What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

simmo1

First Grade
He hasn't been worse though. He's had a vastly worse squad to work with and unable to use all of the cap.

Furthermore, he beat us.

Do you think Taylor would've done better with the Knights

The Knights have a shit squad, but apart from Sione Matautia and maybe Ross, none of their players showed any significant improvement, and that's on the coach.

Their attitude in defence was even worse than ours.

Brown was an ordinary coach at St George, and I've seen nothing to convince me anythings changed.

Tigerm

First Grade
Because our options were limited due to knifing our last coach.

Brown was the other option and he has been worse.

Anthony Griffin was another one who was interviewed.

But it is my understanding, that Go & Taylor's misses are mates, so there wasn't much independant thinking on Taylor, it seems.

IMO, Taylor's ego against Farah cost us a spot in the top 8.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Knights have a shit squad, but apart from Sione Matautia and maybe Ross, none of their players showed any significant improvement, and that's on the coach.

Brown was an ordinary coach at St George, and I've seen nothing to convince me anythings changed.
Brown is no ordinary coach. Sure he was poor at the Dragons, EIGHT bloody years ago.

Has had plenty of success in England with sides that were perennial failures. He turned Huddersfield from also rans into a top 4 side that were still playing well and in the top 4 sides for 3 years after he left.

He finally got St Helens some silverware after a long recent history of choking.

That Knights side improved throughout the year and that was clear enough to see.

Taylor is a worse coach than Brown. Without any question.

simmo1

First Grade
Brown is no ordinary coach. Sure he was poor at the Dragons, EIGHT bloody years ago.

Has had plenty of success in England with sides that were perennial failures. He turned Huddersfield from also rans into a top 4 side that were still playing well and in the top 4 sides for 3 years after he left.

He finally got St Helens some silverware after a long recent history of choking.

That Knights side improved throughout the year and that was clear enough to see.

Taylor is a worse coach than Brown. Without any question.

I don't think success in England necessarily translates to success in NRL, the two competitions are completely different. Different style of play which has been proven plenty of times to not translate well over here. Its probably about as relevant as Taylor's time as Roosters assistant coach.

Certainly not convinced the Knights improved. They had tendencies to leak plenty of points in short spaces of time, and this seemed just as common at the start of the year than it was at the end.

EDIT: It is his first year at the Knights though. Probably be a bit fairer to rate a coach after at least two seasons with a team.

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
I think some people in this thread need to take a step back at look at this whole thing with fresh eyes. Yes Taylor made some dud decisions that have made us all question his coaching ability but you can't say this year was any worse than any other season in the past 4 years. We were 2 points shy of making it into finals ffs. Give the bloke a fair go. He inherited a roster in complete dissary with cap issues coming out the arse. His 2nd season he had everyone working the way he wanted and we almost made it.

If we don't make the 8 next year then you can say he got a fair go and didn't get us where we needed to be

Tiger05

First Grade
If we don't make the 8 next year then you can say he got a fair go and didn't get us where we needed to be

I don't think we have a choice on this. I just hope they get rid of him if we don't have a good year next year. Top 8 at a bare minimum.

Shredder

Juniors
The reality with Taylor is this. We had trouble finding a good coach to start with. Everyone says we have fantastic juniors and that we would be a great club to coach, but if we cant lure a decent coach, that could only be because we dont pay enough, the prospective coaches dont like our facilities, or our board.

Its easy to say get rid of Taylor, but honestly, who could we get that would be better that would WANT to come here?

Rock and a hard place.

I think Taylor has done OK, probably as good as Potter would have, but we cant keep sacking coaches......

Vic Mackey

Referee

Whilst this is true, the Knights squad is the worst in the NRL era by some margain. I think you could have had jack Gibson, Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy collectively coaching the side and they would have had the same result.

You can say they didn't improve but I think it's more the case that the majority simply aren't, and never will be good enough to be NRL players.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Second year here focussing on defence and the defence was worse. With so many young guys in the NRL side we cannot wait for good results as we will be ruining the development of those players and coninually failing to make the finals.

Like we've done for 5 years now. And counting.

simmo1

First Grade
Whilst this is true, the Knights squad is the worst in the NRL era by some margain. I think you could have had jack Gibson, Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy collectively coaching the side and they would have had the same result.

You can say they didn't improve but I think it's more the case that the majority simply aren't, and never will be good enough to be NRL players.

