What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 - Rabbitohs vs Raiders: Saturday 27th May 7:35pm @Accor Stadium

truthslayer

Juniors
Well what we learned from last nights game is that Cheekam , Knight and Cartwright are not up to it. Milne was pathetic and defence across the park a joke.We also learned that without our origin players we are ordinary. LEAVE TALLIS DUNCAN in the 17 he’s much more talent than Liam Knight. Taafe is not a first grade fullback , smashed in his returns and defence ordinary.Cheekam made 51 metres and hardly terrifying the opposition, Knight made a feeble 51 metres and was spent after 10 minutes. Walker a standout, with Tom and Davy out and Graham , sadly we are only just a team, with all our players back we can still win the premiership, but the coach needs to pull his head in with players not up to it.I won’t dwell on ref but their are some poor inconsistent ruining a game.That was not the reason we lost. A welcome return to koala, and Johnston scoring again.THE COACH NEEDS TO DELIVER SOME TRUTHS to certain players.

callmack1

Staff member
Very grumpy this morning...

Walker brilliance unable to help Rabbitohs overcome Raiders: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/rd-13-match-report

Press Conference - Round 13: https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/telstra-premiership/2023/round-13/rabbitohs-round-13/

Raiders pull off emotional comeback win after star suffers mid-game seizure - 3 Big Hits: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/e366b4e646a5d0fe8554455fda4d4c1e

Players unite in class act after Raiders star collapses in frightening scenes: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...3/news-story/caea12cd80862f14d0c168c7643a2e06

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Finished watching I feel like there are two reasons we lost one being Tapine and Papali’i had a field day with us greatly missing Murray, Arrow and Tom. And the second one is our right edge haemorrhaged points it was so bad. Oh that Raiders second last try Jed was caught so far in field on previous tackle and it left Duncan and Milne outnumbered and they had an overlap. On the last one Lachy and Jed both missed their assignment and Wighton made us pay.

I feel like the effort was there but we were just on the back foot. If Campbell was there I actually think we win.

We just do not have any depth in the outside backs as we know.

People hanging Milne out to dry he didn’t have the best night but I actually feel he’s competent when Campbell plays. I thought a lot of the tried we conceded down that edge were Jed’s fault he looked all at sea.

Our kicking game again wasn’t great I’m still waiting for our number 7 to take charge of the kicking game. In a few of them he was not standing deep enough again and hence got found out a few times.

Knight was gassed after 5mins he was woeful so far off first grade standard.

I thought Duncan was good but needs to bulk up a bit more. Shaq and DSF did not let us down. Host and Chee Kam were ordinary.

Cody was our best and I thought Tass had a strong game.

Junior a poor first stint but much better second stint. It was a solid first game back from Keaon.

As for Atkins we knew it was coming. With 4mins to go we had a big chance too and he calls forward pass off a pass that’s 1 metre backwards after letting Canberra get away with at least 8 forward passes during the game.

Next two games against Titans and Dragons I feel are must win. We have to get it done.

Disappointing to lose tonight but I wasn’t confident going in.
Host and Chee Kam were ordinary because they are ordinary.
Neither have the strength of the speed to break the line, they are ok for bench depth forwards but they offer no impact.
Shaq was very good, HE offers impact. We need more guys like that.

Last edited:

