What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robbie Farah

callmack1

Staff member
Cam smith was chosen to debut for origin because they were desperate. We are not. We have quality options in peats, koroisau and Wallace. The exact same thing happened to the dragons in 2015 I believe. It could of actually been 2014. I may be wrong on seasons. But they found themselves in the top 4 in the opening rounds and then went on a losing streak. The season isn't decided in 6 rounds. In fact it's probably worse to hit top form now rather than later in the season. A lot of teams can't maintain form for a whole season.
Correct, just like we were looking a we weren't in the greatest position this time in 2014.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Anyone watch the damien cook interview on rabbitohs facebook? I think what's revealed on their might answer the question on why the hell we signed farah.

First the timeline we've all thought was that
1. Mcinnes was dropped for cook.
2. Farah was signed
3. With farah signed, McInnes was forced out of the squad and went to the dragons.

But in cooks interview he reveals he only got a chance late in the year AFTER it was known Mcinnes was off to St George. After that he started hearing rumours of farah coming.

I always thought it was weird we chased farah. Cook is a good enough fill in and mcinnes had potential for the future. In that scenario Farah wasn't needed. But if what cook says is true we have the timeline wrong

1. McInnes decided to leave
2. Cook was given a chance to see out the year
3. Farah was signed.

So farah wasn't signed as a targetted plan, he was signed as a replacement for mcinnes. After Mcinnes left we only had cook in our squad who could play hooker, and even though he went ok at the back end of 2016, i don't think the club would have been confident in having him as our sole hooking option for the year, especially after he's poor first dozen games

alien

Referee
Cook should have replaced McInnes even sooner last year because McInnes wasn't good enough to be in first grade, and Cook was better than McInnes last year and still is better than McInnes! Farah was signed because WT are paying for most of his contract and every team needs a decent backup hooker in their 25 man squad! Why would we want McInnes when we already have 2 better hookers???

DiegoNT

First Grade
Cook should have replaced McInnes even sooner last year because McInnes wasn't good enough to be in first grade, and Cook was better than McInnes last year and still is better than McInnes! Farah was signed because WT are paying for most of his contract and every team needs a decent backup hooker in their 25 man squad! Why would we want McInnes when we already have 2 better hookers???
2 things.
1. You say why would you want mcinnes when you have 2 hookers who you think were better. A fair enough question. But we now may be finding out that Mcinnes was leaving way before any of this went down. It wasn't a case of why have mcinnes when we have cook and farah, mcinnes was already gone before we started chasing farah.

2. Cook did replace mcinnes earlier in the year. It was a failure.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Correct.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Cook replaced mcinnes, was a failure
Mcinnes replaced cook, we won the next 2 games and the third went to golden point
It's funny how people choose to remember what they want to.
Disregard the fact the whole forward pack was playing like busted arseholes, it was still Mcinnes fault.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I thinks statistically cook and McInnes are even when they both play 80 but why would we retain McInnes when he's gonna be more expensive than cook and he probably wanted to leave? Cook is a gun and has the X factor that we need through the ruck. If we're stuck on our 10 metre line on the first tackle. I would much prefer cook darting out of dummy half around the ruck than McInnes. In saying that cook does have to get better when we are closer to the try line. Something I hope he is working on. I wouldn't mind him running more and even practicing his kick. Another player who needs to run more is Adam Reynolds. He is a really good ball runner.

callmack1

Staff member
I thinks statistically cook and McInnes are even when they both play 80 but why would we retain McInnes when he's gonna be more expensive than cook and he probably wanted to leave? Cook is a gun and has the X factor that we need through the ruck. If we're stuck on our 10 metre line on the first tackle. I would much prefer cook darting out of dummy half around the ruck than McInnes. In saying that cook does have to get better when we are closer to the try line. Something I hope he is working on. I wouldn't mind him running more and even practicing his kick. Another player who needs to run more is Adam Reynolds. He is a really good ball runner.
I have noticed that Reyno is running more this year compared to previous seasons which is good.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Put aside the eternal cook vs mcinnes debate.

The question was asked why we signed an aging Farah.

Initially we thought getting farah was a thought out plan. If he's come as a replacement to mcinnes, and not that mcinnes was pushed out by farah's signing like we first thought, then that changes the rationale behind his signing.

Whatever your opinion on cook vs mcinnes goes out the window

If you are like me and think mcinnes is a great future prospect, farah's signature no longer meant mcinnes was pushed out. Mcinnes was leaving and we had to get a replacement

If you think cook is the greatest hooker in history, the story would no longer be we signed an aging rep player and he's cutting into what cook does. We lost cooks back-up in mcinnes and got a cheap back-up in farah.

If you think cook is ok but not sure yet if he can be a fulltime hooker in a team to challenge for finals, then we signed farah when we lost our other plan b in Mcinnes.

The signing of Farah was a puzzingly one, but if it's come after mcinnes has left, and it doesn't really matter what your opinion of mcinnes is, then it makes more sense

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Put aside the eternal cook vs mcinnes debate.

The question was asked why we signed an aging Farah.

Initially we thought getting farah was a thought out plan. If he's come as a replacement to mcinnes, and not that mcinnes was pushed out by farah's signing like we first thought, then that changes the rationale behind his signing.

Whatever your opinion on cook vs mcinnes goes out the window

If you are like me and think mcinnes is a great future prospect, farah's signature no longer meant mcinnes was pushed out. Mcinnes was leaving and we had to get a replacement

If you think cook is the greatest hooker in history, the story would no longer be we signed an aging rep player and he's cutting into what cook does. We lost cooks back-up in mcinnes and got a cheap back-up in farah.

If you think cook is ok but not sure yet if he can be a fulltime hooker in a team to challenge for finals, then we signed farah when we lost our other plan b in Mcinnes.

The signing of Farah was a puzzingly one, but if it's come after mcinnes has left, and it doesn't really matter what your opinion of mcinnes is, then it makes more sense

I'm pretty sure it happened before McInnes left. I remember the rumours circulating for a while before McInnes had signed a contract with the dragons. In fact I think the day we signed Farah. That was the same day McInnes signed with the dragons. McInnes would of known that Farah was coming to the club and liked his chances better at the dragons. I think to say that cook or McInnes are NSW standard is a bit far fetched but they are both good hookers. Cook just fits our playstyle better plus I'm sure the dragons would have given McInnes more than what cook is getting.

Rsag85

Bench
Hearing a interview with McInnes he said at the dragons he has more freedom to play what is infront of him. At the Bunnies he was to controlled in his role in the side. This is why his natural game has come about at the dragons. I think Madge is to structured in the way he has the team. I can see McInnes playing a lot of rep footy in the future.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Hearing a interview with McInnes he said at the dragons he has more freedom to play what is infront of him. At the Bunnies he was to controlled in his role in the side. This is why his natural game has come about at the dragons. I think Madge is to structured in the way he has the team. I can see McInnes playing a lot of rep footy in the future.
Madge is letting Cook do his thing though.

McInnes had many opportunities with us and clearly failed.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I'm sick of the McTurtle talk.

He's gone and rightly so, so that should be the end of that. Good riddance!!!!!!

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Agreed, Hes already played more rep footy than Cook.