What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Return of gaz

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Willow you're a Gasnier supporter and I respect that.

At the moment we are on the top of the table...We have great players doing a great job...and now St George wants to bring back a player who hasn't played league in 18 months (I think) who is going to cost a sh*t load of money...That makes no sense to me

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I'm not a Gasnier supporter per se.

I have no issues with him coming back. Equally I don't care if he doesn't come back.

I just see a lot of misinformation flying around.

I can see the value of having him the centres for the next 3 years.

By saying he is 'overated' and a 'traitor', that's your opinion. You're entitled to it. But it is not an argument based on logic.

It has already been rumoured that J Smith might be leaving, Cooper might be leaving, Hornby might be leaving, Costigan and Henry will be leaving following rumours. All this has nothing to do with Gasnier. More likely, we have other fringe players coming through.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
If he signs for us...I'm not gonna be one of those idiots who boos him evertime he touches the ball but at the same time I won't be celebrating when they anounce his name when they're introducing the line ups

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If he signs for us...I'm not gonna be one of those idiots who boos him evertime he touches the ball but at the same time I won't be celebrating when they anounce his name when they're introducing the line ups
Well you pay the admission price so that's your right... I guess.

You might find yourself on your pat malone if he starts scoring tries.

Still can't see the logic in your argument.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Which part? Gasnier didn't break any contract. He didn't force any players to sign with other clubs. So please elaborate.

j0nesy

Bench
What's so difficult about it? Gasnier was screwed by 3rd party arrangements and left the nrl as a result. The dragons honored their end of the contract and for that gasnier offered to give them the first option of his services upon return to the nrl. Gasnier honored that agreement and now it looks as if doust and bennett will take him up on his offer.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It confuses me as well Jonesy. Sometimes I think people get logic and reasoning mixed up with opinion and prejudice.

j0nesy

Bench
We all do it from time to time it's human nature I suppose. I just feel sorry for gaz in all of this, as inevitably some parts of the tabloid media will push a similar line. From what I can tell gaz has his heart in the right place.

Willow

Assistant Moderator

It looks like a rushed article followed by file copy, so I'll post it before they edit.

Mark Gasnier signs with St George Illawarra Dragons

MARK Gasnier has revealed he was "bitter and angry" about being forced out of St George Illawarra - but he's returned for the sole purpose of winning a premiership in the famed Red V.

Today, rugby league gets one back when Gasnier announces at a 3pm press conference he is coming home to the Dragons.

His 4 1/2-year deal is worth $1.9 million and will see him at the club until the end of 2014.

The 28-year-old is expected to make his return against the Panthers next Monday night at Kogarah Oval.

MARK Gasnier is standing in the middle of the dressingrooms at Kogarah Oval next Monday night.
He pulls the white jumper over his head, peers down at the red V. And how will that feel?

"Good," smiles Gasnier. "I've thought about that a lot. You look at your jersey when you put it on ... and it's a bit better than pink."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ns/story-e6frexnr-1225884954206#sidebar-start

He's referring to the garish hot pink strip of Stade Francais he has worn since the middle of 2008, when he was forced to switch clubs, codes and countries after walking out on St George Illawarra - while captain - because of a contract dispute.

Yet today, "Les Gaz" completes a stunning homecoming when he announces a new 4 1/2-year deal with the Dragons worth $1.9 million.

Amid the scandalous headlines of this NRL season, today's are worth relishing.

Speaking over tapas in a Spanish restaurant in Surry Hills late last week, the 28-year-old opened up about why he left, why he didn't want to become a Wallaby and where he goes from here.

Paris or bust

Gasnier left the Dragons midway through 2008 when enough became enough.

For 18 months, he had not been paid external third-party agreements that were supposed to be coming his way - even though the club had fulfilled its contractual obligations.

Ironically, the loosening of salary cap rules, which allow NRL clubs to guarantee such agreements, were announced by the NRL last week and would have allowed Gasnier to stay.

"Would I have been crying poor if I stayed?" he says.

"That's not the point. The point is when you sign a contract and you honour your end, they should honour theirs. If I wasn't firm and didn't set a date, how many times would I have had to keep budging?"

Accordingly, Gasnier accepted a two-year deal worth $850,000 to sign with Paris club Stade Francais.

"It was a huge shock to leave," he says. "It took at least six months for it to set in. When I got to France, Paris was new, rugby was new. Then it sunk in. I definitely had thoughts I had given a lot up."

When Gasnier wasn't playing rugby, he was travelling throughout Europe, often surfing off Morocco and along the Spanish coastline.

