What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rethink of ANZAC Day Games

ground zero

Juniors
Same teams conviently get the home gate magic round each year. Most are ex super league teams. Always same teams every year. Are they going to share the gate. No way

Wb1234

Referee
Uh this was my idea for south’s to play melb and nz to get their own game

the fact nz isn’t hosting a game during Anzac Day is a reflection of how much of an afterthought thr warriors are to the arlc

if it wasn’t for the huge tv deal the warriors generate the arlc would’ve found a way to kill of the warriors long ago

the arlc needs to take a long hard look at its strategy for nz

and they’ve been getting dud calls from refs for 20 years

the game yesterday was a joke

Other clubs just need to be pro-active and go to the NRL with an idea if they want a regular marquee game.

There are plenty of opportunities still available

just about ever slot over the Easter weekend (including Thursday), ANZAC eve, ANZAC Day 2PM, Kings Birthday Weekend, mothers day are all occasions that are there for the taking.
Souths Vs Warriors should be the marquee event for indigenous round IMO. With Souths‘ long and proud indigenous history and the Warriors being the premier representation of PI players should be treated as the match of the round and take turns at hosting the event. Another special day and one that gets a gig in NZ.

Agreed but let’s be honest, no one really gave a shit - test included, until our clubs made it into something special.

The idea was copied from the AFL, as prior to 2002. there were plenty of games played on ANZAC Day over the years. It was only after how the NRL saw how the AFL version went, with it being between traditional rivals that the concept gained some life in rl circles. It was the Dragons and the Roosters who went ahead and pitched it.

Heck the Roosters also pitched playing on Good Fridays when the Easter Show was still at Moore Park, with for the last 4-5 years always being the Roosters v Broncos. The Roosters had to give up a slot when Easter and Anzac Day fell in the same week, so it was mutually decided that the Roosters would cede the Good Friday clash, and that is where the Souths v Dogs game on Good Friday was born.

Rotating the Anzac Day game between all clubs? What a daft idea.

Last edited:

Matiunz

Juniors
No, just no. Can we not keep one tradition in rugby league? I’m surprised it has lasted this long. Two sell outs, leave it alone.
A tradition that 1 team wants no part of, NZ should be able to host a game at least every second year- there’s 2 countries in ANZAC not just Australia.
Instead the club with the most travel as it is is forced to always play Melbourne away, in the worst possible time slot- which is too late on a work/school night for many Warriors fans to even watch , followed by a short turn around (which Storm get the bye for) after an international flight.
This fixture works for one team only not n the spirit of ANZAC

Wb1234

Referee
A tradition that 1 team wants no part of, NZ should be able to host a game at least every second year- there’s 2 countries in ANZAC not just Australia.
Instead the club with the most travel as it is is forced to always play Melbourne away, in the worst possible time slot- which is too late on a work/school night for many Warriors fans to even watch , followed by a short turn around (which Storm get the bye for) after an international flight.
This fixture works for one team only not n the spirit of ANZAC
Bravo

King-Gutho94

Coach
Other clubs just need to be pro-active and go to the NRL with an idea if they want a regular marquee game.

There are plenty of opportunities still available

just about ever slot over the Easter weekend (including Thursday), ANZAC eve, ANZAC Day 2PM, Kings Birthday Weekend, mothers day are all occasions that are there for the taking.
Two sydney clubs should be lining up for an Anzac Eve match. Who cares that the AFL started it put our own game there and go up against it. They have no shame why should we.

Either play it at Allianz or Commbank and pack the joint out. The new stadiums allow for lighting and a ceremony done in pitch black the AFL do but do it in our own style.

I wouldn't mind Eels v Dogs at Commbank as the rivalry is already there but put it in the marquee slot and do a night ceremony but that's just me being greedy.

You could rotate Homebush and Commbank in suppose.

But Homebush needs big marquee events otherwise it's just a waste of space.

taste2taste

Juniors
I rekon get rid of all the NRL games and have a true Anzac test

KANGAROOS V KIWIS

...One can only dream that test match footy could be given its chance to shine ....

I rekon get rid of all the NRL games and have a true Anzac test

KANGAROOS V KIWIS

...One can only dream that test match footy could be given its chance to shine ....

