What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ROUND 10 v WT

callmack1

Staff member
Another good sign I forgot to mention is that even in difficult conditions, we seemed to move the ball a lot more which was good to see. Also there were a lot more offloads which was also great.

Pommy

Coach
Another good sign I forgot to mention is that even in difficult conditions, we seemed to move the ball a lot more which was good to see. Also there were a lot more offloads which was also great.

It felt like we had more in the first 20 mins than we did in the rest of the season. I just wish Sam would stop his very speculative attempts.

doyen

Bench
You say that but next week Cook will be the standout hooker and everyone will be crying out that Farah is a waste of space and that Cook should be playing the entire 80 etc. Let's face it - we are blessed in having two quality hookers and playing both of them has worked well so far this season so why change it? In saying that, Maguire also has the option rotating them based on how they are performing during games. I just don't see what the issue is and why we need to change anything. The hooking role has had absolutely no bearing on why we have lost the games we have this season!

You have said that RL is a team sport & also that 2 key players,our hookers, have had NO bearing on why we have lost the bulk of our games.

I take it that Farah & Cook are part of the team, & as key position players,are expected to play a fairly major role!! Farah is clearly,even in the twilight of his career, the superior of the two & is still an 80 min.performer!!

souths_reborn

Juniors
You have said that RL is a team sport & also that 2 key players,our hookers, have had NO bearing on why we have lost the bulk of our games.

I take it that Farah & Cook are part of the team, & as key position players,are expected to play a fairly major role!! Farah is clearly,even in the twilight of his career, the superior of the two & is still an 80 min.performer!!
Yes I said those things. The reason why we have been losing games has been predominantly because our last tackle options have been poor. Unfortunately the blame has to lie with Adam Reynolds for those because that is predominantly what he is there for; it is his main strength! Couple with this has been defensive lapses by our outside backs, in particular our left hand edge - that is why Talakai was dropped! The hookers for the most part have been doing their jobs and performing admirably. Yes rugby league is a team game but everyone has to pull their weight and do their jobs; both our hookers most certainly have been!

souths_reborn

Juniors
Which other forwards are inconsistent?
Kyle Turner and Jason Clark are the 2 most heavily criticesed, yet they are incredibly consitent. You'll always get your 30-35 tackles and 75-90m of Turner and similar from clark off the bench. For what they are payed we get great value out of them. Similar with musgrove. His a young forward and makes the odd mistake but you know what you are going to get from them.
Guys like rochow, cherrington etc play like the fringe first graders they are and are being payed accordingly.

The 3 burgii are our highest paid forwards.
The twins play more bad games then good. Every now and again they'll play like the old twins, but usually they play flat tired and lethargic and regularly have a shocker like Toms performance last night.
Sam is paid huge money. We've made a lot of sacrifices to sign him back on the basis that a game like last night's would be a regular thing but it's not.
He's performances this year vary wildly. Some weeks he struggles to get over 100m others he makes 200m+ easily. Some weeks it looks like his going through the motions with his hit ups, others he looks like he is trying to run over the top of people. Some weeks he looks like he is trying to hurt people with his tackling other weeks he is barely flopping into tackles.
The performance he put in last night has been a rare thing since his return.
I've been critical of Turner in the past and rightly so but this season he has improved since he has been moved to the front row - go figure that one. In saying that, I think he has been mediocre in a couple of games this season but on the whole he has been good. The key offenders in terms of consistency are the likes of the Burgess twins, Sutton, Crichton and Musgrove. You can forgive the likes of Crichton and Musgrove because they are inexperienced players are first grade level and performing at a high level week in, week out is always the hardest thing for any young player. In saying that, there are no excuses for the Burgess twins! I've probably been a bit harsh in questioning the consistency of our forwards because they have been pretty good in nearly all time of our games this season. As I've explained before, the biggest reason why we've lost the games we have is because of our last tackle options and the defensive lapses of our outside backs - if anyone has been inconsistent it is our backline! That was arguably the most pleasing thing to come out of last nights performance - we've stumbled on a backline that communicates well in defence!

greg jay

Juniors
Smiths Crisps FOREVER!!! Cant YOU take a laugh dude???
"Smith's Crisps", "Balmange Tigers", you're stuck in the past old man!

Go the mighty Fujitsu Air Conditioning / Crown Resorts! :D
Smiths Crisps forever dude!!! Test Match Fenech Pauly Roberts Big Robot Ian Bundy Chisholm Blakey Cruickshank BRONKO DJORO [ as The Pigg called him he could not even pronounce Bronko's name correctly!!!]....And hey bring back HENDERSON GILL too... What an EXCITEMENT MACHINE Love that guy!!! Arriba Henderson!!!

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member

Smiths Crisps forever dude!!! Test Match Fenech Pauly Roberts Big Robot Ian Bundy Chisholm Blakey Cruickshank BRONKO DJORO [ as The Pigg called him he could not even pronounce Bronko's name correctly!!!]....And hey bring back HENDERSON GILL too... What an EXCITEMENT MACHINE Love that guy!!! Arriba Henderson!!!
He was a West's fan back then, so he probably wouldn't know

Travitoh

First Grade
I believe Brooks will go well with a no nonsense, experienced 5/8 next to him. He could still become the best of the 3.

Farah is the better of the two imo but it doesn't matter who the hooker is, i just feel that 1 suits us better than having two.

Sam played more like a prop last night, he ran hard for the first time this season and as a result they struggled to stop him. I don't know if he realises his own strength but there aren't many defences that will contain him if he runs like that

themacemaceman

Juniors
I agree Calmack.
But remember some would say "Madge has no plan B" !

Pommy

Coach
I agree Calmack.
But remember some would say "Madge has no plan B" !

What suggested Madge did have a plan B last night? The game was pretty one sided, we didn't end up on the back foot and need to change. Had that been the case Madge wouldn't have had a plan B and we would have got thumped as per usual.

themacemaceman

Juniors
What suggested Madge did have a plan B last night? The game was pretty one sided, we didn't end up on the back foot and need to change. Had that been the case Madge wouldn't have had a plan B and we would have got thumped as per usual.

I mean as opposed to bash and barge.
But I get your point as we didn't need a plan B in last nights game as plan A worked.

themacemaceman

Juniors

A great era mate I was 15-16 about this time. I've still got my smiths crisps jersey with no12 on it as I was a huge Mario fan.
The size was so big it still fits me 30 years later.
I was living in Cessnock at the time and the Bunnies were playing a trial game there in about 1988-1989 against Para.
It rained for about three days straight and the game was moved to Redfern so I was devastated.

Robyne Glover

Juniors
I would like to give Madge a pat on the back, he took a gamble, seven
Positional changes and it bloody worked, geez after watching the Titans
beat the Storm tonite, I can only wish we could pull off a miracle on my bucket list

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
images

Latest posts