There's still a few who are definitely first graders (T.Sims, Gagai, Uate, Hodkinson to a name a few) and they all went backwards.

As I said, like Taylor, I think you need to give him a full 2-3 years before you can really make a real call either way.

Defence was worse madunit however there was an improvement in his 1st year, looking back we had:
2012 - F 506 A 551 (45) and the last year of Heigno & Ellis
The MP years,
2013 - F 386 A 687 (301) that couldn't have been because we lost the 2 above!, but attack wise there were the issues with Benji and MP
2014 - F 420 A 631(211) so points scored improved without Benji

The JT years
2015 - F 487 A 562 (75) so there was an improvement in both attack and defence.
2016 - F 499 A 607 (108) wow 12 more points scored but as we all know our defence went down hill.
Why? Defence coach? The coach and his ability ? The players ? The game plans and structure?

I believe there are plenty of factors including $$$$'s and inability to entice a better coach and players who can help to improve the young guys coming through. There's the coach and his communication skills with players (it is an issue), the Farah issue, players not committing going forward until they know who the coach is. Management etc.

For me though, finishing 9th is not an improvement at this time, in a few years time I might say gee we came 15th then 9th then 7th and now 4th but at the moment no, we let in too many points other clubs had rotten starts ( I know that happens) and then Parra lost their points but if say Parra didn't lose them, the Chooks and say Souths didn't have the starts they did, ( yeah, I know that happens every year to a club or 2) where would the or perhaps where should have the Tigers ran? 11th or 12th perhaps?

I have a good friend who loves to stir me and say, gee your mob can turn it on 3 times a year against the top teams but boy they under perform for the most part. I hate to hear it but deep down, it is true.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 2014 side was travelling markedly better until the entire club crumbled like century old cookies after the Tallis/Farah/Potter debacle derailed the club completely.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Regarding the O'Neill shamozzle...

Wests Tigers Statement

Wests Tigers can confirm that Mark O’Neill has resigned from his position as General Manager - Football effective today.

The Board of Wests Tigers is fully committed to ensuring the Club is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and seeks to promote an environment that supports diversity, productivity and professionalism.

All employees have the right to be treated fairly and with respect. Discrimination and harassment will not be tolerated and the Board will not excuse misconduct in any circumstances.

Wests Tigers values your support of the Club as a Member. We are determined to make Wests Tigers a success both on and off the field and will not do anything to jeopardise this from happening.

The Club intends to make no further comment on this matter.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
He finally made a good decision.

Good player, f**king wanker of a General Manager.

Perhaps we could go and sign an actual professional for a role this for a f**king change. End the boys club bullshit once and for all.

Hold on, are the players employees?

Because I couldn't help thinking of a guy who previously played for the West Tigers and will be playing for Souths next year.

The Board of Wests Tigers is fully committed to ensuring the Club is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and seeks to promote an environment that supports diversity, productivity and professionalism.
What about the professionalism of the coach in the Farah saga?

All employees have the right to be treated fairly and with respect.
Was that you Robbie?

Anyway, better get onto SEEK and apply :rolleyes:

Shredder

Juniors
OK, so Im confused - was he General Manager or Football Manager? nd followup question, what was he actually responsible for?

Regardless he was unqualified for both. He left us, played in the UK, came back and did what?

This is 100% on the board.

At least he lasted, what six weeks......?

We'd have been better off with a local Bank Manager, at least that guy has the skills to manage diverse teams doing different things, rather than just come up with "Im taking the boys off Gluten free...."

Tiger05

First Grade
He finally made a good decision.

Good player, f**king wanker of a General Manager.

Perhaps we could go and sign an actual professional for a role this for a f**king change. End the boys club bullshit once and for all.

Yep. I'm glad to see him go. What a tool. He really stuffed that one up.

Tiger05

First Grade
We'd have been better off with a local Bank Manager, at least that guy has the skills to manage diverse teams doing different things, rather than just come up with "Im taking the boys off Gluten free...."

Put me up for it. I manage projects at a bank for a living.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hate when people start blurring the lines between their roles.

If you aren't on the coaching staff then you have ZERO right to impose any changes to players preparations etc.

He should've been sacked for the Gluten free diet and then the hypocritical pizza night.

f**king hack. He's gone from being a bloke I'd respected to a f**king idiot who I no longer have any time for.

Latest posts