The main reason it won't happen is the UKSL won't want to release NZ players to travel to Australia. It's what effectively killed mid-season tests being played in Australia, NZ or the UK.

Valheru

Coach
Souths Vs Warriors should be the marquee event for indigenous round IMO. With Souths‘ long and proud indigenous history and the Warriors being the premier representation of PI players should be treated as the match of the round and take turns at hosting the event. Another special day and one that gets a gig in NZ.
You're an ideas man - If us plebs can come up with this stuff on the Internet surely the clubs can as well.

I like how it doesn't even have to be tied to a particular day, marquee matches within themed rounds could also work. Extend that to women in league round, pride round (when it inevitably gets of the ground), heritage round etc.

There are plenty of opportunities for every club to get a piece of the marquee pie.

Valheru

Coach
Two sydney clubs should be lining up for an Anzac Eve match. Who cares that the AFL started it put our own game there and go up against it. They have no shame why should we.

Either play it at Allianz or Commbank and pack the joint out. The new stadiums allow for lighting and a ceremony done in pitch black the AFL do but do it in our own style.

I wouldn't mind Eels v Dogs at Commbank as the rivalry is already there but put it in the marquee slot and do a night ceremony but that's just me being greedy.

You could rotate Homebush and Commbank in suppose.

But Homebush needs big marquee events otherwise it's just a waste of space.
Yeah who cares if the idea is being taken from the AFL, if it works it works.

ANZAC eve is a massive opportunity to add another marquee fixture. I don't really see another combination that would work too well at SFS TBH so Parra vs Dogs or Penrith at Commbank would be my preference if in Sydney. I also think Broncos/Dolphins at Suncorp could be a huge event every ANZAC eve.

You're an ideas man - If us plebs can come up with this stuff on the Internet surely the clubs can as well.

I like how it doesn't even have to be tied to a particular day, marquee matches within themed rounds could also work. Extend that to women in league round, pride round (when it inevitably gets of the ground), heritage round etc.

There are plenty of opportunities for every club to get a piece of the marquee pie.
Could you tell my wife?

beave

Coach
I said it in another thread, NQ should be having a home game ANZAC day and the more I think about it, make it the ANZAC eve game. With its huge military presence in the region, I would look to make it against the Knights.

1) Traditionally a lower drawing game in NQ so you artificially inflate the crowd figure for this game. I honestly reckon you would get a sell out.

2) Newcastle has a sizeable RAAF base at Williamtown whereas Tvl is a predominantly Army town, leverage off this inter-service rivalry.

3) Enables NQ to have a pre determined night game earlier in the season. The NRL giving us a couple of afternoon games early in the season this year was ridiculous, the game in rd 1 was unbearable up there as a fan and it clearly took its toll on the Canberra players.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Yeah who cares if the idea is being taken from the AFL, if it works it works.

ANZAC eve is a massive opportunity to add another marquee fixture. I don't really see another combination that would work too well at SFS TBH so Parra vs Dogs or Penrith at Commbank would be my preference if in Sydney. I also think Broncos/Dolphins at Suncorp could be a huge event every ANZAC eve.
Yeah Parra v Dogs at Commbank on Anzac Eve.

The Dogs v Parra at Homebush on Kings Birthday but move it to bloody 3pm.

4pm in mid June is too late and gets too cold its unnecessary not being a channel 9 game..

That way both times teams play around a public holiday so there isn't too much of a disadvantage with gate takings.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Roosters and Dragons began the concept of playing on ANZAC Day back in 2002. The crowd in the inaugural match was 20,588. And the attendance just a couple of days ago in 2023 was 40,191.

It started from a normal club game played on ANZAC Day to an event. Both clubs have done the hard yards and are now reaping the benefits of it.

So rather than changing the ANZAC game, you could create more games/events. But of course, some people want to come to the party without doing the work.

Canard

Immortal
Roosters and Dragons began the concept of playing on ANZAC Day back in 2002. The crowd in the inaugural match was 20,588. And the attendance just a couple of days ago in 2023 was 40,191.

It started from a normal club game played on ANZAC Day to an event. Both clubs have done the hard yards and are now reaping the benefits of it.

So rather than changing the ANZAC game, you could create more games/events. But of course, some people want to come to the party without doing the work.
Just like the Storm, making ANZAC night there biggest game of the year.

But classic LU, lets wreck that, because reasons