What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd 3 2024: Parra v Manly GAME DAY thread @ Commbank Stadium March 24th

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Yeah - the way he chased on the obstruction no try was wildly concerning

I think he was trying to put a big hit on DCE who had turned his back. Reminiscent of TPJ last year and Moses turning it back on the inside to Guth. I don't think it was laziness, it was a poor decision. If he sits back the line break isn't made or he gets up quicker and demolishes DCE in the back.

Gazzamatta

Coach
What's the go with the goal kicking.

Moses has taken 1 shot both weeks but the rest is with Gutho.

Is it just picking and choosing atm.

Seems bizarre moses would take 1 shot at goal but leave the rest with Gutho.

Either he can't goal kick or he can. Unless its just managing the niggle he has in the groin.
Moses is definitely hampered by his groin. His speed off the mark is noticeably affected. Gutho was hobbling around the time Mitch stepped up. I think it was a knee which is a worry.

Gronk

Staff member
Moses is definitely hampered by his groin. His speed off the mark is noticeably affected. Gutho was hobbling around the time Mitch stepped up. I think it was a knee which is a worry.
Absolutely, Joey was even taking penalty line kicks.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I think he was trying to put a big hit on DCE who had turned his back. Reminiscent of TPJ last year and Moses turning it back on the inside to Guth. I don't think it was laziness, it was a poor decision. If he sits back the line break isn't made or he gets up quicker and demolishes DCE in the back.

Yes indeed! Not lazy, but a liability for certain.

However, this is what BA does best - gets the vets to hold guys accountable and teaches trust and hold the line in the middle. I doubt we see him sprint out again too many times

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's about $$$ Joe O would have to be costing 400k. Tigers are not letting him go if they are chipping in a heap. It isn't like he was a trouble maker and we've needed a back for years. That was priority not a prop.
Nah improving our middle defence was always the priority. Ofahengaue is worth at least $400k. Sivo and Penisini would both be on more than that. Simonsson could get $400k on his next contract if he maintains last year’s form.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
Nah improving our middle defence was always the priority. Ofahengaue is worth at least $400k. Sivo and Penisini would both be on more than that. Simonsson could get $400k on his next contract if he maintains lastlast year’s form.

Different views. If your backs can make powerhouse meters with strong carries the forwards can take less hit ups and are more fresh in defense.
Issue 101 is Sivo runs like a cat most the time, Gutherson has no power and Simo/Harper the same.
Penisini has some nuts and Russels getting there. But compare it to Penriths back 5 or Roosters or Canberra's as examples.

Simmonson 400k? What are you smoking. 200-250k Max.

lucablight

First Grade
We find overlaps pretty easily as well. It’s what happens when you force the defence to compress. Rugby league 101 ffs
If you have the time I’d recommend listening to the comments about our edge defence by former Eels premiership player John Muggleton here. He gave some very insightful thoughts on how we operate there

hindy111

Post Whore
It's because Manly have ball playing 13 which unlocks their halves and fullback, gives them wdith and allows Turbo to do the full sweep at pace.

Angry Ant Nathan Brown was trying to do the same thing when Jurbo was playing prop, but just didn't have the skill.

It might be a "coaching issue", and you can coach against that Souths LHS or Panthers set plays off a scrum all you like but they are just too f**king good at it. Same with DCE and Turbo.

The Dogs with Salmon at 13 found similar deficiencies in our line and exposed us.
Why are sides like the Storm,Roosters,Penrith able to defend these plays far better? I don't mind a side scoring a try against us but sometimes it looks like they are having a training run. Rare you see such simple tries and break against the top sides.

lucablight

First Grade
The Dogs with Salmon at 13 found similar deficiencies in our line and exposed us.
Why are sides like the Storm,Roosters,Penrith able to defend these plays far better? I don't mind a side scoring a try against us but sometimes it looks like they are having a training run. Rare you see such simple tries and break against the top sides.
I think the strength of our forward pack masks over how defensively frail we are defending against sides attacking from 20m out.

Suitman

Post Whore
We find overlaps pretty easily as well. It’s what happens when you force the defence to compress. Rugby league 101 ffs
No we don't.
Our attack is so predictable that most other teams know to just slide in defence and force us to the sideline.
It happens time and time again.

Gronk

Staff member
Huh ? The Dogs did what ? They were scoreless for 65 minutes. So they scored one try - that's not exposed dude.

1711343205644.png

oldmancraigy

Coach
No we don't.
Our attack is so predictable that most other teams know to just slide in defence and force us to the sideline.
It happens time and time again.

I reckon our attack is pretty solid when Moses and Brown are fit. We had the 6th beat attack last year, despite an ordinary season (As a fan I always want more tries though!!)
We do look predictable at times - but we probably run so many sweeps to set up the short plays.

It is like when Joey would hit the lead runner on the block play half the afternoon and then go for the cut out on the 9th repeat.

We tend to score enough points - defence is our bigger issue, and mostly when teams go 2 passes wide early. WillyP and Russell look to be fine now - but that left side is a mess (so far this year)

The Predictor

Juniors
Shaun Lane was garbage yesterday and made 9 extra metres in 80 min of football than Joe O and missed 5 tackles with one ineffective.

Ofahengaue meanwhile played only 40 min and had a 100% tackle efficiency yet people want to put shit on him despite playing for unders with a subsidised contract from the Tigers.

Get real people.
I’d trade lane before trading Matterson, even though Matterson is polarising and not a fan, tho as a footballer he is light years ahead of Lane!!

The Predictor

Juniors
In 2022 Lane was talked about for origin if held form for 2023. He looks heavy on his feet and lazy in defense.
Doorey missed most of last week due to HIA and also this week. Rnd 1 he was electric. Hopefully he gets a good run and puts pressure on the 2nd row
I rate Doory , though injuries my be an issue regarding longevity

Latest posts