting out for Cherry-Evans has been too costly. I think they should of had a deadline a week before the game on who is in the final team. The uncertainty of 'will he or wont he' can't be good for the preparation.

You always give your key players time. Would have done the same for Inglis, Smith, Slater, etc. Cherry Evans has played enough with Thurston, will have yesterdays session plus a run tomorrow plus the 70mins in Origin 1.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
A lot has been made that he can't train in halfback. It isn't like he hasn't trained or played there with these guys before. He did go on tour for the World Cup and played halfback.

Dazzat

First Grade
Let's face it DCE put in a poor performance in Game I. He looked lost at times as did Queensland. Our outside backs received little or no ball - and Inglis was quiet as a result.

DCE admitted after the game that this was because he didn't train in the position before the game, and nothing much has changed for game II.

Also, Mal opting for Hunt on the bench shows me that they aren't 100% convinced of DCE's fitness. It will be interesting to see what happens.

oikee

Juniors
Queenslanders,,,,,,All fit and Cherry-ripe to go.
Clean off the baseball bats, grab the humble pie out of the hurt locker.
NSW have opened up a can of whoop-ass and Queensland is about to take them to a whole new world, Disneyland.
Smug will never look so glum when Queensland evens the series and the underdogs prevail.

Lets hope Watmough and Gallen retire after this one. The game will never grow with those two mellons on tv along with comments that two year olds find offensive.
We got diss, bring it.

Dragon2010

First Grade
WOW ,all 3 fit to play. Who`d a thought that was gonna happen

Fit =/= 100% match fit. They will enter the game with a few minor bumps and bruises no doubt.

Queenslanders,,,,,,All fit and Cherry-ripe to go.
Clean off the baseball bats, grab the humble pie out of the hurt locker.
NSW have opened up a can of whoop-ass and Queensland is about to take them to a whole new world, Disneyland.
Smug will never look so glum when Queensland evens the series and the underdogs prevail.

Lets hope Watmough and Gallen retire after this one. The game will never grow with those two mellons on tv along with comments that two year olds find offensive.
We got diss, bring it.

:lol: Okay, buddy.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
DCE admitted after the game that this was because he didn't train in the position before the game, and nothing much has changed for game II.

Also, Mal opting for Hunt on the bench shows me that they aren't 100% convinced of DCE's fitness. It will be interesting to see what happens.

thing is, his main position is 7. whilst he may not know all the angles/plays, surely he knows enough to get his players and himself into position to try and do something. he looked lost and had a shit game as a result. if we had thrown cameron smith into 7 and smith was shit then i could accept the "didnt train in the position" argument.

if DCE plays then Hunt has to be on the bench. they surely cant take a player who hasnt been able to train for 10 days into an important match without a backup. if he goes down after 10mins then they're f**ked.
personally i think mcqueen should get dropped off the bench

QLD would have been even more stuffed if DCE wasn't on the bench. Even though it's not ideal, it's still better than not having someone there. If NSW lost one of their halves like we did in game 1 they would have been even more f**ked than we were. Taylor would also be a straight swap for Papali with Thaiday being a straight swap for Parker. If lillyman comes into the team it should be at McQueens expense who has had a poor season and game 1 and should never have been picked.

LOL "we"...and you call yourself a kiwi.

Dazzat

First Grade
I am a huge DCE fan. Let's hope he has a great game.

I also hope Taylor does well. Not the sharpest tool in the shed, but a great talent.

Latest posts