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Well what we learned from last nights game is that Cheekam , Knight and Cartwright are not up to it. Milne was pathetic and defence across the park a joke.We also learned that without our origin players we are ordinary. LEAVE TALLIS DUNCAN in the 17 he’s much more talent than Liam Knight. Taafe is not a first grade fullback , smashed in his returns and defence ordinary.Cheekam made 51 metres and hardly terrifying the opposition, Knight made a feeble 51 metres and was spent after 10 minutes. Walker a standout, with Tom and Davy out and Graham , sadly we are only just a team, with all our players back we can still win the premiership, but the coach needs to pull his head in with players not up to it.I won’t dwell on ref but their are some poor inconsistent ruining a game.That was not the reason we lost. A welcome return to koala, and Johnston scoring again.THE COACH NEEDS TO DELIVER SOME TRUTHS to certain players.
Agreed, except for Milne, I know he's dicey out wide, but Cartwright just does not have the speed to play as a centre. Jed being able to play centre is a myth. He gets burned and then Milne has to cover, and he doesn't have the speed to do that either.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
The sides that we have a poor record against in the last 5-7 years, have a similar theme.
Melbourne and Canberra. Even Penrith to a lesser extent
MUCH bigger and stronger in the forwards, we just struggle to stop their go forward.
We need to find a few really BIG guys, Host, Chee Kam, Cartwright, are all just too small or too lightweight. Sele is good with the ball but gets overpowered by these bigger guys on D.

handyman2190

Bench
We are not active enough in recruitment, i keep saying it but nothing happens,take the dogs as an eg, they have to be close on the cap but gould never stops looking, signing fringe or young players with potential, ok we signed a big young forward last week and latrells cousin but we need to go deeper,our nsw cup side is ordinary thus our backups are ordinary, knight is being given a chance to show his talent and will be gone end of season. Taane we are stuck with but he isnt a winger, he needs to play in the forwards, he is just too slow. We need to make sure we dont lose our centre tass parra are after him and play him on the wing when wighton comes, we need to be active looking for bargains not just older players like cheekam who noone wants.

Travitoh

First Grade
Last nights game doesn't worry me. It was pretty much a patched together reserve grade playing firsts. The most frustrating part is the timing of it as we are now on a two game losing streak after last week's display.

The club has already began moving down the junior pathways for depth, but that takes time to bare fruit. We currently rely on guys like MCK, Milne and Cartwright who are all reserve grade footballers in their prime. Not to knock them but they are what they are. As the pathway develops, we'll get more depth with actual first grade upside and rely less on cast offs from other clubs.

As much of a nuisance as origin is, we're affected by it because we're a good team.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I want to know in what areas is Ilias growing his game? I’m not seeing it. He’s getting us no repeat sets as well and an ordinary kicking game.

Cody was so shattered at the presser close to tears that’s the attitude I wanna see

Bobby Moses

Juniors
Ilias takes the line on exceptionally well and it is this that is of enormous benefit to Cody ,,,, it gives him space and time to weave his magic. Ilias’s defence is fantastic however his kicking game is very ordinary. I also believe Milne is a defencive liability. He comes in off his wing to shut down the play but rarely succeeds which leaves his centre exposed and looking like it is their fault.

Travitoh

First Grade
I want to know in what areas is Ilias growing his game? I’m not seeing it. He’s getting us no repeat sets as well and an ordinary kicking game.

Cody was so shattered at the presser close to tears that’s the attitude I wanna see
In terms of Ilias's development, who's responsibility is it to help him? If no one is working with him in training then it isn't going to magically happen for him during games.

callmack1

Staff member
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Attack

While I am extremely pissed off today, there are still some real positives to take out of the match. Most notably was our attack because it was pretty good. We struggled for go-forward at times but when the boys did get a bit of a roll on and get up their end, we looked very dangerous and hard to stop. In fact, the attack was pretty blistering at times, especially on the left. Some of the shapes we threw at Canberra were beautiful. Looked like something coming of a play every time we went wide. The Raiders really struggled to handle it and we tore them to shreds a number of times. Of course, there was a couple of sets that were a bit average but for the most part, we were very potent. it was great to watch.

On top of all this, we had one of our best completion rates of the year at 89% which is also impressive.

So I'm very happy with our efforts with the ball.

Defence

Our attack being good just infuriates me more about our defence though because our efforts without the ball, just brought all the efforts with the ball undone. In fact, I wouldn't even call it an effort without the ball to be honest because it was just shocking all game. If we put in even a half decent defensive performance, we're probably all happy today talking about a famous win. But no, the boys were turnstiles.

