What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders appoint club historian

I think Raiderdave should be appealing this decision. Canberra are missing a unique opportunity to put Raiderdave's unique writing style to good use and widespread acclaim.

TheDalek079

Bench
can't wait. We need an indepth story about the signing of Dave Shillington, their best signing of the last 20 years

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
haha @ the haters

Canberra has an awesome rich history.

Sheens, Bennett, Meninga, Daley, Stuart, Chicka, too many, dude will have heaps to write.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Dr Headon has been engaged for six months, in the first instance, to do some preliminary research. During this time, he hopes to interview a number of the club's greatest players and coaches, as well as encouraging the many true believers in the Raiders' fan base to get actively involved in the project by alerting him to their treasured private collections of material and personal stories.
Paging skeepe :crazy:

DiegoNT

First Grade
haha @ the haters

Canberra has an awesome rich history.

Sheens, Bennett, Meninga, Daley, Stuart, Chicka, too many, dude will have heaps to write.

1982-1994 will be intersting to hear about
1995-2015 not so much

I hope he manages to interview both of the Raiders' 2015 season members and the other dozen members of their home crowd. It would be good to get the average fan's perspective.

Card Shark

Immortal
Paging skeepe :crazy:

:lol:

Yes a great club, sad it's been dry for a while.

The game needs a strong Raiders. Good to see them on the improve.

Made me look foolish at finals time however, as I predicted them to make the 8, 6 weeks out, with a very soft draw but they capitulated.

mave

Coach
It will be interesting to see this guy's take on the Super League period regarding the Raiders history.

Big broom, even bigger rug is my guess.

mave

Coach
Or their alleged salary cap issues during thr golden years of the late 80's and early 90's.

Sweep sweep.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Or their alleged salary cap issues during thr golden years of the late 80's and early 90's.

Sweep sweep.

Since when was the salary cap issue swept under the rug?

Anyway, good idea. Hope some of the older clubs do something similar.

Last edited:

Chief_Chujo

First Grade

Sweep sweep.
This f**king shit again. We went over in the FIRST year of the cap because of rep bonuses. It was nothing like the dogs or storm rorts.

langpark

First Grade
This is a fantastic idea and I would hope all clubs do the same, especially the older clubs like Roosters and Rabbitohs!

Geez, is there a single thread in the NRL forum that doesn't immediately turn sarcastic/into an argument?

Ok, as the first derailer of this thread, I will ask a serious question: don't all clubs have histories written? I was genuinely surprised that Canberra is doing this because I suppose I had assumed that such a book would exist already. I guess I was thinking that other clubs would have things like Jack Galloway's excellent "Broncos - The Team To Beat" book.

How many club history books are there?

TheDalek079

Bench
Easts have a wonderful book called From Where the Sun Rises detailing the first 100 years of the club, written by Heads, Armstrong and Dave Middleton.

petty souffs have a book on why they hate everyone

langpark

First Grade
Ok, as the first derailer of this thread, I will ask a serious question: don't all clubs have histories written? I was genuinely surprised that Canberra is doing this because I suppose I had assumed that such a book would exist already. I guess I was thinking that other clubs would have things like Jack Galloway's excellent "Broncos - The Team To Beat" book.

How many club history books are there?
This is what I'd like to know too. I'm sure some more than others. But as the more thorough it can be at each club, the better. I'm talking, stats, photos, match programs, any scrap of info from the past. The more the better. The more time passes, the harder this sort of thing becomes, so it's good that they are acting now.

Also, I would love to see similar moves happen regarding International Rugby League.