What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland having a cry

Vic Mackey

Referee
No quotes directly from keary

I find it funny that he moved to nsw at a younger age then hunt, inglis, thorn, teo, Papalli etc etc moved to qld but apparently he should play for qld

Anyways as others have said he isn't that good. There are much better halve in the game his age and younger ATM so I doubt it will come up

mxlegend99

Referee
The rules apply to both teams, and are in place because of ridiculous selections like Greg Inglis playing for QLD, and James Tamou playing for NSW. THe new rules are an improvement, but at the end of the day the only way you will remove the grey area is if you live up to the name and make the game strictly State of ORIGIN. You play for the state you were born in, or not at all.

Sure we would have missed out on some greats over the years. But the game wouldn't be the farce that it is today either. It makes absolutely zero sense to make a game called State of ORIGIN, and then have a million different rules and technicalities for eligibility when only one is needed.

Both teams are guilty of ridiculous selections. Hence the current rules that apply to both teams. The current rules aren't one state trying to cheat and prevent players like Keary from representing their state of birth, they are to prevent ridiculous selections like a NSW born and bred Greg Inglis playing for Queensland, and a Kiwi who has lived in the country for 5 minutes from representing NSW.

But everytime you get technical with the rules to prevent previous cases from happening again, you will create one that has odd effects like it did here. Only one way to prevent these things, and that's to have it 100% black and white. Play for where you were born, or not at all. I guarantee that 90% of players who happily play for the other state and love it just as much... afterall both states pay $30k for an appearance and that's what the players care about most.

BranVan3000

Coach
Nice. I've heard Keary is prodigy when it comes to the sack race and egg and spoon balancing so he should pass NSW selection tests with flying colours

BranVan3000

Coach
No quotes directly from keary

I find it funny that he moved to nsw at a younger age then hunt, inglis, thorn, teo, Papalli etc etc moved to qld but apparently he should play for qld

Anyways as others have said he isn't that good. There are much better halve in the game his age and younger ATM so I doubt it will come up

Yeah like who?

Spud

Juniors
I agree with el diablo and co even though I'm a qld fan. He is a blue the ruling has been made this just looks like sooking to me and I don't like it. It comes across as very two faced.

Absolutely the QRL should accept the decision made. If Kreary has a problem with it I'm sure he will speak up

DJShaksta

First Grade
I agree with el diablo and co even though I'm a qld fan. He is a blue the ruling has been made this just looks like sooking to me and I don't like it. It comes across as very two faced.

This.
The rule was changed to avoid this crap.
Mal and the QRL need to STFU.

nrlnrl

First Grade
"Provision on application may be made to players who were born and resided the majority of their life in one state but played all Rugby League in the other state."

Keary has lived the majority of his life in his home state of Qld. Seems pretty clear cut to me. Nice try NSW. He'll be back in Maroon by the end of the week.

everyone doesn't agree on it, but this is the deciding factor from the current eligibility rule :

"The Blues complained to the ARL Commission who ruled the 21-year-old was a New South Welshman because four of the six eligibility questions came up Blue, with only his place of birth being Maroon."

Son of Minto

Bench
The provision is part of the rules. When its granted and Keary is rightly representing Qld, no rules will have been broken.

BranVan3000

Coach
Well I was at the tigers norths nsw cup game when a bloke 3 years his younger completely schooled him
Brooks does look like a real talent

I've seen Keary have some astounding games, and some ones where he needs to up his consistency. Which is why he was in NSW Cup most of the year. I'm sure similar could be said of Brooks.

Vic Mackey

Referee
The funny thing is qld would still whinge if it was Ben pomeroy that couldnt play for qld. It doesn't matter who it is, it's all about how unjust everything is towards them.

BennyV

Referee
Brooks does look like a real talent

I've seen Keary have some astounding games, and some ones where he needs to up his consistency. Which is why he was in NSW Cup most of the year. I'm sure similar could be said of Brooks.

Sidenote: I was of the understanding that even Brooks wasn't the top halfback in his age bracket - prior to the media love-in, he was third string halfback for NSW behind Mitch Cornish and Shannon Crook. With any luck, good times ahead for NSW and we won't need to worry about Keary anyway!

mxlegend99

Referee
According to the rules he is a NSWelshman. The same rules apply to both teams. In a few years I'm sure there will be a couple more cases that are similar, and the rules will yet again be modified to fix those situations, creating many more possibilities that seem ridiculous... but until they happen you wouldn't have even thought them possible.

It's funny seeing them try and claim him as a Queenslander because he was born in Queensland, when they have had a pretty long list of players born in NSW over the years:

Willie Tonga (Canberra)
Greg Inglis (NSW)
Israel Folau (NSW)
Mat Rogers (NSW)
Sam Thaiday (NSW)
Matt Gillett (NSW)
Scott Sattler (NSW)
Michael Crocker (NSW)
Chris Flannery (NSW)
Paul Bowman (NSW)
Robbie O'Davis (NSW)
Julian O'Neil (NSW)
Billy Moore (NSW)

Probably more aswell. They tell us to get over it when Greg Inglis under the old rules and should be playing for NSW. But any time there's even the smallest link to a player being a Queenslander, they have a big sook and cry that it's unfair. Nevermind the fact that the rules are the same for both teams.

Honestly I don't care who Keary plays for... not sure he'll ever be good enough to represent either state. He certainly won't be the guy who fixes the halves problems for NSW. I doubt he's at the top of the list to partner DCE for Queensland either. I would imagine Barba or Milford would get that job depending on who plays halves for Broncos in 2015.

According to the rules he is a NSWelshman. The same rules apply to both teams. In a few years I'm sure there will be a couple more cases that are similar, and the rules will yet again be modified to fix those situations, creating many more possibilities that seem ridiculous... but until they happen you wouldn't have even thought them possible.

It's funny seeing them try and claim him as a Queenslander because he was born in Queensland, when they have had a pretty long list of players born in NSW over the years:

Willie Tonga (Canberra)
Greg Inglis (NSW)
Israel Folau (NSW)
Mat Rogers (NSW)
Sam Thaiday (NSW)
Matt Gillett (NSW)
Scott Sattler (NSW)
Michael Crocker (NSW)
Chris Flannery (NSW)
Paul Bowman (NSW)
Robbie O'Davis (NSW)
Julian O'Neil (NSW)
Billy Moore (NSW)

Probably more aswell. They tell us to get over it when Greg Inglis under the old rules and should be playing for NSW. But any time there's even the smallest link to a player being a Queenslander, they have a big sook and cry that it's unfair. Nevermind the fact that the rules are the same for both teams.

Honestly I don't care who Keary plays for... not sure he'll ever be good enough to represent either state. He certainly won't be the guy who fixes the halves problems for NSW. I doubt he's at the top of the list to partner DCE for Queensland either. I would imagine Barba or Milford would get that job depending on who plays halves for Broncos in 2015.

It is irrelevant whether he is the answer to NSW's halves problem or not, Pearce will be chosen for many years to come. He has about 10 more years in first grade and if he is breathing he will be in a Blues jersey.