What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 12 vs the Dragons

TheFrog

Coach
This. Our next game is against the biggest pack in the comp. The rest will be good.
They are big allright, but not very fit and not very smart. They did get over a depleted Manly, just, so that's something.

With players backing up this will be a tough ask less than 48 hours after Origin. I'm hoping Cotric and Papalii are selected to even things up a bit.

OldPanther

Coach
They are big allright, but not very fit and not very smart. They did get over a depleted Manly, just, so that's something.

With players backing up this will be a tough ask less than 48 hours after Origin. I'm hoping Cotric and Papalii are selected to even things up a bit.

We certainly have them for stamina and skill in the forwards. Our bench rotation should also massacre them.

Their only hope is to bash us out of it in the first 15 minutes which will be difficult having 2 weeks off and our halves at full confidence (hopefully) after origin.

Exsilium

First Grade
Great work by Katoa in the Cleary try getting into dummy half so quickly following the Peachy break. It's those little things that often go unnoticed.

He’s really putting the writing on the wall for Wallace.

With exception to the origin period and possibly needing to cover two halves, he’s looking to be done if Katoa and Egan keep going the way they are.

tripster

Juniors
Copied and pasted these statistics from another poster on reddit (someone called Young Rust). They reveal a pretty incredible domination of the Dragons in the forwards (although Yeo's metres would be reflecting by his 35 run in the clear following Maloney's line break - still an awesome performance)

Yeo with 181 meters, 71 post contact, 1 linebreak, 2 tackle breaks and 29 tackles for a 100% efficiency.

Kikau with 145 meters, 65 post contact, 7 tackle breaks, 1 line break, 1 line break assist and a try

Merrin had 140 meters, 53 post contact and 3 cheeky offloads.

RCG had 114 meters, 29 post contact, a try and 32 tackles for 94% tackle efficiency. Not huge meters, but some massive impact and sucked in plenty of defenders.

0 dragons forwards cracked 100 meters.

In the backs:

DWZ with 267 meters - 147 were kick return meters - and 63 post contact with 3 tackle busts.

Peach also had 179 meters, 47 post contact, 6 tackle breaks and 1 line break

Whare, Crighton and Phillips also all hit triple figures.

Only 3 players (Nightingale with 122, Lafai with 102 and Aitkens with 100) hit triple figures for the Dragons.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
Didn’t realise till now but our ISP game v Mounties was a 1 v 2 game as well as Mounties were on top till yesterday.

We thumped them 34-14. My first real look at Billy Burns and he was very impressive.

Didn’t get to see the Jersey Flagg but they did well to come back after down 16-6 to run out comfortable winners 36-16 so they are running 3rd two points off the ladder leader. Both our wingers Justin Jones & Brian Too bagged doubles.

It’s a little sad in a way but at present we are a production line of talent for other clubs to benefit from. In the next couple of seasons I can potentially see a dozen or more of our younger players playing NRL at other clubs and that may be a conservative number.

tripster

Juniors
Didn’t realise till now but our ISP game v Mounties was a 1 v 2 game as well as Mounties were on top till yesterday.

I had no idea either. I was at the ground for the start of the second half, and it didn't even look a fair contest. I assumed the Mounties must have been low on the ladder...

age.s

First Grade
It's easy to spot people who don't watch our games by how they rate Yeo.

Finchy called him "unassuming" and "workmanlike". Yeah ok champ. Pretty clear all you've seen of him is his headshot.

tripster

Juniors
It's easy to spot people who don't watch our games by how they rate Yeo.

Finchy called him "unassuming" and "workmanlike". Yeah ok champ. Pretty clear all you've seen of him is his headshot.

I completely agree. I was listening to 2GB (I normally avoid it but it was the only station still going with post match discussion on the drive home after the game) and a caller rang in from Western Australia saying how under rated Yeo is and how he should be talked about in the context of SOO.

It was pretty clear that whomever was on the radio for 2GB at that point (I think it was a 'Mark' and someone else) didn't really have a clue who he was. They said something like 'well he certainly had a good game tonight' - but weren't able to take the discussion any further.

franklin2323

Immortal

We thumped them 34-14. My first real look at Billy Burns and he was very impressive.

Didn’t get to see the Jersey Flagg but they did well to come back after down 16-6 to run out comfortable winners 36-16 so they are running 3rd two points off the ladder leader. Both our wingers Justin Jones & Brian Too bagged doubles.

It’s a little sad in a way but at present we are a production line of talent for other clubs to benefit from. In the next couple of seasons I can potentially see a dozen or more of our younger players playing NRL at other clubs and that may be a conservative number.

Flegg's 2nd half was so good. 1st in NRL, 1st in NSW Cup. 2nd in Flegg the club is really flying this year.

Burns was Flegg's best last year and started this year well. He looks very promising. May/Luai worked well together and could be an option should we lose both halves too Origin

age.s

First Grade
I completely agree. I was listening to 2GB (I normally avoid it but it was the only station still going with post match discussion on the drive home after the game) and a caller rang in from Western Australia saying how under rated Yeo is and how he should be talked about in the context of SOO.

It was pretty clear that whomever was on the radio for 2GB at that point (I think it was a 'Mark' and someone else) didn't really have a clue who he was. They said something like 'well he certainly had a good game tonight' - but weren't able to take the discussion any further.

He doesn't look scary. Doesn't have any tatts, doesn't start fights, doesn't glare menacingly, not built like a giant and has a boring haircut. Doesn't get caught in strip clubs or shot at at the cross. Doesn't make stupid gestures when he scores tries.

Theres other factors but I think the fashion related ones are huge. If "analysts" actually evaluated players on things like sticking to tackles, carrying several players on your back for 5+ meters on the regular, running clever lines all while being agile enough to play in the centers you wouldn't have guys like Aaron Woods still being talked up for Origin despite being pure plod in a team full of plod.

Dudes a stud. Just about my favorite Panther atm and that's really saying something.

Panther Pete

Juniors
There is still an awful long way to go in this season but if we keep playing anything like we did last night, it will take a very good team to beat us. I have been critical of Griffin in the past as we didn't really seem to have any structure or plan but the way we have been playing for the most part this year is almost Storm-like. The forwards are playing with such aggression and intensity it leave our halves ( who would have to be in top 2 or 3 halves pairing in the comp) to do their thing. I really can't see a weakness in the side at the moment, the huge test will be if can we keep it going through the second half of the season.

maple_69

Bench
I get it. It’s the same reason none of us probably had him pegged as a star coming into first grade. He doesn’t skittle defenders, pop offloads or snap people in half. He doesn’t miss tackles or make errors and he runs great lines and always pushes well over the advantage line. He isn’t the reason we score tries but he is a big part of the reason that our pack is always on top and rolling. We really do have a phenomenally well balanced pack.

TheFrog

Coach
He’s really putting the writing on the wall for Wallace.
Some tough decisions ahead for Griffin. Does he drop Wallace to reserve grade? Does he drop Whare, who played very well last night? You put Peachey on the bench alongside a second dummy half, it's a very light bench. Or does Peachey come on as dummy half?