What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs v Wigan @ Sat 17th Feb, 7:45 kick off

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Careful mate, you'll get squealed at for suggesting Tracey ahead of Doueihi.

Agreed though, I tend to think these trial games are best served to give our up and coming blokes some extended game time and just giving our more experienced guys (Inglis/Sam/Reynolds etc) enough time to shake off the cobwebs.

Especially given how packed with younger talent our squad is.

I think it’s a great chance for some players to prove themselves as well. If we have to go with just 17 I’d rock

1. Arthars
2. AJ
3. Hiroti/Jennings/Burns
4. Graham
5. Kennar
6. Walker
7. Tracey
8. Turgess/Gurgess only 1 of them
9. Cook
10. Musgrove
11. Fuimaono
12. Crichton
13. Murray

14. Doueihi
15. Turner
16. Nicholls
17. Tatola

I believe this is a well rounded side that definitely has the ability to be threatening. I cut in Doueihi for Sutton due to the age factor and I cut out one of the twins because I don’t feel like we need both of them. Doueihi can come on for Tracey/Walker and show us what he can do. I have turner covering the second row as I believe he is best when running down the edges compared to the middle.

AJ and Arthars should also swap at halftime so we can see how they both go.

That leaves Reynolds, GI, Sutton, Surgess and Gagai out and doesn’t make us look that terrible. I want to see us play the back 5 that we’re probably gonna play throughout the season though. They’re all young and fit and I doubt the risk of injury would be that high compared to our older players. This was fun!

Rabbitoad

Juniors
I think it’s a great chance for some players to prove themselves as well. If we have to go with just 17 I’d rock

1. Arthars
2. AJ
3. Hiroti/Jennings/Burns
4. Graham
5. Kennar
6. Walker
7. Tracey
9. Cook
10. Musgrove
11. Fuimaono
12. Crichton
13. Murray

14. Doueihi
15. Turner
16. Nicholls
17. Tatola

I believe this is a well rounded side that definitely has the ability to be threatening. I cut in Doueihi for Sutton due to the age factor and I cut out one of the twins because I don’t feel like we need both of them. Doueihi can come on for Tracey/Walker and show us what he can do. I have turner covering the second row as I believe he is best when running down the edges compared to the middle.

That leaves Reynolds, GI, Sutton, Surgess and Gagai out and doesn’t make us look that terrible. I want to see us play the back 5 that we’re probably gonna play throughout the season though. They’re all young and fit and I doubt the risk of injury would be that high compared to our older players. This was fun!
Agree with most of that, but I much prefer Turner at prop than at second row.

When he's playing on an edge he has a habit of going missing a bit in attack and is pretty limited in what he can do. At prop his role is simplified and he makes a surprising amount of post contact metres. I think he could become the workrate prop we always wanted David Tyrrell to be to compliment our bigger, powerful (and less mobile) props.

Wouldn't mind seeing Talakai given some time at second row. I think he could have a breakout year in 2018 if given the chance. His physical strength is insane.

Would REALLY like to see how Campbell Graham goes at left centre before the season starts though. He looks a lot more comfortable there than on the wing and he's clearly got the talent.

Rabbits20

Immortal

1. Arthars
2. AJ
3. Hiroti/Jennings/Burns
4. Graham
5. Kennar
6. Walker
7. Tracey
9. Cook
10. Musgrove
11. Fuimaono
12. Crichton
13. Murray

14. Doueihi
15. Turner
16. Nicholls
17. Tatola

Sorry I don't like Turner in the back row.... he goes missing far too much there...

He is better used in the middle where he has no choice but to be more involved hit up wise....

I have a feeling Angus won't play either in this one.... who cares about him anyway the traitor. I think we will sit him out and play either Britt or Talakai in there..... I can't see both these guys missing out....

Call me mad but I don't have Angus starting when the season starts.... I tend to agree with burgibash in having him off the bench....

