What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd23: Parra v Storm GAME DAY thread 17/8/18

hindy111

Post Whore
Yep. There are several halves better than Moses but they are still capable of producing plop.

Outside of Cronk and JT the only consistently good halves are DCE, Maloney and Pearce...and Hiney will probably spit his XXXX gold all over himself when he sees Pearce on that list.

Given that we can’t pull a great halfback out of our dates we need to play in a way that takes the pressure off Moses. In the game against @Alec's-saints Red and White mincers we had several points of attack, with Norman chiming in from the back and Hayne having a roving commission. We didn’t do that as well against the Storm and I think it was one of the reasons we looked so lost.

Something to focus on in the offseason.

I like Keary,Widdop and Taylor

Noise

Coach
Given that we can’t pull a great halfback out of our dates we need to play in a way that takes the pressure off Moses. In the game against @Alec's-saints Red and White mincers we had several points of attack, with Norman chiming in from the back and Hayne having a roving commission. We didn’t do that as well against the Storm and I think it was one of the reasons we looked so lost.

Something to focus on in the offseason.

Agree that we need several points of attack. If we release Norman we will be down one of those points of attack (and I still think he is a better 6 than 1). Salmon and Mahoney look like potential first graders but I don’t see them being genuine attacking options next year. God help us if we don’t re-sign Hayne.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Friday night:

8. Peni
9. Mahoney
10. Moeroa
11. Taka
12. Marata
13. Brown

14. Stone (debuting)
15. Kaufusi (debuting
16. Vave
17. Gower

2019 potentially (6 more experienced forwards then Friday night):

8. Alvaro
9. Mahoney
10. Paulo
11. Moeroa
12. Marata
13. Brown

14. Manu
15. Lane
16. Evans
17. Mannah

I suspect a half will find it easier playing behind the 2019 pack then the Friday night one.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Friday night:

8. Peni
9. Mahoney
10. Moeroa
11. Taka
12. Marata
13. Brown

14. Stone (debuting)
15. Kaufusi (debuting
16. Vave
17. Gower

2019 potentially (6 more experienced forwards then Friday night):

8. Alvaro
9. Mahoney
10. Paulo
11. Moeroa
12. Marata
13. Brown

14. Manu
15. Lane
16. Evans
17. Mannah

I suspect a half will find it easier playing behind the 2019 pack then the Friday night one.
No doubt.

The question is whether they will find it easy enough to play to the level required to make us a good, consistent side. I hope so.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Agree that we need several points of attack. If we release Norman we will be down one of those points of attack (and I still think he is a better 6 than 1). Salmon and Mahoney look like potential first graders but I don’t see them being genuine attacking options next year. God help us if we don’t re-sign Hayne.

Think Mahoney is good enough for next year, but yeah I think it’s to much to expect Salmon to do to much next year especially in the halves. Reckon he should be eased in at centre / bench / edge.

I reckon next year this wouldn’t be a bad option (assuming Norman / Hayne stay):

1. Gutherson
2. Hayne ( moving in a fullback role at certain times)
3. Salmon
4. Jennings
5. Ferguson
6. Norman
7. Moses

With an off-season to change attacking structures, BA should be able to get some points out of that backline (or he won’t be here in 2020)

Eelogical

Referee
Think Mahoney is good enough for next year, but yeah I think it’s to much to expect Salmon to do to much next year especially in the halves. Reckon he should be eased in at centre / bench / edge.

I reckon next year this wouldn’t be a bad option (assuming Norman / Hayne stay):

1. Gutherson
3. Salmon
4. Jennings
5. Ferguson
6. Norman
7. Moses

With an off-season to change attacking structures, BA should be able to get some points out of that backline (or he won’t be here in 2020)
I've liked Gutho the best when he's in the centres out of all the places he's played in the backline.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I dont think there is any real future with either of these 2 halves

hopefully by 2020 we have Brown and maybe Salmon or some one else who steps up or gets recruited, neither of these 2 are top 4 material and thats where we wanna be

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I've liked Gutho the best when he's in the centres out of all the places he's played in the backline.

Yeah I thought he was great there too, but probably depends on whether Salmon plays in the halves or not. We have a few options.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I dont think there is any real future with either of these 2 halves

hopefully by 2020 we have Brown and maybe Salmon or some one else who steps up or gets recruited, neither of these 2 are top 4 material and thats where we wanna be

Yep but even in 2020, brown / Salmon are only 20 and 21, still pretty young to be leading an NRL side. So unless there is a better option either Moses or Norman are probably going to be here for another couple of years.

Also don’t forget they did lead us to the top 4 in 2017, with several different hooker/fullbacks in the spine.

Noise

Coach

1. Gutherson
3. Salmon
4. Jennings
5. Ferguson
6. Norman
7. Moses

Gutherson is best at centre. He doesn't offer much as a play maker from fullback. If Norman goes we are f**ked because it is going to be up to Moses to do all the playmaking

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Gutherson is best at centre. He doesn't offer much as a play maker from fullback. If Norman goes we are f**ked because it is going to be up to Moses to do all the playmaking

I agree he is a good centre but at fullback him and Hayne switching at times wouId work. Let’s gutho do the “grunt” work saving Hayne for attack.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Gutho and Salmon in the centers. Hayne and Fergo wings.
Norman fullback.
Pi** off Mennings. Would much rather Gennings.
Moses and ? In the halfs. Might need to find options at 1 and or 6 should Normy leave.

Eelogical

Referee
Norman fullback.
Moses and ? In the halfs. Might need to find options at 1 and or 6 should Normy leave.
Gennings has earned his place in the team. He's worth keeping.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Norman fullback.

In a perfect work, maybe. But it won’t happen and even if Norman stays, who plays in the halves with Moses?

Just trying to look at options on who will probably be here in 2019

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Not saying we should chase him and not even sure what his form is like, but wouId Coote be an option?

Did seem to have a kicking game and was a main part of the cowboys attack in their premiership winning year. Probably needs a change and wouId be fairly cheap:

1. Coote
2. Hayne
3. Gutho
4. Jennings
5. Ferguson
6. Norman (or salmon if he leaves)
7. Moses

Just throwing it out for discussion, who else is available?

strider

Post Whore
LOL Hooper!! We had a massive dig Friday night, the effort was great but once again we let ourselves down through utter stupidity and a half not taking control of the team. To only score 1 try off a kick in that second half when they had no one on their bench, a player in the bin and their best player and captain gone says we did not play well at all. If those blokes were bagging the side you would be posting the link and pissing in your knickers.
Its ok, we will get matty johns in to mentor the halves as suggested .... no wait, hang on

Latest posts