Right from the opening set, you could see it. They just weren't switched on defensively for the second week in a row. Even when we were on top early and somewhat controlling things, I kept saying that I wasn't happy with the roll on they were getting through the middle. And that's exactly where it started, all through the middle. Our forwards have a lot to answer for in that first half as it just wasn't up to standard. No line speed, no physical presence, the first contact was really poor, and we were really struggling to put guys to ground. The boys kept going high and walking with the ball carrier for 10 meters instead of chopping them low and halting the momentum. 31 missed tackles. That's pretty bad too. This pretty much carried on the whole game. It was not up to standard. As a result, Papali'i, Tapine and Horsburgh just ran riot. They absolutely destroyed us.

The right edge was just as diabolical. I'll go into it more when I do player by player but I just couldn't believe how soft we were out there. The Raiders scored or almost scored almost every time they went wide there. No issues with the left edge defence, last night is all on the forwards and the right edge.

With about eight minutes to go, we're up by 2. All the boys had to do was just do their job and hold them out. But no, we can't even do that. The last try the Raiders scored pretty much sums up our night.

Weak as piss to be honest. I might sound a bit harsh but the boys deserve it. Schoolboy stuff. We go from one of the best defensive teams to conceding 30 in two weeks. Simply not up to our standards and it's the number one reason why we were beaten last night.

Player by Player

Taaffe: Nothing special at all but he filled in okay. I didn't think he was too bad. Very hard done by in the opening minutes with that obstruction call. I didn't think there was much in it, and it would have been the play of his career so far had the try stood. So that was a good start from him. Probably the only real standout thing he did all night though to be fair. From that point on, he didn't really pose a threat at all. Failed to set up his outside men at all and died with the ball a lot. So, nothing special at all. In saying that, he was safe. very safe under the high ball and he mostly did what he could in defence. His only poor moment came with that shocking attempt at tackle on Horsburgh when he scored. That was paper thin stuff. But aside from that, he did what he could in defence, tried his best but he was let down by the front line. Did come up with a massive try saver on Croker in the first half too, that was big. So, nothing special Taaffey. He doesn't offer much for mine, but he is a safe option.

Johnston: Pretty good. Did his job well. Probably lacking a bit with his running game though. He only had seven carries for 65 meters. Given that a few of those would have been kick returns, we need more than that from AJ. However, it was a great finish for both his tries, awesome stuff and awesome to see him with another double. He was unlucky not to get a third. Defensively, he was awesome, didn't put a foot wrong and he was very safe under the high ball.

Tass: I thought Tassy was very good, a nice bounce back after last week. Firstly, his defence was really good which I was glad to see. Shut down Timoko so many times, even when he was looking dangerous, so I was really happy to see that after some of his efforts last week let us down so hats off to him there. I also tip my hat to Tassy's efforts with the ball. Jeez, he worked hard with his carries to help get us out of trouble. 17 runs for 163 meters. That is bloody fantastic! So good to see him take the right option in attack more often than not last night too, including setting AJ up for both his tries. The first was brilliant hands from him, so quick, so skillful. And then the second he showed poise, timing and Footy smarts to set AJ up. very impressive. To top off his good night individually, Cody put one on a platter for him to score but it was still a great hole run from Tassy. One of his better games this year to be honest.

