What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC TV Rating Thread

thorson1987

Coach
Agree, the cricket has hurt us over the past couple weeks but part of me is like, should the rlif (who organizes the WC) bow down to a 2 country comp? Ideally in hindsight, the WC would of been better to start 2 weeks earlier to save the clash. Especially with England playing in the final. Alternatively, there would of been plenty on here complaining that the rlif shouldn’t be dictated to by the ashes series. Who’s comp had the dates out the earliest?

So start the World Cup the week after the Super League played their grand final?

Yeah nah.

yakstorm

First Grade
Where are people pulling these massive figures for the 2008 Final? That match didn't even rank in the Top 20 shows for that year which means at most it couldn't of had anymore that 1.67m watching it in the 5Cap cities (Source: https://www.screenaustralia.gov.au/...rchive/top-programs/top-20-programs-1998-2009)

Considering we are around the 1m mark before regionals are added, I don't see how 2017 is 'half' of 2008?

user_nat

Coach
The 2008 final was 1.24m (without regionals). See:
https://tvtonight.com.au/2008/11/week-47.html
That was with a cricket lead in, instead of competition. Don't have a city split though unfortunately.

On last nights game. Brisbane rightfully has copped a beating for the crowd, but can we talk about how close the Sydney and Brisbane ratings are? That shouldn't happen.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That was with a cricket lead in, instead of competition. Don't have a city split though unfortunately.

On last nights game. Brisbane rightfully has copped a beating for the crowd, but can we talk about how close the Sydney and Brisbane ratings are? That shouldn't happen.

Sydney ratngs are generally sht when population difference is taken into account.

Stallion

First Grade
Sydney ratngs are generally sht when population difference is taken into account.

Thats the only way to look at things when comparing like for like. I noticed the relatively poor viewing figures in Sydney as well. Somethings not quite right in Sydney as far as the game goes. Also noted that rugby league's metropolitan world cup final tv ratings figures only include the 3 major cities instead of the five cities used for not only cricket but union and soccer? Rugby league once again not being treated equally compared to other codes!

DC_fan

Coach
Thats the only way to look at things when comparing like for like. I noticed the relatively poor viewing figures in Sydney as well. Somethings not quite right in Sydney as far as the game goes. Also noted that rugby league's metropolitan world cup final tv ratings figures only include the 3 major cities instead of the five cities used for not only cricket but union and soccer? Rugby league once again not being treated equally compared to other codes!

It is a conspiracy between, C.7, Media-week and Twitter. They are pushing fake news. I am on my phone this very minute to my local federal member calling for a Royal Commission. It is a disgrace in what is going on. Action needs to be taken and someone needs to spend time in prison.

Stallion

First Grade
It is a conspiracy between, C.7, Media-week and Twitter. They are pushing fake news. I am on my phone this very minute to my local federal member calling for a Royal Commission. It is a disgrace in what is going on. Action needs to be taken and someone needs to spend time in prison.

Perhaps you in jail for running the foil and being too ignorant to not see the unfairness?

wain

Juniors
Its just because it was on ch 7 in those 3 cities, but 7mate in the other cities. Its now been updated with 7mate and regionals.

wain

Juniors
Sat TV *updated* #RLWC2017 Grand Final #AUSvENG 1,382,000 #Seven Metro 842k (Syd 355k Mel 168k Bri 319k) Regional 440k #7mate Metro 91k (Ade 31k Per 60k) Regional 9k

DQF7lifVwAEZUAT.jpg

Stallion

First Grade
The RLWC tv figures were very impressive directly up against the Ashes session3 of the day/night test. With only 3 metropolitan cities included the rugby league was described as 'trouncing' session 3 of the cricket which had 5 cities to draw comparative figures from. That's a win for rugbyleague in anyone's figuring! Well done RLWC despite the poor scheduling and lack of publicity . A truelly great effort/result from this sport on tv!

Last edited:

yakstorm

First Grade

Thanks, okay so it's 933K v 1.24m. Not an ideal drop, but as mentioned TV audiences on FTA have dropped and fragmented since 08' plus we went head to head with the Cricket this time around...

Still, just like all tournament, solid numbers. Wonder how many live stream minutes were racked up.