What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rethink of ANZAC Day Games

mongoose

Coach
I said it in another thread, NQ should be having a home game ANZAC day and the more I think about it, make it the ANZAC eve game. With its huge military presence in the region, I would look to make it against the Knights.

1) Traditionally a lower drawing game in NQ so you artificially inflate the crowd figure for this game. I honestly reckon you would get a sell out.

2) Newcastle has a sizeable RAAF base at Williamtown whereas Tvl is a predominantly Army town, leverage off this inter-service rivalry.

3) Enables NQ to have a pre determined night game earlier in the season. The NRL giving us a couple of afternoon games early in the season this year was ridiculous, the game in rd 1 was unbearable up there as a fan and it clearly took its toll on the Canberra players.
Canberra has Duntroon, Defence headquarters and National War Memorial if we want to make claims to hold ANZAC games...

Black Panther

Juniors
All the talk about tradition and so on, the Dragons have only been formed since 1998/99. Why are the NRL so generous giving them special event games? Some teams just get looked after more than others, let’s be real.

Valheru

Coach
The only thing I’d say about Bronc/Phins as an Anzac Eve game is that it’s already developing into a marquee event. Why merge two Marquee events into one? I do like the idea of a Anzac eve game and maybe make it Broncs/Tits. Might be the medicine needed to kickstart a culture into the GC?
Yeah I get where you're coming from but it's also the reason I picked that match up.

Roosters/Dragons works because a) there is a historic rivalry and b) both sets of fans come together every year for the sell out. it is one of those rare non finals games where you have a 50/50 crowd most years.

Trying to replicate that in Brisbane, I reckon only the Dolphins would provide the same atmosphere and near guaranteed sell out every year. Channel 9 would absolutely froth at it as well.

Titans might be next best option though

Perth Red

Post Whore
Criteria for games that should be held on anzac day weekend
1. decent modern stadium
2. ability to sell it out or at least draw a major crowd
3. ability to put on a show

Theres no reason every game on anzac weekend shouldn't be a more special occasion, and in the process boost the NRLs attendances and exposure. I'd ditch Thurs night and Fri 6pm Anzac weekend though.

Have games Fri 7.30pm
Sat 4pm, 6pm, 8pm
Sun 3pm and 7pm
Anzac day 2 games as is

RedVee_8

Juniors
I do agree Warriors should get a game at home every second year if not every year. I don’t know what would work best for them but maybe the Anzac Eve game in Auckland or an Anzac afternoon game at 3 (nz time) to allow time for both afternoon games pre game activities to be televised.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It was Melb Storm who got the ANZAC game in Melbourne started and promoted over the years. Why do teams have to steal event games. The AFL have an event game nearly every week which helps them with crowds.
I think the NRl is starting to wake up to the value of that. Clubs are seeing the impact of 25k plus crowds. Smith ten years ago talked about right game right stadium. Theres so much more we could achieve with just some stronger schedule control and clubs being more open to using different venues, oh and some decent marketing and investment in game day experience!

Wb1234

Referee
It was Melb Storm who got the ANZAC game in Melbourne started and promoted over the years. Why do teams have to steal event games. The AFL have an event game nearly every week which helps them with crowds.
Play south’s or rotate it every second year if they have to have the warriors

it’ll be a bigger event in nz

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
All the talk about tradition and so on, the Dragons have only been formed since 1998/99. Why are the NRL so generous giving them special event games? Some teams just get looked after more than others, let’s be real.
I'm guessing you're trolling but most Dragons fans have supported the club well before 1999. The brand has been around for over 100 years. That's all that really matters when you talk of tradition.

Wb1234

Referee
Criteria for games that should be held on anzac day weekend
1. decent modern stadium
2. ability to sell it out or at least draw a major crowd
3. ability to put on a show

Theres no reason every game on anzac weekend shouldn't be a more special occasion, and in the process boost the NRLs attendances and exposure. I'd ditch Thurs night and Fri 6pm Anzac weekend though.

Have games Fri 7.30pm
Sat 4pm, 6pm, 8pm
Sun 3pm and 7pm
Anzac day 2 games as is
4. Be from New Zealand

Belza

Juniors
Yeah who cares if the idea is being taken from the AFL, if it works it works.

ANZAC eve is a massive opportunity to add another marquee fixture. I don't really see another combination that would work too well at SFS TBH so Parra vs Dogs or Penrith at Commbank would be my preference if in Sydney. I also think Broncos/Dolphins at Suncorp could be a huge event every ANZAC eve.
I think Raiders/Cowboys

JamesRustle

First Grade
I do agree Warriors should get a game at home every second year if not every year. I don’t know what would work best for them but maybe the Anzac Eve game in Auckland or an Anzac afternoon game at 3 (nz time) to allow time for both afternoon games pre game activities to be televised.
An ANZAC Eve game only gives them a 24 hour turnaround for the ANZAC Night game in Melbourne.

siv

First Grade
I would not use derbies on ANZAC round

Each city should have a ANZAC game

One other game that worked a few years ago was Brisbane v Souths at Lang Park

And agree Canberra should have a home game, so should Newcastle, Gold Coast and Nth Qld

Thats 7 games

Darwin works as game 8 with its WWII history

docbrown

Coach
1. If you change a tradition then it’s not a tradition.
2. You’re not getting every team on ANZAC Day.
3. New Zealand deserves a game on ANZAC Day.

Solution? Add a second New Zealand team.

Thursday night - Knights vs Panthers @ Newcastle
(RAAF Williamtown)

Friday night - Bulldogs vs Tigers

Saturday night 6pm WA/4pm EST — Perth vs Dolphins @ Perth
(Fleet West navy)

Saturday night - Cowboys vs Sharks @ Townsville
(Army)

Sunday arvo - Broncos vs Eels @ Brisbane

ANZAC Day Eve — Raiders vs Rabbitohs @ Canberra
(National Capital game and it should always be on ANZAC Day Eve)

ANZAC Day 1:30pm EST/3:30pm NZ — New Zealand 2 vs Eels @ Wellington (National Capital game in afternoon time slot for NZ)

ANZAC Day 4pm EST — Roosters vs Dragons @ SFS

ANZAC Day Night 6:30pm EST/8:30pm NZ — Storm vs Warriors @ Melbourne
(slightly earlier timeslot for NZ audiences)

One other reason not every team will be involved in an Anzac Day game on Anzac Day is simple, media commitments. When Anzac Day falls mid-week, it would mean you'd have a heap of teams on a short turn around from the week before or the week after. If it was a Thursday or a Friday, you could potentiall not have any games for the rest of the weekend. It would create a complete logistical nightmare for the teams, and the media broadcasters would complain about lack of content over a weekend.

simmo05

Bench
Canberra has Duntroon, Defence headquarters and National War Memorial if we want to make claims to hold ANZAC games...
And adfa. Newcastle also has the school of cool out singo way. For me it would be newcastle and nq. Canberra is full of private school officer types who only play rugby, let the brumbies take care of them on Anzac day