Cartwright: It's a real shame we can't say the same about his center partner who did not have a good night. Yea, filling the shoes of Stretch is a big ask, but I expect them to be filled a lot better than that. The thing is, Jed started so bloody well! I got quite excited. he looked alright in defence and his running game was so friggin strong. He had some massive carries. Fantastic line run off Cody on that beautiful movement for his first NRL try and then he still had a bit of work to do, but he was good enough to get it done. That was really well done. On top of all this, he was actually defending pretty well to start. However, it's like once Canberra scored their first, he just completely dropped his bundle and then pretty much the rest of the game for him was spent getting a bath. On the Raiders second try, yea, we got a bit stripped for numbers but it's exactly the kind of play that Stretch often shuts down. They go wide, and if you watch Jed, he's really passive and slow to react. It's not until the ball is halfway in midair from Wighton to Kris that he reacts. if he's not so passive and jams quicker there, I feel like he could have shut that down, or at the very least, forced Wighton into a bit of a hail Mary play. Their third try, again we are short of numbers, but again it's a play that Jed could have shut down. He does well to cover and get out to Croker but again, once the pass goes to Croker, Jed is passive. He doesn't make any sort of decision or show any sort of aggression, he just hangs back and hangs off, making it so easy for Croker. Very poor defence. Finally, the comedy that was Jed Cartwright's defence last night concluded with probably the worst of the lot. The game is on the line and he makes a terrible attempt at tackle on Wighton. It was piss weak, arm grabbing stuff. We all know what happened after that. I backed him before the game and actually felt confident in him but jeez, he was poor.

Milne: Not a great night for Taane either. He's copping a bit if flack for our right edge defence but honestly, upon second watch, I'm not sure what more he could do. The worst moment was probably for Canberra's second try, he is even slower to react than Jed in that play, he jams far too late. If he goes with Jed at the same time, he probably makes up for jed's slow reaction and shuts it down. Aside from that, I don't think other tries were his fault. Their third try, he actually makes a cover tackle on Tapine and saves a try, so then he's not out there on the right. On the Starling try, it's Tallis who doesn't slide, Taane has to stay in and follow him as a result, and then he did his best on the last try, not his fault. What I was actually really disappointed with, was his running game. It was pretty bad to be honest. He was very proppy and was trying to put on a bit of footwork in every run, that's never going to work mate, just run hard like you did against the Tigers. Because of this, Taane was ineffective all night.

callmack1

Staff member
Walker: Stand and applaud sort of stuff. Seriously brilliant. Easily our man of the match as he did everything for us and to be honest, I shudder to think what this game would have been without him. It was a masterclass that won't get the wraps it deserves because he was let down by some of his teammates defence. Firstly, he combines awesomely with Lachy on the right early on and shows a great slight of hand to put Cartwright through a gap for a try with a beautiful ball. So friggin good! He then helps set up our second try a bit later with some amazing quick hands that not many players could do. I was in awe of that, so skillful. Cody was then at it once again to start the second half. We'd put together a couple of poor attacking sets and he was pretty filthy but then he just goes boom and pulls the trigger out of what seemed like nothing. he squares up the defensive line and then throws a peach of a ball, straight across the face of two defenders, straight onto Tassy's chest to score one of the easiest tries he'll get. That is ball playing at it's best. I can't believe how he just fired it out of nothing. Moments later, it's Cody again involved in AJ's second try. He combines with Lachy again, takes it right to the line and with help of Host the lead runner, ties up two defenders which creates the two-on-one for Tassy to set up AJ. So classy. But, Cody wasn't done yet as he set up what should have been the match winning try. He picked up his third try assist in the game with an incredible, pin pint kick for Cooky, out of dummy half no less!! Just amazing. On top of all this, I thought his defence was pretty solid. I'm actually going to come out and say that is one of Cody's best individual games of his career. You won't see a better play making performance than that. He put the team on his back, showed great leadership and said "follow me." It's a real shame most of the team didn't.

Ilias: Lachy has copped a bit of flack for his game last night but probably the only thing he cops it about from me is his defence. With the ball, I thought he looked great! Did a lot of good stuff that probably went unnoticed. had a hand in two of our tries and in both, he did exactly what a halfback should. Took the ball right to the line, tied up two defenders each time as he straightened, and then set up his outside men perfectly. His involvement in our first try in particular stood out to me. Just his movement looked great! very hard to defend that. I thought his kicking game, while still room for improvement, was not too bad too. However, he had a defensive shocker for the second week in a row. This has always been the real strength in his game so it's a bit concerning to see it drop off like it has. He was constantly falling off tackles, quite often he came up with some poor reads. And then, he was involved in the defensive read that ultimately cost us the game. Along with Jed, it was such a poor, arm grabbing effort on Wighton and he bet his tackle easily. So pretty disappointing defensively for Lachy, I expect him to bounce back next week.

