What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders appoint club historian

The English do some great IRL books -- Australia not so much. I've got a great one on the history of every RLWC. Check the Book Depository. There is some gold in there.

macca_saint

Juniors
Ok, as the first derailer of this thread, I will ask a serious question: don't all clubs have histories written? I was genuinely surprised that Canberra is doing this because I suppose I had assumed that such a book would exist already. I guess I was thinking that other clubs would have things like Jack Galloway's excellent "Broncos - The Team To Beat" book.

How many club history books are there?

There is a great book called "Never Before, Never Again" about St George winning 11 premierships in a row.
Written by a bloke called Larry Writer funnily enough..

Guess you could say he was born a Writer.

S01E05E.jpg

"Champagne Comedy!" :lol:

So much automatic and predictable hate for a club which has given so much to the game. I don't understand it.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great move by the Raiders. All clubs should have an in-house full time historian imo.

(Might also mean I get a gig lol)

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, as the first derailer of this thread, I will ask a serious question: don't all clubs have histories written? I was genuinely surprised that Canberra is doing this because I suppose I had assumed that such a book would exist already. I guess I was thinking that other clubs would have things like Jack Galloway's excellent "Broncos - The Team To Beat" book.

Prior to this decision, no club had an employee who was an official historian.

Most clubs either hire Middleton as a consultant, or they have unofficial historians (mostly fans of the club volunteering their time)

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Or their alleged salary cap issues during thr golden years of the late 80's and early 90's.

Sweep sweep.
This recent history stuff isn't what I focus on, so I'm happy to be corrected here.

Pretty sure the cap was introduced in 1989 and Canberra were deemed to have exceeded it for the 1990 and 1991 seasons (not 1989 though), during the 1991 season. This saw them loose a heap of players for 1992.

If memory serves correct, they copped a fine too.

The cap back then was a different beast to what it is now. Back then, it only covered marquee players, or full-time professionals I think.

The NSWRL were just as much to blame for the Raiders cap issue in 1990-91, given the cap they introduced had loopholes so big it was practically pointless.

At the end of the 1991 season Canberra shed 19 players and bought 3 with 16 making their first grade debut

At the end of the 1992 season Canberra lost a further 18 players, bought 0 with 10 making their first grade debut

The only player they signed from another club between 1993 and 1997 were Peter Benson and David Shaw

It wasn't until 1998 that they became active in the player market again.

From 1992 until the end of Superleague, Canberra had to rely entirely on young players with no first grade experience and whoever they had left over that hadn't retired along the way to see them through.

In comparison the Bulldogs lost 6 players after the 2002 cap cheating
The Storm lost 11 players after their 2010 cap cheating

roofromoz

First Grade

Penrith have 2 - Bound For Glory released in 1992, and Men In Black released in 2008.

nomis88

Juniors
Heard on the grapevine that the Sharks are to appoint a curator for their trophy room. Good to see otherwise things may go astray.