What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 Vs the Warriors

betcats

Referee
The difference between the two halves? The players.
*Stopped doing stupid shit.
*Fired the f**k up.
Nothing to do with f**king game plans.

Well one big change in the game plan was us being allowed to use grubbers and other attacking kicks besides the bomb, that made a big difference to our last tackle options. We were also a bit deeper than we have been all year in the second half.

I am stoked with that win and very happy with the way we held the ball and defended in the 2nd half but I think that 2nd half says a lot more about the warriors then it does us. Confidence is massive though, the knights should be a lay up next week so we will see how the team handles that.

Also CHN, the guy is all effort. One of our best kick chasers, it was him who tapped the ball back to Cartwright in the 2nd half and if it's on his side he puts great pressure on opposing kickers and does all the one percenters that a struggling team like us is not good at it. I rate jfh highly but I think CHN starts over him for now, fish is injured again so it's a moot point ATM.

Griffin was asked about Cartwright staying at 6 after the game and he said his form is very patchy(obviously)" but he is important to the team whether that's at 6 or lock we will see down the road. Just thought it was interesting he mentioned carty to lock without being prompted at all.

Last edited:
Griffin was asked about Cartwright staying at 6 after the game and he said his form is very patchy(obviously)" but he is important to the team whether that's at 6 or lock we will see down the road. Just thought it was interesting he mentioned carty to lock without being prompted at all.

That is very interesting.

Looks like lock then is the long term plan, which is great news. He can participate in the ball playing without the pressure of 5/8.

Now not wanting to get my hopes up but this makes Moylan's move to 5/8 much more likely.

The commentators mentioned in both grades that Edwards should be fullback. Which we all know but its good that the pressure is building on Griffin now

mxlegend99

Referee
If Carty moves to lock. Surely Moylan would move to 6 considering Te Maire Martin is all but gone. Although it wont happen this year if it all IMO.

Dylan Edwards obviously belongs in first grade. Whether it is he or DWZ returning kicks we have upgraded from Moylan a great deal anyway. Personally I think Edwards would be better due to the way he can read a game. His positioning is unreal.

Still leaves us with a hole at hooker though. Our 20s hooker is a long way from being NRL ready... and in all honesty the side he carved up are yet to win a game and Warriors are not known for being good at travelling. But he does appear to be smart and our best option in the next few years.

mxlegend99

Referee
Yeo made 32 tackles with 0 missed last night, such a great player.
By far our best forward. His defence is good but its his attitude that is incredible. He gives 100% on every play.

Guys like Tamou. RCG. Merrin etc. Look to have lazy moments or to be going in half hearted at times.

Funnily enough after several people were defending Brownes selection for not missing tackles he comes out and tops the missed tackle count for our forwards. 16 tackles for 3 missed.

Check out the Warriors forwards stats. They look like ours from the past 5 or 6 games. Hoffman and Thompson missed 11 tackles between them.

If Carty moves to lock. Surely Moylan would move to 6 considering Te Maire Martin is all but gone. Although it wont happen this year if it all IMO.

Dylan Edwards obviously belongs in first grade. Whether it is he or DWZ returning kicks we have upgraded from Moylan a great deal anyway. Personally I think Edwards would be better due to the way he can read a game. His positioning is unreal.

Still leaves us with a hole at hooker though. Our 20s hooker is a long way from being NRL ready... and in all honesty the side he carved up are yet to win a game and Warriors are not known for being good at travelling. But he does appear to be smart and our best option in the next few years.

Perhaps the club shouldn't be worrying about Cronk (they very well may not be anyway) and instead recruit a hooker.

Gould was pretty adamant that our top 30 for next year is already at the club though.

Fangs

Coach
Funnily enough after several people were defending Brownes selection for not missing tackles he comes out and tops the missed tackle count for our forwards. 16 tackles for 3 missed.

To be fair a couple of those misses were some 'big shots' he was trying to put on in the Warriors 20. Flew past and didn't come close. He and a couple other forwards were trying to speak something late in the first half and were guilty of trying to hard. Like Tamou I'd still back him to keep our D tight.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Perhaps the club shouldn't be worrying about Cronk (they very well may not be anyway) and instead recruit a hooker.

Gould was pretty adamant that our top 30 for next year is already at the club though.

Gould says a lot of things then does the opposite.

Last year he said we were full and weeks later he signs Mitch Rein.

Kilkenny

Coach
A couple of obscure observations from yesterdays game;

1. From our position in the Western Stand observed the fact Trent Merrin was livid at being subbed in the early minutes of the second period. He was NOT happy and stood on the side line for the entire time he was on the bench until re-entering the game late.

2. Bryce Cartwright's dad was involved in a rather ugly 'discussion' with fellow Panther fan's immediately following the conclusion of the first half. I wasn't privy to what transpired beforehand it obviously evolved from frustrated fans 'vocal' in there criticism of Bryce's performance. Leave it at that.

