What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC 2025

bazza

Immortal
Australia, NZ and PNG games at home.
Officially hosted by “the Pacific”. Hit Albo up for some guaranteed financial support, otherwise it may be NZ as the prime rights holder.
yes - think on short notice NZ as main host with 1 -2 games each in Australia, PNG, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga

RedVee_8

Juniors
yes - think on short notice NZ as main host with 1 -2 games each in Australia, PNG, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga
Yep, but they should hit Albo up for $100m or so as this tournament fosters International good will, esp with our PNG and Pacific neighbours. If he stumps up the cash he can have it here.

taste2taste

Juniors
Does anyone know why rugby league fell away in France in the 1980s ?
Up to that piont they were strong in league regularly beating England and Australia, but they fell off a cliff in the 80s and 90s and have never returned to being a league powerhouse.

Anyone know the reason ?

siv

First Grade
So we cancel a RLWC because we might make a loss

Wonder how big a loss were they forecasting

Bulldog2020

Juniors
I know this is the boring option. But financially it may be best to say to the NSW & QLD Government that the higher bider of the two gets exclusive rights

Perth Red

Post Whore
and here comes the nrl happy to get rid of the World Cup…….

NRL chief Andrew Abdo says it is too early to determine whether Australia can assume hosting rights for the 2025 Rugby League World Cup after financial issues prompted France to pull out.

Whether or not the tournament is relocated to Australia, Abdo says the league remains focused on a five-year plan to grow the international game, details of which are expected imminently.

"Everyone in the game is really united around making sure that we revive and then we invest in international football," Abdo said.

"We're hard at work as to what that calendar looks like over the next five years. Hopefully very soon, we'll be able to talk more openly about what those plans look like.

"If we're not playing a World Cup in France, there are plenty of other really good opportunities for us to showcase international games."

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Up to that piont they were strong in league regularly beating England and Australia, but they fell off a cliff in the 80s and 90s and have never returned to being a league powerhouse.

Anyone know the reason ?

I guess is the short answer is their government . I mean there were issues a long time ago trying to ban the sport in the country.

It is a great shame I mean you mention the 80s and 90s, i think 1981 they toured Australia and were beaten by big margins against the Aussies in two tests and were due to tour in 1987 but cancelled.

I think 1982 when the Aussies toured there the results were close, 4 years earlier they beat Australia in the two tests, the last time anyone beat Australia in a series until 2005.

You look at the Kangaroo tours in 86, 90 and 94, their were heavy defeats and crowds were pretty low but I remember they were picked up in the 2000s. I think got a big crowd at Avignon against Ireland and then the 2013 world cup saw the biggest crowd there in 30.years.

I wonder what the crowds wouldve been like in Perpignan, Avignon, Caccassone, Toulouse.

I hope this doesn't damage the game in France maybe a chance for 2029?

taste2taste

Juniors
I guess is the short answer is their government . I mean there were issues a long time ago trying to ban the sport in the country.

It is a great shame I mean you mention the 80s and 90s, i think 1981 they toured Australia and were beaten by big margins against the Aussies in two tests and were due to tour in 1987 but cancelled.

I think 1982 when the Aussies toured there the results were close, 4 years earlier they beat Australia in the two tests, the last time anyone beat Australia in a series until 2005.

You look at the Kangaroo tours in 86, 90 and 94, their were heavy defeats and crowds were pretty low but I remember they were picked up in the 2000s. I think got a big crowd at Avignon against Ireland and then the 2013 world cup saw the biggest crowd there in 30.years.

I wonder what the crowds wouldve been like in Perpignan, Avignon, Caccassone, Toulouse.

I hope this doesn't damage the game in France maybe a chance for 2029?
2029 might be too late to save league in France, Union has 3 levels of professional domestic competitions, any talented youngster is going to choose Union, union is getting bigger and richer.
France currently only have 30k* registered league players, who knows how small that number might be by 2029

* happy to be proven wrong about that number, it's from hearing Vossy mention it during a game during the last wc

Gobsmacked

Bench
2029 might be too late to save league in France, Union has 3 levels of professional domestic competitions, any talented youngster is going to choose Union, union is getting bigger and richer.
France currently only have 30k* registered league players, who knows how small that number might be by 2029

* happy to be proven wrong about that number, it's from hearing Vossy mention it during a game during the last wc
It's my concern with France also. It's the main growth engine for Union- Unions NRL. Meanwhile Union is contracting in other places and league can capitalise ( super rugby an England)

docbrown

Coach
We definitely need to stick to 2025 to get clear air. There’s a lot happening in other years (olympics, soccer World Cup, rugby World Cup etc).