"For the first six months, I didn't watch much league at all - and then I got right back into it," he says. "And Mum always updated me on how the Dragons were going anyway."

The way back

While negotiations involving his manager, George Mimis, Dragons boss Peter Doust and the NRL have been on in earnest for the past 10 weeks, Gasnier first started toying with the notion of returning to the Dragons around Christmas last year.

About four months ago, he phoned Dragons mastercoach Wayne Bennett.

"I had a conversation with Wayne about coming back - to rugby league in general and to St George Illawarra. Then I started to think about it more and more.

"Wayne was typical Wayne. It wasn't a matter of all things being equal. He was wondering where my mindset was. Saints were going so well, it wasn't like they desperately needed me."

Rebel without the ball

Make no mistake: returning to Australia to play rugby union was a serious consideration. Gasnier met with coach Rod Macqueen several times about joining new Super 15 franchise Melbourne Rebels.

Yet it was his frustration at playing on the wing, on boggy European fields during winter, which spooked him about the possibility of ultimately becoming a Wallaby.

"The carrot of playing in the World Cup and being a dual international was there. But I was missing the involvement and influence you can have when I was playing rugby."

Asked if standing on the wing made him realise that he wanted to return to the game he loved, Gasnier says: "I'd be lying if I said it didn't. Maybe not on the field, but when I finished I would sometimes think about it.

"It made up my mind. Would it have been the same in Super 14? I thought, 'Well, if I was 23 or 24 I could risk two or three years and then go back if I didn't like it'. But if I was going to be true to myself, I was always coming back to the Dragons."

Cooking with Gaz

So can Mark Gasnier return to the player he was when he was the first centre picked in NSW and Australian sides?

"I think so. I'd love to. It's challenging because players are aware of what you can do. As you get older, it gets harder to be consistent. But that's the exciting thing about coming back - to get back to that."

Since returning to Australia in May, Gasnier has been working with long-time Dragons physio Andrew Gray.

"If there was ever a guy I wanted to work with when I came back to league, it was him. He's had me my whole career since I came into grade and knows what rehab work I have to do. He's been great and I have to apologise to his wife because he's been with me almost every day."

The Holy Grail

Gasnier does not hide from the fact he has returned to the Dragons to win a premiership.

"Wayne has brought a calming effect. Not an emphasis on wanting to do it but how to do it. I would love to hold the trophy up in October."

RedVDave

First Grade
Dragons face Gaz selection puzzle

Mark Gasnier will sign with the Dragons today, but his first game is likely to depend on whether St George Illawarra centre Beau Scott is selected for State of Origin III.
Blues selectors are agonising over the choice of attacking weapon, caught between Jamal Idris or the defensive rock of Scott, when they name the NSW team tonight.
If Scott is picked for his second Origin appearance, it means he will be in the NSW camp in Wollongong this week and unavailable for the Dragons clash with Penrith at Kogarah next Monday.

Scott's absence will open the door for Gasnier to be thrust straight into a Red V jersey, just one week after inking his return to the club following a stint in rugby union.
It is understood coach Wayne Bennett is considering delaying Gasnier's start, his first game for the Dragons since walking out on the club for a French rugby union deal two years ago, until after next week's bye.
Bennett is keen to have the club's million-dollar man complete several training sessions with the squad before the former captain plays for the NRL competition leaders.
However, with Scott potentially among six Dragons players to be chosen for either NSW or Queensland in Wednesday week's dead rubber Origin game, Bennett may unleash Gasnier on the Panthers.
Already boasting an embarrassment of riches in terms of talent and form, St George Illawarra have now managed to squeeze Gasnier under the salary cap as part of a back-ended deal worth about $1 million over three years - plus other lucrative third-party agreements.
Gasnier, who turns 29 next month, announced he was leaving the Dragons midway through the 2008 season after third-party payments fell through, leaving him significantly out of pocket.
The dilemma Bennett now faces is how to use the superstar centre.
When the Dragons regain their full complement after Origin, the obvious move would be to inject Gasnier into his favoured right centre position and switch Scott to the back row for the rest of the season.
However, Scott was in superb touch in Friday night's 34-10 victory over Wests at WIN Jubilee Oval.
Not only was he at his punishing best in defence, he also made a stunning fleet-footed break which led to Kyle Stanley's try before half-time.
Another option would be to drop Stanley - who has scored five tries from as many NRL appearances this year - to the bench and switch Gasnier to the left until Matt Cooper returns from a hamstring injury.
Cooper is likely to be out for another month after suffering the hamstring problem in the Origin II loss to Queensland in Brisbane.
The complication for Bennett in moving Scott to the forwards to make way for Gasnier is how the Dragons will defend on the right edge.
Scott has defended inside Jamie Soward, a move by Bennett last year which sparked the five-eighth's amazing surge into NSW Origin selection consideration tonight.
There are concerns that despite all of Gasnier's amazing attacking talents, the Dragons could become defensively weaker on the right-hand side if Soward and Gasnier are defending next to each other, outside Scott, Neville Costigan or Jeremy Smith. Moving Gasnier to five-eighth or fullback is not a consideration for Bennett because of Soward and Darius Boyd's form in their respective positions.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...gaz-selection-puzzle/1869772.aspx?storypage=0

