What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 V Dogs

Drag Queen

Bench
Dragons looking to atone for 2017 fade out against Bulldogs
Dragons Den News
r0_0_2370_1874_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BITTER PILL: Dragons players look on as their 2017 finals hopes were dashed in round 26 last year. Picture: AAP

DRAGONS skipper Gareth Widdop had never tasted a pill so bitter.

Round 26 last season, St George Illawarra seemingly hurtling towards just their second finals appearance in five seasons, the 12th placed Bulldogs the only thing standing in their way.

You only need to look back at the footage of coach Paul McGregor throwing a ballpoint at the floor in disgust to recall how that finished – the Dragons surrendering a 20-14 lead to ultimately go down 26-20.

In reality, it was merely the final nail in their playoffs coffin, completing a slide from third spot in round 13 to ninth at season's end. It was a slide, four wins in their final 12 games, that still puts an asterisk next to their flying start this season in the minds of many.

It's not something Widdop enjoys thinking about but, as they prepare for their rematch with the Dogs on Monday, it's a reality his side had to face up to in the preseason.

“Obviously we all play this game to play finals, we haven't played finals for a while and and we had a great opportunity there to play finals,” Widdop said.

“It was certainly disappointing, we should never have been in that position after the way we played earlier in the year. In some of those games we played really good football.

"To start the year that way and fall off, then get to a game where we had an opportunity… it was just disappointing the way we played more than anything.

“One game to get in the finals and we just didn't play as a team, we didn't give everything we had and that's probably most disappointing.”

The Bulldogs have proven something of a perennial tormentor of the Dragons in recent years, having handed them a golden-point defeat in their only post-season appearance in the past five seasons in 2015.

Widdop sent the match to golden point with two clutch long range goals before putting an attempted 40-20 out on the full in the first period of extra time.

It's a moment he'd like to have over again, but he insists those two results won't be driving him on Monday.

“Each and every year's a new team team so, for me as an individual, no,” he said when asked if he had any added motivation.

“I obviously remember it. It was a tough game, I went for a 40-20 and put it out on the full then Josh Reynolds kicked the field goal.

“That's the way it goes, it was really disappointing at the time but it was great to be playing finals football again.

“[This week's] just another game where I need to go out there and do my job for the team and not think about what's happened in the past.”

The match may not hold any added significance for Widdop, but winger Nene Macdonald made no secret of his desire for revenge.

“I'm not sure about the other boys but, personally, I'm pretty excited to play against them this week,” Macdonald said.

“It was pretty upsetting last year. I love playing finals footy and I've only had one or two chances to do that and we let that one slip.

“I think we'll have a few thoughts about it and what happened last year before the game.

“They played well against us last year to knock us out of the finals so I can't wait to get back out there against them.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...e-for-2017-fade-out-against-bulldogs/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Origin can fire Dragons up in NRL: Widdop
By Australian Associated Press

Published: 15:52 AEST, 6 June 2018 | Updated: 15:52 AEST, 6 June 2018

St George Illawarra NRL captain Gareth Widdop believes the State of Origin experience gained by the Dragons' representative stars will benefit the team for the big games at the end of the season.

While Tyson Frizell is an established NSW second-rower, the rest of the Dragons' Origin crew are relatively unexposed to the juggernaut that is the interstate rivalry.

Queensland halfback Ben Hunt played sparingly off the bench in last year's decider, while NSW forwards Jack de Belin and Paul Vaughan will get their first taste in the series opener.

With the second-placed Dragons in strong contention to advance to this year's finals, Widdop is banking on the occasion to help the club at the business end of the year.

"For a lot of them, it's the biggest games of their careers so far. They'll certainly learn a lot from the players that play, with the coaching staff they've been around," Widdop told reporters on Wednesday.

"They get to play in front of a packed MCG, it'd be incredible and, hopefully, they can bring a little bit of what they've learned from their camp back to the Dragons."

All four were included in the Dragons' squad to back up on Monday against Canterbury, aiming to bounce back from their comprehensive last-start defeat to Penrith.

The 28-2 loss was easily their biggest of the season, and Widdop challenged his team to make amends against the Bulldogs.

"You win some - you lose some. It's how you respond to that. We understand we didn't play to our standards, which is disappointing," Widdop said.

"But it's gone and we've moved on. We've got an opportunity to respond now."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/aap/article-5811113/Origin-fire-Dragons-NRL-Widdop.html

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I don't know if you follow the players on instagram possm, but there were pictures of Gypsy at seaworld, others out and about and Dufty was over at Ayres Rock. By the looks of it they have had a good break over the last couple of weeks.

Yeap they had a week off.
So sould be refeshed.

Drag Queen

Bench
View attachment 20655
Drag Queen , doll I do hope that it is only the good stuff that you are sipping (?) and not that cheap nasty muck in the cardboard container - ' Coolabar ' , otherwise you may have a hangover .
Shouldn't like this but I do luv. I'm going to wake with a hangover nonetheless. My good ole aunt Pauline can drink her way through a whole cask of Coolabah and wake up feeling refreshed (She doesn't look it though, and can't remember a word she said, but says she feels great) Haha.. Woohoo Blues Xx

O'Sullivan

Juniors
We have only won 1 of the past 12 games against the Dogs and they beat us both times we played them last year, not just that last game. They still have a good side. More worrying, Foran is out. He has been their go to man and he has been shit. Worried for one of the more pivotal games for us this year. After the Penrith game we need to bounce back. Will be hard with three very tired forwards.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
We have only won 1 of the past 12 games against the Dogs and they beat us both times we played them last year, not just that last game. They still have a good side. More worrying, Foran is out. He has been their go to man and he has been shit. Worried for one of the more pivotal games for us this year. After the Penrith game we need to bounce back. Will be hard with three very tired forwards.
yes it is a worry because now we truly will see from this game whether we have learned at all from last years shit....I agree the forwards will be tired but we cant afford to rest all three and I certainly hope that Hunt comes up after the game last night because he is the biggest difference between us from last year and us from this year. De Belin probably needs the break more than the others.

We have also lost every single Monday Night game we have contested - I think our record stands at 0 and 5.
We should win but these guys are going to be gritty and will be in our faces all day long.
Any complacency and we will lose.

SBD82

Coach
yes it is a worry because now we truly will see from this game whether we have learned at all from last years shit....I agree the forwards will be tired but we cant afford to rest all three and I certainly hope that Hunt comes up after the game last night because he is the biggest difference between us from last year and us from this year. De Belin probably needs the break more than the others.
All of this "De Belin needs a break" talk is somewhat belied by his performance last night. In the fastest known game of league, playing decent minutes, he held his own against quality opposition.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
All of this "De Belin needs a break" talk is somewhat belied by his performance last night. In the fastest known game of league, playing decent minutes, he held his own against quality opposition.
yeah agree but he just seems slightly restricted and 2 big games within a week must be tough. dont get me wrong, I want him driving bulldogs into the ground like he did to a couple of toads last night.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Brett Morris running amok against the Dragons' flawed right-side and scoring three tries is my biggest nightmare heading into this game.

Of course, as others have pointed out, SGI's record against Canterbury is abysmal.

I'm not confident...not one iota.

Crush

Coach
Can't wait for JDB and Hunt to be the best players on the paddock on Monday arvo when the Dragons beat the Dogs only for the forum to bag Mary for playing them "injured".