What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Risk & Reward By Coaches

saintm

Juniors
Comparing French to Dufty. Did anyone notice how good French is under the high ball and how good his defence is for a small bloke. BA had this kid on his radar about 3 years ago. Brought him in slowly but I'm not sure you can compare the two. I reckon Dufty might get there but Bevan French is one of those freakish kids that we wish we had.
Dufty must have something going for him, he made a lot of junior rep teams that French didn't. Mary just can't see it.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
McGregor doesn't know how to coach, that is plainly obvious. His team selections each week are the easy choices......players who have had 1st grade experience.....here's the play go and train for it.
To bring in new players and actually have to coach them is too much of a risk for McGregor.
This is what is also filtering down into the NSW Cup squad as well. Head is not intetested in coaching them, he'd rather be the waterboy for 1st grade.
Last year JD had the Cutters playing quality football because he coached them and they played for him.
This year Snoopy Collins has the U20's doing the same.
McGregor and Head just aren't coaching simple as that.

possm

Coach
As said , his tactics paid dividends in the early part of the season , unfortunately the injuries and wear and tear on the forward pack has now appeared as a result . The man's selections continue to hinder any further improvement . All I can say is that he needs to take a punt and inject some younger blood into the team , as there is both speed and talent available in the Cutters .

I suggest this as , if we happen to make the finals the Dragons will require players that are game-breakers , more so if we are to go further than week one . All other coaches do take the same chances , wether it be because of injuries or SOO duties , they will put one of their club promising younger players in during such a period , in most cases the players do their clubs proud , I am sure that our own juniors would do likewise .
The current situation was all predicted and could have been avoided by mixing things up. A 'power game plan' every game produced the current results. A 'power game plan' when required together with dare I say an alternated plan B game plan might have produced a different result.

However, in my opinion a really good coach would have us in the top 4 all season because I'm sure:

1. McCrone would not have played 7 every game.
  2. Mann would have quickly asserted his claim for the 7 jumper.
  3. Dufty would be playing fullback by now with Dugan at right centre.
  4. Nightingale and Macdonald would be our wingers with instructions to take the high ball on the full.
  5. We would have kept Packer.
  6. We would have a hooker rotation.
  7. One of the following forwards; Sele, Host, Lawrie, Kerr, Leilua and Hind would have been given good game time each week.
  8. A young winger would have been blooded for 2018, possibly Field/Garrick/Herbert.

Last edited:

emu62

Juniors
Comparing French to Dufty. Did anyone notice how good French is under the high ball and how good his defence is for a small bloke. BA had this kid on his radar about 3 years ago. Brought him in slowly but I'm not sure you can compare the two. I reckon Dufty might get there but Bevan French is one of those freakish kids that we wish we had.

Imo we should have had first choice of French, His uncle Blacklock is a Saints legend & surely we should of got inside mail on this kid, maybe we did & our reply was too small

Drag Queen

Bench
Dufty must have something going for him, he made a lot of junior rep teams that French didn't. Mary just can't see it.
Interesting. I just looked up his career path and it stated 6 NRL teams were vying for French in 2013 including our club. I didn't realise he was Nathan Blacklock's nephew though. It would seem Brad Arthur may have better vision and coaching skills than what Dufty is currently receiving.

Drag Queen

Bench
Imo we should have had first choice of French, His uncle Blacklock is a Saints legend & surely we should of got inside mail on this kid, maybe we did & our reply was too small
I just looked at his career stats and apparently St George did chase him in 2013 along with 5 other clubs. Unfortunately he felt Parramatta was the best fit for him.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Slater also debuted on the wing and then transitioned to FB

Exactly ot
We sould be bringing then though.
Dufty to the wing is a great idea.
We have done it before.
I know it was a while ago but benny Creagh started on the wing at a young age and we all know how that ended up.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
The current situation was all predicted and could have been avoided by mixing things up. A 'power game plan' every game produced the current results. A 'power game plan' when required together with dare I say an alternated plan B game plan might have produced a different result.

However, in my opinion a really good coach would have us in the top 4 all season because I'm sure:

4. Nightingale and Macdonald would be our wingers with instructions to take the high ball on the full.
  7. One of the following forwards; Sele, Host, Lawrie, Kerr, Leilua and Hind would have been given good game time each week.
  8. A young winger would have been blooded for 2018, possibly Field/Garrick/Herbert.

Possm
I think you have got it right.
Mybe you would make a better coach.
You wouldn't be worse

watatank

Coach
The main time McGregor has given a young player a decent opportunity was Aitken, it helped that he was more than physically ready for first grade and we didn't have much depth at the time. Sele's development has also been handled well.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Mary has the IQ of twisted Dunlop Volleys.

Kevin Walters appears to be of the same ilk (ever heard him speak. It's like watching SBS without subtitles and I thought brad 'boys club" Fittler was bad)

1st & 10, with a brother named 'Boxhead'.... l don't think it is fair to speak ill of Kevin Walters. He's lucky to string two words together.

epDragon62

First Grade
You would think that with his future sorted for two years Mary would think longer term and bring in some fresh blood.

Surely he can see the benefits :rolleyes::oops:

GC Dragon

Juniors
Interesting. I just looked up his career path and it stated 6 NRL teams were vying for French in 2013 including our club. I didn't realise he was Nathan Blacklock's nephew though. It would seem Brad Arthur may have better vision and coaching skills than what Dufty is currently receiving.
Exactly . The main difference between French and Dufty is French has been given a crack by a coach who does have vision . Mary even though he has a 2 year extension still selects like this week could be his final game as a Nrl coach . His acceptance of mediocrity in a game followed by his defence of mediocrity at every press conference is becoming his trademark and what he will end up becoming most noted for .

Bench
If Mary keeps this pattern of not using some of the youngsters it will come back and bite him next season, will they be thrown into the deep end. Dufty or Field could have a, excuse the pun, field day running off Hunt.

Your hypothesis has a lot of merit but unfortunately, we are saddled with McGregor who is not qualified to coach FG.
He never should have even been appointed let alone extended.
The best opportunity we had to install a high quality coach was Jason Demetriou.
JD not only would have had us in the top 4 but, more importantly, had us playing an excellent and smart brand of football.
He also had the coaching ability to adapt to our game plan and compete with opposition coaches.
He would have had no problem introducing new faces because he would have provided the coaching guidance to help them adapt.
We are dead set stuck with McGregor's extension which is an unmitigated disaster.

Drag Queen

Bench
Your hypothesis has a lot of merit but unfortunately, we are saddled with McGregor who is not qualified to coach FG.
He never should have even been appointed let alone extended.
The best opportunity we had to install a high quality coach was Jason Demetriou.
JD not only would have had us in the top 4 but, more importantly, had us playing an excellent and smart brand of football.
He also had the coaching ability to adapt to our game plan and compete with opposition coaches.
He would have had no problem introducing new faces because he would have provided the coaching guidance to help them adapt.
We are dead set stuck with McGregor's extension which is an unmitigated disaster.
Possm you nailed it. Demetriou maybe our biggest loss.

possm

Coach
Yeah but doing what he did got a two year extension, why change that?
The deal amongst the 'old boys' was done way before the beginning of this season. All the noise about this was just that; fodder for the mob.

This rabble administration needs to be thrown out and a new buyer with new personnel needs to be put in place before the Club is reduced to a state of doom.