dragonzero

Juniors
An article by Gaz. He will be writing for the tele consistantly so I guess that they are one of his third party sponsors

I always knew I'd return to NRL, by Mark Gasnier

THE last game of rugby league I played was a semi-final against Manly at Brookvale Oval.

We were beaten convincingly, 38-6, but it's not the match that sticks in my mind - it was the feeling afterwards that deep down I knew I hadn't just played my last game of rugby league.

When I left to play rugby in France, everyone thought it was out of greed.

I'm not going to plead my innocence here but everyone who was closely involved knew that couldn't have been further from the truth.

Now the Dragons are allowing me to again wear the famous Red V at a time when they are having great success.

Many would be asking the question: do they need me? Well, I aim to prove they do.

After the contractual complications I had in 2008, France was the best thing for me. I was quite angry and bitter about what had happened, which showed in my mid-2008 form.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Having the time in Paris and travelling throughout Europe really cleared my head and I realised that holding grudges or being bitter was not going to get me anywhere.

To achieve what I wanted to, I would have to forget about what happened but also learn from it - as I'm sure everyone involved has.

I know there was a bit of press about me returning home to Super 14 in an attempt to play for the Wallabies.

And I did have some great conversations with people involved at different levels in rugby - particularly Rod Macqueen and Daniel Herbert, who were very professional and knowledgeable.

However, the burning desire to win an NRL competition was too strong and age was not on my side if I tried to achieve both.

I also spoke to other NRL clubs but was very honest and upfront in saying that the Dragons were my priority.

If they couldn't do anything, I still wanted to play rugby league.

I have heard some people say that I returned because of my father-in-law's battle with cancer.

Like too many families all over the world, we are locked in a battle with this terrible disease. But that's not the reason I chose to return.

I returned because it gives me a lot of enjoyment.

There are plenty of other reasons too - the opportunity to win a premiership, play under Wayne Bennett, finish my career in front of family and friends and play on Kogarah Oval again.

In saying all this, don't think for one second that I reckon this will be all roses.

I know I have a lot of damn hard work ahead of me, not just to get back to my best but to fit into the high standards the Dragons have set.

I'm confident the club's staff - both coaching and medical - can get the best out of me consistently.

As far as when I will play, it will purely be up to Wayne.

I've been training for the past three weeks, but it's very different training on your own compared to being in a team environment and doing game-related stuff.

I will let the staff assess how I'm going once I return and take it from there.

I do know one thing. When I play, I will be very excited to be doing so with my former teammates and the other great players at the Dragons.

And, of course, to once again be pulling on that red-and-white jersey.

big pat

Coach
What's so difficult about it? Gasnier was screwed by 3rd party arrangements and left the nrl as a result. The dragons honored their end of the contract and for that gasnier offered to give them the first option of his services upon return to the nrl. Gasnier honored that agreement and now it looks as if doust and bennett will take him up on his offer.

spot on jonesy, and we should make one thing clear, its obvious wayne wants him there, so that should be the end of it, and another thing how come gasnier played for nsw and australia if he was no good.:crazy:

Gaba

First Grade
in 2008 soward and gasnier were playing and the dragons were the 3rd best defensive team , under bennett i think gasnier will improve and there wont be much defensive liability as people may think

Godz Illa

Coach
haha I never check the news ltd websites so was unaware of the official announcement til I came in here. Glad he's finally on board, however devastated that that News is one of his third party sponsors!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
[FONT=&quot]MEDIA ALERT[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

28 June 2010

[FONT=&quot]DRAGONS MEDIA OPPORTUNITY[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
St George Ilawarra will today hold a media conference to officially announce the mid-season signing of Mark Gasnier.

WHAT: Dragons Official Announcement and Media Opportunity

WHEN: Today: Monday, June 28 – 3.00pm

[FONT=&quot]WHERE: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]WIN Jubilee Oval, Kogarah – Corporate Room within the Grandstand[/FONT]

Latest posts