AnthonyD

Juniors
A rough attempt at how i feel we might shape up if we're allowed an extended bench...
1. GI/ 14. AJ
2. Graham
3. Hunt
4. Hiroti
5. Kennar
6. Cody/15. Douehi
7. AR/16. Tracey
8. George/17. Tom
9. Farah/18. Cook
10. Musgrove/19. Nicholls
11. Fuimaono/20. Leuluai
12. Crichton/21. Britt
13. Murray/9. Farah

Before anyone jumps down my throat about Farah being ahead of Cook, it's so Farah can relieve Murray at lock in the second half. Cook would play 50+ at hooker.

I really doubt we’ll see any of the World Cup players or GI

AnthonyD

Juniors
I reckon he'd get a light runout. 30 minutes max.
I feel it could be dangerous playing a weak side against them, they'll be a week or so into their season so will be coming at us strong. That said, the fringe players would play a lot more minutes than the certain starters, it'd only be a light runout for guys like Cody, AR and the likes to get their hands on a competitive footy.

You have to remember that they also play Hull out here in Wollongong so they are going to be careful not to over extend any of their stars, I think the extended bench idea, unlimited interchange is a given

southsport

First Grade
Will it be on tv? I kind of feel it defeats the purpose of the matchups if it's not being beamed here and abroad.

Live on sky sports for UK viewers. I think Souths Juniors will have it on live.

World Club Series
  • South Sydney Rabbitohs vs Wigan Warriors
  • 12:00am Saturday 17th February
Live on
3839-Logo.svg

southsport

First Grade
Sorry I don't like Turner in the back row.... he goes missing far too much there...

He is better used in the middle where he has no choice but to be more involved hit up wise....

I have a feeling Angus won't play either in this one.... who cares about him anyway the traitor. I think we will sit him out and play either Britt or Talakai in there..... I can't see both these guys missing out....

Call me mad but I don't have Angus starting when the season starts.... I tend to agree with burgibash in having him off the bench....

Yeah but if Seibs is thinking of playing Turner in the second row it's a good chance to have a look at him.

callmack1

Staff member
You have to remember that they also play Hull out here in Wollongong so they are going to be careful not to over extend any of their stars, I think the extended bench idea, unlimited interchange is a given
Yea good point. Welcome to the forum too mate.

Is the Hull vs Wigan game before or after the game with us?

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Agree with most of that, but I much prefer Turner at prop than at second row.

When he's playing on an edge he has a habit of going missing a bit in attack and is pretty limited in what he can do. At prop his role is simplified and he makes a surprising amount of post contact metres. I think he could become the workrate prop we always wanted David Tyrrell to be to compliment our bigger, powerful (and less mobile) props.

Wouldn't mind seeing Talakai given some time at second row. I think he could have a breakout year in 2018 if given the chance. His physical strength is insane.

Would REALLY like to see how Campbell Graham goes at left centre before the season starts though. He looks a lot more comfortable there than on the wing and he's clearly got the talent.

You’re completely right about turner going missing in the second row but it completely baffles me because when he trains there he runs such good lines. I honestly believe he could be a try scoring machine at second row. Maybe it’s a confidence thing after the whole neck injury? I know that’d mess me up mentally.

I like talakai as well but I swear to god he’s big enough to be a prop. I actually think he could be an insane player when he fixes up his lateral defence. I wouldn’t mind seeing him get a run either.

Graham is definitely a star in the making. Once he fills out into his body he could be an absolute beast in the centres. From what I’ve read Seibold thinks his best position is centre too so I think he’s a good chance of playing inside Kennar.

All in all I’m so keen for this trial. It’ll be a good indication of the change in style we’re gonna play.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
You’re completely right about turner going missing in the second row but it completely baffles me because when he trains there he runs such good lines. I honestly believe he could be a try scoring machine at second row. Maybe it’s a confidence thing after the whole neck injury? I know that’d mess me up mentally.
Everything he can do he does with great proficiency. I just think he's limited in his options in attack. When he's running lines off the first receiver he's top notch, but when those chances aren't coming he doesn't seem to know what to do.

That's why I like him at prop. Strong defender and all he has to do is hit the ball up one off the ruck.

Latest posts