Tatola: Very poor first stint from him. Shockingly bad in fact. His defence in particular in that stint was really poor. he just looked like he didn't want to do the tough stuff. I lost count of the amount of times he made a weak as piss tackle and then got carried ten meters each time. As a front rower, you've got to help play the platform for your team on both sides of the ball and Junior certainly didn't do that in his first stint which I believe is a huge reason why we lost this one. Granted, I'll give him credit for his second stint as it was much better. Made plenty of awesome carries and found his starch in D but the damage had already been done by then.

Cook: Scored that awesome try of Cody's grubber which was great but that's the only highlight for him. I expected a big game last night btu he didn't deliver. His running game was non-existent, he got run over in defence a lot and way too many of those bloody crash plays that killed a few of our attacking raids. it would probably be one of his worst games for the year.

Sele: Pretty much re-read my comments on Tatola as they're almost exactly what I'd say about Hame too. He's been so good for us this year but just didn't aim up last night.

Host: Poor. Pretty bog average and I don't really have much to say about him to be honest. He was bubbling along really well a few weeks ago but seems to have gone completely off the boil the last two weeks. Just been so ineffective and doesn't want to put in the work lately it seems. He only had 8 runs for 74 meters last night. Very poor. I'd be giving him a bit of a kick up the arse if I was JD. He looks to have got a bit too comfortable.

Koloamatangi: A very welcome return!! he was one of our best, had a really big game. Played right edge, then moved to the middle, then played a bit of left edge but he handled it well. barnstorming run after barnstorming run for him, constantly put his hand up for a carry and had real aggression in each run. 15 carries for 140 meters is one hell of a return. Played the full 80 too, his fitness looked great. Well done Keaon!

Knight: Is this game from him even worth commenting on? I don't want to go attacking anyone in our team but god, he was awful. The fact that JD didn't put him back on once he came off is telling.

Duncan: On a night he'll never forget with his debut, he really impressed me. Great footwork as we saw in his first carry where he beat some rushing defence. Poked his nose through on just about every run he took, Cam Murray style with his footwork again. Handled the defensive side pretty well too.

S.Mitchell: Very, very impressive upon return. I can't actually understate his impact in this game, he was immense. A big reason why the tide turned in our favour while he was on. Showed the rest of our pack how it's done as he actually wanted to get physical and looked hungry. Had plenty of big carries to get us on the front foot. In fact, he was so good that he'd be up there alongside Keaon as our best forward last night. Well done Shaq! Really put your hand up.

Suluka-Fifita: Along with Shaq, he showed the rest of our pack up. Came on and provided great energy. 14 runs for 128 meters is very good.

Chee Kam: Not much to write home about here either, I was pretty disappointed in him as he was largely ineffective. Really annoyed at his effort on the Starling try. he was right behind him at one stage and could have dived and made an effort but didn't.

All in all, a bloody frustrating loss and I am still pretty annoyed. I do feel a bit better after watching the replay and writing this report because really, with all the players we had out, we did okay to push the raiders all the way. But what frustrates me is the fact that it was actually a winnable game, but once again, we threw it away with poor defence. So, I'm kind of proud but as JD has said, being proud isn't enough anymore. We demand better, even with players missing.

So much to work on, onwards and upwards to next week as we look to get out of this mini slump.

Glory, Glory.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Ilias takes the line on exceptionally well and it is this that is of enormous benefit to Cody ,,,, it gives him space and time to weave his magic. Ilias’s defence is fantastic however his kicking game is very ordinary. I also believe Milne is a defencive liability. He comes in off his wing to shut down the play but rarely succeeds which leaves his centre exposed and looking like it is their fault.
Agreed.

Also thought Shaq was close to our best forward and Tallis looked great.
agreed again