3. J.F.H can no longer be selected in the top grade until his body is healed and he is fully match fit. His current inability to play long minutes without sustaining injury is a liability when there our others who can perform in the same role without the same issues ie C.H.N.

4. Despite our great comeback from behind win the highlight for me was Waqa Blake and seeing a real athlete in full flight chasing down a runaway Warriors winger. Given the Warriors winger caught the ball on the fly, the fact Waqa was able to run him down from a standing start, having to turn and chase was inspirational even if it highlights the lack of pace from our other three quarters.

5. The long term resigning of Dean Whare is a mystery given he is a defensive centre for the most part and surely we need more attacking options in our three quarter line.

6. I have no supporters on here in saying Moylan's best position is fullback but given TMM is leaving I am now prepared to accept the fact we need to move Moylan to 5/8 and Edwards to fullback from this point forward to having any chance of making a late play for the top eight.

bebo

Juniors

1. From our position in the Western Stand observed the fact Trent Merrin was livid at being subbed in the early minutes of the second period. He was NOT happy and stood on the side line for the entire time he was on the bench until re-entering the game late.

2. Bryce Cartwright's dad was involved in a rather ugly 'discussion' with fellow Panther fan's immediately following the conclusion of the first half. I wasn't privy to what transpired beforehand it obviously evolved from frustrated fans 'vocal' in there criticism of Bryce's performance. Leave it at that.

3. J.F.H can no longer be selected in the top grade until his body is healed and he is fully match fit. His current inability to play long minutes without sustaining injury is a liability when there our others who can perform in the same role without the same issues ie C.H.N.

4. Despite our great comeback from behind win the highlight for me was Waqa Blake and seeing a real athlete in full flight chasing down a runaway Warriors winger. Given the Warriors winger caught the ball on the fly, the fact Waqa was able to run him down from a standing start, having to turn and chase was inspirational even if it highlights the lack of pace from our other three quarters.

5. The long term resigning of Dean Whare is a mystery given he is a defensive centre for the most part and surely we need more attacking options in our three quarter line.

6. I have no supporters on here in saying Moylan's best position is fullback but given TMM is leaving I am now prepared to accept the fact we need to move Moylan to 5/8 and Edwards to fullback from this point forward to having any chance of making a late play for the top eight.
Point 2 , I was nearby and the argument started which I assume was Bryces mum and 1 man only when this so called fan attacked the woman in question Bryce's dad stepped in as did his I believe Bryces younger brother it was a storm in a tea cup situation but the so called fan was very aggressive towards the lady until the men stood up

Kilkenny

Coach
Point 2 , I was nearby and the argument started which I assume was Bryces mum and 1 man only when this so called fan attacked the woman in question Bryce's dad stepped in as did his I believe Bryces younger brother it was a storm in a tea cup situation but the so called fan was very aggressive towards the lady until the men stood up

I am not trying to escalate a 'storm in a tea cup' I am simply stating the obvious.

Our fans are frustrated big time. Bryce should be doing on our right side offence what Isaah Yeo is doing on the left side.

From where I was sitting there was the same amount of frustration with Bryce that there obviously was down at ground level where Bryce's parent were sitting. I am not saying it is his fault he is being played out of position and while we got away with it in the latter stages of 2016 the same is not going to occur this season.

For god's sake our coach need's to get Bryce out of the number 6 and play him where he needs to be playing to deliver his best!!!!

Re Dean Whare

Totally agree his 5 year deal is ridiculous. Another puzzling decision by Gus.

To me though at his peak Dean Whare is a centre who sets up his winger. That huge season Simmons had in 2014 was in large part to Whare, his positioning in attack set up many of those try's.

So he may not be a centre who creates scoring for himself but I wouldn't say he's solely a defensive centre.

All that said he needs to go down to reserves to get back his confidence.

I am not trying to escalate a 'storm in a tea cup' I am simply stating the obvious.

Our fans are frustrated big time. Bryce should be doing on our right side offence what Isaah Yeo is doing on the left side.

From where I was sitting there was the same amount of frustration with Bryce that there obviously was down at ground level where Bryce's parent were sitting. I am not saying it is his fault he is being played out of position and while we got away with it in the latter stages of 2016 the same is not going to occur this season.

For god's sake our coach need's to get Bryce out of the number 6 and play him where he needs to be playing to deliver his best!!!!

Come to believe Bryce isn't a second rower, at least not yet. He's much more suited to lock I think, use his short passing game and offloads. Running hard just isn't his strength.

Kilkenny

Coach
His two try assists from last night make his deficiencies....

Get him a couple of passes away from the play the ball area and give him some latitude to offload that is where Bryce can do the business.

Latest posts