What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rod Marsh to stand down as national selector

TheParraboy

Staff member
Hopefully MWaugh and T Hohns to follow soon after

We need guys to reward an australian selection, not use it to trial players. A cleanout of our selectors might not be a bad thing

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/1061503.html

Australia's chairman of selectors, Rod Marsh, will end his tenure in 2017 after telling Cricket Australia he will not continue beyond his current contract.

Marsh was originally appointed to the selection panel in 2011 under then chairman of selectors John Inverarity, and took over the leadership of the panel when Inverarity departed in 2014.

"We can confirm that Rod Marsh has decided not to continue on in his role as national selector once his contract expires in June 2017," a Cricket Australia spokesperson said. "At this stage no decision has been made on a replacement."

The 2016-17 summer will therefore be the last under the current selection panel of Marsh, Trevor Hohns, Mark Waugh and coach Darren Lehmann.

Marsh's panel oversaw a period during which Australia briefly regained the No.1 Test ranking earlier this year in New Zealand, but there have also been ongoing struggles, especially on tours away from home.

The Australians were beaten 2-0 by Pakistan in the UAE in 2014, lost the Ashes in England last year, and were humiliated 3-0 by Sri Lanka this year.

In the shorter formats, the 2015 World Cup triumph was the highlight of Marsh's time at the helm, and Australia continue to be ranked No.1 in the world in ODI cricket despite their 5-0 loss in South Africa this month.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
They'll promote either Junior or Cracka from within. I cant see a newbie going straight to Chairman without doing time as a selector.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Marsh was an even bigger dud than the Fossil, hard to believe. He won't be missed.

Honestly how hard is it to pick the best players???

OVP

Coach
Hopefully MWaugh and T Hohns to follow soon after

We need guys to reward an australian selection, not use it to trial players. A cleanout of our selectors might not be a bad thing

Mark Waugh might go ok without the dud influence of Marsh and Hohns, I'd probably keep him there.

But Trevor Hohns is the unflushable turd of Australian cricket. The guy was a total nuffy as a player and even worse as a selector. How the hell he remains in the job is the biggest mystery in the country. He seriously has to have photos of someone.

I'd like to see an ex-bowler, say someone like Glenn McGrath, as a selector as well to avoid the bowling selection disaster of the current Sth Africa tour. What the hell do batsmen know about bowlers ? Two batsmen and a bowler would be perfect. My ideal selection panel would be comprised of people who actually achieved things in the game.
Say M. Waugh, S. Waugh and Glen McGrath. Of course that's entirely dependent on whether or not they want the job.

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
M Waugh lost me last summer when he asked about a bowler (was it paris or boland?) being picked over others who were performing better, his response was to say "it it a gut instinct" about 4 times in his reply.

Wether this reply was an influence from the other selectors maybe? but it came off as amateurish and a slap in the face to other more deserving bowlers

Meapro Ham

Juniors
Tough crowd. I really can't remember too many examples of them getting it glaringly wrong during Marsh's time. Not sure what you're all on about. It's definitely way better now that it was under the fossil.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Tough crowd. I really can't remember too many examples of them getting it glaringly wrong during Marsh's time. Not sure what you're all on about. It's definitely way better now that it was under the fossil.
You must of missed the last tour of Sri Lanka and the Ashes debacle. And wasnt Marsh in the job for our 4 nil hiding in India and then our Ashes loss in 2013???? Some of the people that have been handed international honours the last few years has been embarrassing and the continual picking of MMarsh no matter how poorly he does is baffling.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
You must of missed the last tour of Sri Lanka and the Ashes debacle. And wasnt Marsh in the job for our 4 nil hiding in India and then our Ashes loss in 2013???? Some of the people that have been handed international honours the last few years has been embarrassing and the continual picking of MMarsh no matter how poorly he does is baffling.

You must have missed it when we got to number 1 test ranking. It hasn't been all that bad. I think you're forgetting how bad it was under the fossil and Micky Arthur.

Sri Lanka was a bummer but Aussies just struggle in the subcontinent. I don't think you can blame that on the selectors..

hineyrulz

Post Whore
You must have missed it when we got to number 1 test ranking. It hasn't been all that bad. I think you're forgetting how bad it was under the fossil and Micky Arthur.

Sri Lanka was a bummer but Aussies just struggle in the subcontinent. I don't think you can blame that on the selectors..
Jon Holland = check and mate.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Right. A last minute pick due to injury. Took 5 wickets in a couple of tests against SL in their own backyard. Hardly anything conclusive there. No checkmate I'm afraid.
If you think Holland should of been an option you are smoking the same stuff that Marsh has been. 5 wickets and at what cost??? He's a fat 29 year old plodder who has never been close to being international standard let alone a test option.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
If you think Holland should of been an option you are smoking the same stuff that Marsh has been. 5 wickets and at what cost??? He's a fat 29 year old plodder who has never been close to being international standard let alone a test option.

Yeah sure. And who would you have picked that would have done any better genius?

Game set and match. And checkmate. :rolleyes:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yeah sure. And who would you have picked that would have done any better genius?

Game set and match. And checkmate. :rolleyes:
With a tour to India coming up Zampa had to be the choice going forward, i mean the guy who bowls a few part time eggies in our 3rd grade side would of been a better option then that fat plodding Victorian.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
With a tour to India coming up Zampa had to be the choice going forward, i mean the guy who bowls a few part time eggies in our 3rd grade side would of been a better option then that fat plodding Victorian.

Zampa? With his first class average of 50? You would have picked him? Dear oh dear. Quit while your behind

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Zampa? With his first class average of 50? You would have picked him? Dear oh dear. Quit while your behind
So picking a fat 29 yr old plodder with an average hovering around that mark is fine??? At least Zampa has age on his side and would of been an investment into the future. And at least he had shown something at international level unlike your mate Holland. But go on tell us all the great decision's Marsh has made since he was given the gig???

TheParraboy

Staff member

Also the t20 world cup fiasco, trialling so many players at home where india had a settled side and tonked us, of course we got tonked in the WC as well

We got the 2015 world cup right, and Marsh;s best work was probably at the centre of excellence in Brisbane well before he was a selector. Other than that, glad he is gonski

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Marsh has quit early from today, an emergency meeting tonight to decide on a new temporary head selector.

Sorry, no source.