Keep the 2021 format of 16 teams 4 pools of 4. But to me the best approach is to go with as many double headers as possible at 40,000+ capacity venues. Have something like an Australia/Lebanon/Tonga pool, a New Zealand/Cook Islands pool, a PNG/Samoa pool, a Fiji/England pool. Obviously other teams fill up the other spots and would affect the allocation. But basically:

All 6 Australian pool games in Australia - basically 3 double headers - Lang Park, SFS, Docklands. Match the games to the right cities. You want a Lebanon game at the SFS. In Melbourne, Greece or Italy etc. You want 3 sell outs.

All 6 New Zealand pool games in New Zealand - all double headers

All 3 PNG teams games in PNG as stand alone games

All 3 Fiji team games in Fiji as stand alone games

1 Samoa team stand alone game in Samoa

The two other England games - 1 in Australia and 1 in New Zealand - to market to expats in both countries

The other games as double header undercard games before the bigger Australia, New Zealand, England and Samoa games. Except for say Tonga matches against other island teams.

Double headers will create more of the carnival type atmosphere - you’ve got four nationalities sitting through two games.

astreizix

Juniors

Anyone know the reason ?
Hi all,

IMO the main reason of the decline of french RL has its origin in the decision of their leaders in the 60's for not having perceived the importance that television was going to have.

They declined their proposals having been afraid that this diverts the public to go to stadiums when at that time precisely the crowds were good.

On the contrary RU took the empty place mainly with 5 Nations Championship and gradually brought out RL of the nation collective unconscious.

Some will say that we have made many other errors, certainly but all other sports have made it too and even much more serious, they will also say that we are paranoid towards media and Union game ...

I will take the words of a French humorist (Coluche) who said
"There will be some who will be black, small and ugly. And for them, it will be very hard."
and i say
"There will be some who will be french, rubyman and Treiziste. And for them, it will be very hard."

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Hi all,

IMO the main reason of the decline of french RL has its origin in the decision of their leaders in the 60's for not having perceived the importance that television was going to have.

They declined their proposals having been afraid that this diverts the public to go to stadiums when at that time precisely the crowds were good.

On the contrary RU took the empty place mainly with 5 Nations Championship and gradually brought out RL of the nation collective unconscious.

Some will say that we have made many other errors, certainly but all other sports have made it too and even much more serious, they will also say that we are paranoid towards media and Union game ...

"There will be some who will be black, small and ugly. And for them, it will be very hard."
and i say
"There will be some who will be french, rubyman and Treiziste. And for them, it will be very hard."
That television broadcast decision was the reason that I`d heard as well.

taste2taste

Juniors
Hi all,

and i say
Thank you for the information.

In your opinion, How do you see the future of Rugby League in France ?

Thank you

The Great Dane

First Grade
Is anybody actually surprised by this?

It had shitshow written all over it as soon as it was announced.

People suggesting that the NZRL takeover hosting rights are off their heads as well.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Hi all,

and i say
MLB did the same thing.

The MLB ownership group was slow to embrace TV for fear of the impact it would have on gate takings, while the NFL embraced TV, and the rest is history.

Last Week

Bench
We definitely need to stick to 2025 to get clear air. There’s a lot happening in other years (olympics, soccer World Cup, rugby World Cup etc).

Keep the 2021 format of 16 teams 4 pools of 4. But to me the best approach is to go with as many double headers as possible at 40,000+ capacity venues. Have something like an Australia/Lebanon/Tonga pool, a New Zealand/Cook Islands pool, a PNG/Samoa pool, a Fiji/England pool. Obviously other teams fill up the other spots and would affect the allocation. But basically:

All 6 Australian pool games in Australia - basically 3 double headers - Lang Park, SFS, Docklands. Match the games to the right cities. You want a Lebanon game at the SFS. In Melbourne, Greece or Italy etc. You want 3 sell outs.

All 6 New Zealand pool games in New Zealand - all double headers

All 3 PNG teams games in PNG as stand alone games

All 3 Fiji team games in Fiji as stand alone games

1 Samoa team stand alone game in Samoa

The two other England games - 1 in Australia and 1 in New Zealand - to market to expats in both countries

The other games as double header undercard games before the bigger Australia, New Zealand, England and Samoa games. Except for say Tonga matches against other island teams.

Double headers will create more of the carnival type atmosphere - you’ve got four nationalities sitting through two games.

I was actually thinking of potentially having it like magic round.

Week 1, all games at Suncorp. (8 matches over 3 or 4 days)
Week 2, all games at SFS. (8 matches over 3 or 4 days)
Week 3, all games in Melbourne. (8 matches over 3 or 4 days)
Week 4, all quarter finals at Forsyth Barr Stadium (Dunedin). (4 matches over 2 days)
Week 5, semi finals at Mt Smart. (2 matches on one day)
Week 6, final at Eden Park.

If you were touring from Europe, or even from the southern Hemisphere, you would really get your moneys worth for your holiday.

Latest posts